2000 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1495 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Incredible Mileage

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "45 MPG"

Cons: "Small"

"I got this car as a commuter and have not been disappointed. I average 43mpg mixed driving and 45 mpg highway. The interior is nice, but a little small. An average size person barely fits in the backseat. Overall I like the reliability and comfort of the car, just wish it had a bit more space."

Great fuel economy!!!

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "MPG, Good Sound Sys, Nice Ride"

Cons: "Cramped, Expensive Repairs, $$$$$$$"

"Great fuel economy, however for a 6ft tall 250lb man....it is kinda tight to get in and out of. Also it is pricey to have work done, also its tempermental in the winter time. Just FYI"

Great Car!

By on Friday, August 19, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

"I bought my '04 Jetta (automatic) in '06 with 30,000 miles, now it has 214,000 miles. It's had to have a few minor problems fixed (O2 sensor, thermostat and spark plugs) but for a 7 year old car with 214,000 miles I cannot complain. All parts can be bought from Autozone for a very resonable price, if you have someone to do the labor. You will pay much much more if you go to a dealership. When my daughter turned 16 it was time to pass it on and get a new one for me."

nightmare

By on Thursday, August 5, 2010

"I bought my Jetta used with almost 90k miles on it which I realize is a lot BUT I previously owned an older model Toyota Corolla with similar mileage and had zero problems with it. This Jetta has been a nightmare. Everything that could possibly go wrong with the coolant system has. Various other problems... VWs are not cheap to fix. The front bumper is way too low to the ground. It tears off if you pull into a parking spot with a barrier. My cup holder snapped off. One of my keys (the fancy ones that are $100+ to replace) snapped in half. My visor mirror snapped off... and the list goes on. Now I'm having a big deal fuel related issue that I am mostly likely not going to fix. It's time for a new car. I've had enough. I will never buy a VW again."

Great Excellent Working Vehicle

By on Thursday, June 3, 2010

"This is a nice car to drive around any place you would want. I've owned this car for a long time and this car is just a babe it drives like new even if it has 165,ooo on it and its a 2003 it still drives like new. Great performance i live in the country and have to drive 10 miles to a store and this car is just a gas saver drives me where ever i want to go am looking on buying another 2007 jetta TDI pretty soon."

By on Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"I bought my 2003 Jetta GLS 2.0T brand new and have been in love ever since. It has 108k on it and has never given my any major problems. I have had the occassional recall. The coils were recalled about 6 months after I replaced them and VW refunded my money. I get great gas mileage. It is kind of a small car so if you have anyone in the backseat they won't have much leg room. Starts up everytime and purrs like a kitten, even if it has been sitting for a few days. It is such fun to drive. My only regret is that I did not get the sport suspension. It excelerates pretty darn quick when merging onto NJ hightways, and if you live in NJ you know that's important! I would definitely recommend this car to anyone."

Not major, but annoying problems

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Great powertrain, but be prepared to spend some money on minor repairs. VW has lowered their standards since the late 80's for sure. Overly engineered, the 03 VW Jetta was (and prob still is) notorious for electrical issues (ignition switch, sensors, computer malfunctions, etc). Get used to the glowing check engine light and be ready to make this a permanent part of your dash. Difficult for DIY’s to assess and fix problems and VW parts and especially labor (think $5 sensor costing $200 to replace at the dealer – 5 minute job after needing to replace a second time myself) will bring the cost of the car well over what it's worth. At approximately 100K miles, I got to the point of whether or not I’d make it to my destination without an electrical malfunction, thus causing an engine failure. But otherwise, the engine/trans/mechanical components extremely sound... too bad their run off a computer. But after seeing the marketing strategy at the autoshow this year (focusing mainly on teenie-bopper kids), it'll be a good year for the VW mechanics given that parents will be lining up to get that pesky check engine light shut off with their wallet-full of cash... good move VW!"

best car iv ever owned

By on Thursday, February 11, 2010

"iv had my jetta since it was new. it is a 2001. it now has about 250000 miles on it. i have never had any problems with it. all iv done is kept up with the basic maitnance and it has run perfect. BUY A JETTA. you will be stuck on them for life."

