2002 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1481 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

A word of caution!

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "attractive, fun to drive, small."

Cons: "Transmission, requires regular maintenance"

"My parents purchased a 2002 Jetta GL for me as a first car due to its high safety rating. I would agree that it's a very safe car and I'm not ashamed to be seen driving it. It's heavy, which is nice for me as I do a lot of driving in wet weather and in six years I have yet to hydroplane or skid out. Plus it has plenty of airbags and a solid frame. The brakes are responsive, it accelerates reasonably quickly, and it handles surprisingly well for an entry-level subcompact. Even a decade old it's still a fun car to drive and I love driving a car that's nimble. But this is not a car to own out of warranty, especially not at the base model. The engine has given me nothing but grief, which is why I'm getting rid of it. I had to rebuild the transmission about three years ago and the engine is beginning to break down so I have to add oil pretty regularly. And now the oil warning light doesn't come on until my car is completely dry, which means that I have to check the oil weekly or I run the risk of driving on a dry engine and causing it to seize. The mechanic I take my car to has told me that it's common for the motors on Jettas to go after about 175K miles, at which point the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Also, as it's an older car, it has a timing belt instead of a timing chain and if you lose the timing belt, you lose the engine. The timing belt needs to be replaced around 90-100K, so if you're looking at purchasing an older Jetta, be sure to ask whether the timing belt has been replaced. The fuel economy is nothing special, I find that I get about 15-17 mpg in city and I can bump it to about 20-22 if I'm doing mostly highway driving. Speaking of highway driving, here's another place the car's weight comes in handy. The car stays pretty steady even in heavy winds. Overall this car is good for a beginner driver or someone who's pretty handy with cars, but if you're looking to keep this car into the 100K mile range and you need a car that you aren't going to have to worry about, I would recommend looking elsewhere."

Luv my Jetta

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2008

"I bought my Jetta used with 97k miles. I am now approaching 200k miles with only a few minor repairs. The car still runs smooth, drives great, and has plenty of power. My only complaint is that routine maintenance is more expensive than for other cars I have owned."

My Best Car ever!

By on Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"It gets 50 on the highway, averages high 40s in the city for MPG. Comfortable, dependable, most of my 2000 still has all the original equipment on it! Had to just give it a new set of "shoes" (suspension) and had the intake manifold cleared of cheap diesel slug. This car is safe and solid. You can not give me enough money to buy, it has far past its original sticker price with having stainless steel exhaust (haven't replaced YET, still using the original clutch on the manual trans...). If you can find one, they are just getting better with age and mileage!"

2002 Jetta Saved my Life

By on Friday, September 07, 2007

"I bought a 2002 Jetta GL 2.0 5 Spd, fully loaded two months ago - I was hit by a 2000 Red Toyota Camri on my drivers side door and than hit a utility pole. The officer said I had a 205 chance of living, I walked away from the accident on my own two legs with a few bumps and bruises. My Jetta saved my life! It took the impact to the drivers side door as if she hit me going 5 mph vs. the 40 mph she was going. Than I must have collided into the pole at least at about 20mph and the jetta took it like a champ! I love my Jetta's and I will never buy another brand of car again! VW all the way"

Great, except for the electrics :-(

By on Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pros: "Great mpg, good in hills and mountains, handling"

Cons: "Electrical issues"

"I love my 2002 Jetta TDI Wagon, except... for the faulty door sensors. For the last few months, the alarm system is now sounding off at random, often at 2A in the morning. This could be an issue any of the doors, tailgate, and hood. Reading the various web sites and bulletin boards about this issue. Well, the repair can be quite expensive if performed at a dealership. If you are handy, you might be able to fix it yourself, which takes about 2 hours per door. I may try to disable the door sensors and that may make things tolerable. If not, perhaps a trade in. But not another VW. I hear the newer models all have a range of glitches and much lower quality materials in the interior."

This is the best car I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "reliable, gas milage, comfortable, great drive"

Cons: "small trunk opening, rear light issues,"

"This car has been very reliable over the 12 years that I have owned it. Gas mileage 49.6 miles/(US) gal over 6 months last summer. I'll never buy another gas model car again. 310,000 miles and still going stong"

Driving it until the wheels fall off!

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive; great gas mileage (38/40mpg)"

Cons: "repairs can be expensive out of warranty"

"Had it since new. Love the way it drives. I fit in it well for a smaller car (6'). Good daily driver for a warmer state and the gas mileage is unbeatable. Expensive to get repairs the older it gets. Lot of the little interior bits break over time, but if you can live without a cup holder it's fine. Not very user friendly to do any work on it yourself, so you need a mechanic if anything breaks. Most major repair issues were covered under 5 year extended warranty and VW recalls."

Stay away from automatic trans

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, good design, base model options"

Cons: "auto trans, slow w/ 2.0, questionable reliability"

"Purchased this car 6 months ago. Cam sensor acting up when purchased and ultimately needed to be replaced. Drives well and looks good, overall feels solid. Stay away from the automatics and get the manual, they are known to be bad and I see them at transmission shops all the time. Slow acceleration with 2.0. Gets okay gas mileage, should get more mpg for what it is. Small back seat. Great factory monsoon system. Glove box handles break all the time. heated cloth seats are great for cold weather. Moderate wind noise on highway. High RPM at highway speeds."

Good car for the initial investment

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "Initial cost, MPG, durability"

Cons: "Repair costs, electrical system"

"Bought my 2002 Jetta from Carmax at a good price in 2006. The car had 30,000. It's been mostly reliable but has had many of the same issues that other owners have described; catalytic converter, coil wire, windows falling down ($415.00 to replace 1 regulator) & a finicky alarm system that seems to have a mind of it's own. Overall I'm happy with the car but unsure if I'd buy another one."

The car was built like a tank

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"I owned a 2002 Jetta and one awful night I hit a huge puddle of water, spun out and hit a concrete median head on at approx. 65 mph. The entire front end of the car was unrecognizable, but I only walked away from a horrendous crash with a sore neck and a few bruised ribs from the seat belt. The police officer on the scene could not believe I was not dead on impact. I miss that car, but it saved my life."