2001 Volkswagen Jetta

7.5

Based on 1483 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Excellent dependability and fun

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "looks like grandma's car"

"Have 280K and climbing, never had any functional problems, sure change a seat heat sw and do scheduled maintenance but it's an 2003. Power train is sound, I just change the oil every 15k, and run #2 (no bio or tree hugger stuff) I like the stogy exterior design, never turns heads like rice rockets hence no tickets!"

The TDI makes it the best car ever

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Fantastic fuel mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "Cheap plastic pieces all break and need replacing"

"I bought this car new in October of 2000. It now has 195,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Trip to Oregon and back a couple weeks ago netted exactly 52 MPG at somewhat aggressive freeway speeds (manual). The only issue I have is that I need to get a new car for carrying capacity reasons and just can't seem to give this car up. It will be going on to one of my sons, so it will at least be staying in the family. I fully expect that it could go another 200K miles."

Best Car Ever!

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Reason: needed a bigger car

Pros: "gas mielage, front wheel drive, reliability,"

Cons: "front cup holders broke easily"

"This was the second card I owned. I bought my Jetta when I turned 19 and owned throughout my 20's. This car was great on gas mileage and required very little maintenance. Living in Colorado during the winter can be tough without 4WD or AWD, but the Jetta ended up doing really well due to it being a heavier car and Front wheel drive. I would recommend this car for anyone. I really beat it up as teenager and it lived and flourished throughout my mid and late 20's, best purchase ever!!"

3 jETTA S LATER AND STILL GETTING ANOTHER

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "I have loved driving my bright red sporty car"

Cons: "My tape deck quit 4 years ago cd quit last wk."

"i Have owned my present Jetta for 10 years, it was a lease car and had 47,000 when i got it. It has gone over the 250,000 goal I had set to get from it. The condition is still in full driving order with some rust on the trunk area only. I am purchasing another leased Jetta with fewer miles but 6 years old in very good shape, and expect to drive it another 10 years."

Bets car I have owned YET!!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Very drivable, quick, fun, comfy, and good MPG"

Cons: "Coil packs go out, and 3rd gear is a weak point"

On one of our show trips

"I would recomend the 2003 Jetta GLI 24 valve VR6 6 speed to any one from a first time buyer, to a seasoned gear head who likes to moddify their car. From stock to as it sits today this car has given me limited issues, and is extremely reliable. Gas milage is great for a mid size 6 cyl. 200 base/ engine HP is more than enough for fun or trouble, and with basic mods this car should not be ignored as a fantastic daily driver. With a cold air intake kit and cat back exhaust system this car sounds fantasic, and is a real dream to drive. And with the 14.5 gal tank I see 390 to 406 miles to the tank on long drives. The only really bad thigs with this car when buying used are the coil packs, they tend to go out and need replacing with out warning. And 3rd gear in th 02M 6 speed transmission seems to take the most abuse, and would be the chinc in the armor there. Other than that those are the only "bad" points I can think of. I would give this car a 8.5 to 9 out of 10."

On one of our show trips