2001 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1495 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Fun driver

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"I bought my 2000 GLX new in Feb. 2000 and have logged 82,000 miles. Car is well-maintained and has always been serviced by the dealership. I've never owned a better driving car. Consistently get 26-27 mpg on the highway and 16-20 around town depending on density of traffic and stop and go. Switched from premium to mid-grade when gas went over $2.50/gal with no noticable difference in mileage or performance. With a VR6 engine it scats like a cat. Wheels will chirp if you aren't careful when taking off from a stop. Engine and automatic trans. are well matched to the weight of the car. The list of standard equipment is impressive. The anti-lock breaks perform well even in a panic situation. The rain-sensitive wipers are cool as is the self-dimming mirror. I love the right side mirror that tilts downward to view the curb when parallel parking. The heated, electrically operated front seats provide excellent lumbar support. With the adjustable steering column it's impossible not to find a comfortable driving position unless your unusually tall. Mechanically the engine has been terrific but I've had more problems with the coolant and pollution control systems than I would have expected. I replaced the rear brakes and original tires at 60,000 miles. Front pads are still serviceable - checked at every service. Love the Monsoon sound, the well-tailored leather interior and the fit and quality of every component. Car has always been garaged and the Atlantic Blue clearcoat finish still looks new thanks to Mother's Carnauba wax. I would recommend a Jetta VR6 to anyone looking for a car that won't give you a lot of engine headaches. The greater dependability over the 4 cylinder is worth the slight mileage penalty. I wanted a car that wasn't going to grow old on me quickly and I got exactly what I was hoping for."

great mpg

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I have had the car a couple of years now bought it used with 51K on it. It is a 2004 Jetta GL wagon TDI. Ihave taken it on many trips and got 49.8 MPG avg. I did put in a K&N air filter it gave me 2 to 3 MPG. I only use the VW 50501 oil and the oil stays clean. I now have 100,000 miles on it and the only repair I had to make was a timing belt and water pump only because it was recommended by VW at 80,000 miles. By doing it before it goes out saved me $2500 in repair of damage it would have caused to the motor if I had waited until it went out. I did the work myself and it cost about $400. Overall the car is great and very dependable best MPG of any car I ever owned and performance is not bad either very peppy. I would definitely buy another one."

Biggest Mistake of My Life

By on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"Buying my 2002 Jetta quickly became the biggest mistake of my life. I owned a 92 Corolla that was falling apart that was more dependable. In the two years i've owned my Jetta (purchased it in 06) The heated seats have caught fire, the hazard lights have a short which causes them to click non stop like they're on (when they're not), my windshield cracked without being hit (and without bad weather), it has had complete power failure while driving in a major intersection three times, i've had to have the alternator replaced, spark plugs, fans, countless hoses, pumps, and not to mention the battery replaced four times so far. There was also a problem where the car would not shift gears, instead the engine was groan and then the entire car would shake violently (because of a short with the break light). Another time my car refused to shift gears and accelerate causing my car to shake violently while on my way to work. It has been nothing but recalls, problems and stress. I'm paying more money for it than I should have (thanks to the dealership) and on top of that i pump ungodly amounts just to keep it running (which doesnt work because it leaves me sitting in parking lots on a regular basis). It literally breaks down for at least a week every other month, and i've known others with the same jetta that had the same problems. Oh...and the Stereo/Cd Player/Radio just died the month after I got the car. It has power, it is just frozen on one channel and has no volume..it also refuses to play any type of cd or casset."

Fun to drive, but no Peace

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"We bought our 2001 1.8L Turbo, Wolfsburg new. While still making payments we've replaced: the transmission (lifetime warranty on the powertrain - 2001 was last year for this), catalytic converter, every seal several times ~ still cleaning oil off my driveway ~ , water pump, timing chain, alternator, oil pan (somebody somehow stripped the plug so we had to replace the whole thing - $600!), and all other major funtional engine parts have been replaced. If not that then the usual normal oil change and batteries in between dropoffs to the mechanic. It's like we were making double payments until it was paid off, now just a single payment. Numerous recalls - we can't recall them all, and one sits on the table yet again. Think arranging your schedule to drop car off to the dealer or mechanic just about every month. Unfixed items remain: the cup holder in front, clip to the center console, spring on passenger seat that moves it, clip on visor, the upgraded 6 CD changer that intermittently recognizes your CD and is in the trunk (you have to stop the car, get in and out several times to get it to play your CD, from day one) - all kinds of little stuff that eliminates the great gas mileage and joy in the turbo and handling - great when we're not on our way to the mechanic! ... and breaks your budget. Nothing inside has broken for about 6 months, so we're saving our $50's and $100's to get the pesky things fixed...or not. I loved my '87 Jetta, should have kept it. Hear great things still about these Jetta's, but we've had a bad experience and are looking for a different vehicle so hopefully we can go, say, 4 months without seeing our mechanic - you know, for an oil change."

TDI Gas Mileage Rocks!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"We bought our Jetts TDI in 2000, because of the gas mileage. We average 50 mpg for running around town and my commute. This summer drove to Tennessee and got 60-65 mpg. Problems: Cylinder issues year 4, fixed at dealership first time. Glow plugs year 4, driver's power window broke year 6, husband fixed. Back seat cup holder broke month 6, front cup holder year seven, It was incredibly pesky, but now I miss it, since the car is manual. Dealer said it would be $200 to fix back cup holder, don't want to think what the front cup holder would cost! Lots of room for driver and front passenger, I cannot ride in back without getting car sick. It isn't comfortable unless you are a size zero which will work for my daughter and her friends. LOL. Love the trunk it will fit my massage table plus luggage for 3 women. My husband calls it the bottemless trunk. I did manage to fill it up for camping once. I would buy another, though I think I am going to get the wagon next time and hope for more room in the back seat."