WARNING: Has to be serviced by VW dealer only

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"We owned this car for five years and had several problems with the brake light switch that would cause the gear shifter to lock up making the car unusable. Two brake switch repairs were under warranty and recall, the third time it cost me $350.00 once the car went out of warranty. This car is engineered and designed to be serviced by VW technicians only. You can't even put in your own transmission fluid, you need to have a dealership do that and expect to pay $$$. The car needs specalized equptment to service so expect to really pay out for any needed repair. CD player stopped working at 25,000 miles.... the aluminum wheels seize up on the hub and are next to impossible to get off yourself if you ever get a flat! Expect to be stranded along the roadside, even a sledge hammer wouldn't get the wheel off. We got tired of getting overcharged by the VW dealer for routine maintenance , I traded in our Jetta at 90,000 miles and will never buy another Volkswagen product again. Good Riddance!"

Ok Car...

By on Saturday, September 5, 2009

"I love my '01 Jetta GLS, it's a beautiful car and drives nicely. Unfortunately it's been costly to maintain. My center concole broke, the knob for the mirror adjustments snapped off randomly, my emergency brake light beeps when the circulating air button is on, and I recently replaced the entire exaust system (over $2,000!) and still have problems with a "whoosh"ing sound.... If I continue to maintain it, I'm sure it will last me forever, I just want a hassel-free car."

By on Thursday, August 13, 2009

"I will never buy antoher VW in my life i have had nothing but problems with this car. I cannot wait until the day i pay it off. I will be trading it in as soon as i make that last payment. I have had this car for 4 years and have put more than $5,000 into it and i still need more work done thats going to be another $2,000."

What hype-brid?

By on Monday, June 1, 2009

"This car is the best blend of economy, style and value. I get 43 MPG on average with the A/C on most of the time. It has never left me stranded or broken down, only been to the dealer once for a recall. Best advice I can give you, stay away from dealership service and you'll be better off. Get yourself a VCDS diagnosing system and the car will tell you where it hurts. It'll be easy enough to fix and much cheaper if you do it yourself. I've put 80K miles in 3 years with no headaches ever; the best car purchase I've made. Please don't fall for the hype-brid marketing gimmicks, you won't get the advertised mileage and you'll hate driving something with no personality."

Horrified!!!!!

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"I have a 2004 Jetta 1.8 Turbo. I bought it brand new and after a year the car has given me problem after problem. I had oil slug, water pump fell apart, car not shifting into gear correctly, raving extremely high, shakes really hard when I hit 60mph. It's been in the shop numerous times. I would not recommend the vehicle to my worst enemy."

TERRIBLE

By on Saturday, January 3, 2009

"I think I ended up with the lemon from the bunch, but I've had nothing but issues with what was supposed to be a reliable car. The driver window fell down in the door within two weeks of having it (bought it used; it's an 02 and I got it in 05 with 66k miles). Replaced the alternator (and battery, subsequently) twice. Needs work in the steering column. Brake lights come on and off randomly (but the brakes work just fine). Ignition coils had to be replaced. Some Jettas may be reliable, but labor and parts for this car add up quickly and are NEVER cheap. Get a Honda (like I'm trying to do right now)."

Has been a reliable car from day one

By on Friday, December 5, 2008

"Had mine since it was new. 100K+ miles later and it still runs like new. I can see how repairs would be a problem in some areas, but not for me...although they can be pricey. Mileage is excellent, around 40 city and around 50 highway. The most comfortable small car I've ever been in. If you buy one, you will need to change some things about the way you drive. Can't 'floor' it...it's fast but you have to learn to excellerate in it. Cold weather? You MUST warm it up first...and buy fuel additive if you live somewhere where it goes below 10 degrees in the winter. Even with the heaters for fuel...the additive is a good backup."

an ok used car

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I have had this car for 2 years. Since I have owned it, I have had a handful of things go wrong. First the impeller on the water pump broke, causing the car to overheat. At the same time I opted to have the timing belt replaced to save on labor cost later on. The light on the heater controls quit working. Their is peeling going on inside on the door handles that looks bad, and a coolant light that blinks on intermittently- with no explanation. The car is expensive to maintain, I'm not sure by statistics that I have read, that I will keep this car for very much longer."

constant check engine lights

By on Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Frequent trips to the dealer. Worst reliability of any car I have owned. When it runs, it runs well. This car has had the transmission replaced, and multiple attempts (every six months) for fuel injection malfunctions. It has been maintained by the dealer with synthetic oil changes and runs only on premium gas. We should be buying mass air flow sensors for this vehicle by the case"

Can't judge a book by it's cover...

By on Friday, July 18, 2008

"I bought my 2000 Jetta, used, in 2001 (low miles, mechanic checked). I loved the looks and the styling. The person who said "you can't judge a book by it's cover", was probably a 2000 VW Jetta owner. It has been one thing after another-starting in 2002-@2 years old. Glove box fell apart (I had probably opened the thing 10 times prior). The interior trim coating on the doors flaked off, the drink tray and cover are flimsy, and I've had to replace 2 times- (dealership wants $300 bucks to fix/replace). THe sunroof leaks and doesn't work, The paint on many of the knobs rubs off /worn easily. The door handles came apart from the door (another $300 to fix), the stereo wiring is faulty (stereo works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't). The front spoiler is too low and if you tap it on anything it will fall off-I've had to replace it 7 times. I know others who own these and have had the same problem with front spoiler. This car is not driven roughly. This car is 8 years old and has only 80,000 miles on it. I have had few problems mechanically, but, cosmetically this car has not held up well at all. Would not buy another."

tdi

By on Saturday, May 24, 2008

"i reached 305,000 miles with no major problem. i drive 260 a day."

junk

By on Thursday, May 22, 2008

"This car is over engineered. Have had nothing but problems with it. We keep it serviced by Volkswagen within time and mileage. Something gets fixed and then another problem pops up. Just last week we got a $400 repair done. Suppose to be the cause of check engine light constently coming on. Guess what check engine light is back on. We have taken it to 2 different VW dealers to have the service and repairs done. This car has had way too many issues for me to include them all. Will never buy another VW."

Long drives

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"I bought my 01 1.8T wolfsburg edition jetta in August of 05 for $12k with 72k miles on it. now in may of 08 have racked up to 170k miles still runs strong. I owe what its worth making only my minimum payment. Only problems I've ever had was the water pump went out, and a rear wheel berring which I replaced myself with no special tools. I did have to take the origional to a shop to have it cut off but they didnt charge me. Minor issues, the tail lights dont last long for some reason? I've noticed other Jettas having the same issue. Other than that it has been a wonderfull car, I'd recommend one to anybody!"

Best Car Ever Owned

By on Monday, May 19, 2008

"I bought this car new in September of 2003. I now have 129,000 trouble free miles on it. Mine is an automatic so I average in the low 40s mpg. I put a performance chip in mine at 4 years ago. 115 hp 170ft/lbs torque. It moves! Fun to drive dependable car. Changed the timing belt at 110,000. Cassette player quit and the seats at time get uncomfortable if you ride for a long time. Would I buy another one. Yes. Would you recommend someone buy one yes. I use Amsoil European 5w 40 synthetic oil in mine and expect it to go for another couple hundred thousand miles."

Awesome VDubb

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"I bought the car new in June 2003 with 145 mi on it from the dealer. I have approx 61k miles on it and have never had a problem with the car. It still drives the way it does when I first bought it. It's my first VW, and it won't be my last. I was concerned at first, because of the horror stories I had heard, but, this car has been well worth the money and I couldn't be happier w/it. I do get it serviced regularly every 4k miles. I love my Jet! :)"

A solid, reliable, efficient car

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"Great car. No major mechanical problems and I have 71000 miles now (crossing fingers now that I typed that). Reliable and excellent on fuel mileage. The life of the car's mileage is 41.5 mpg...not bad for an automatic. I average about 70% highway / 30% in town driving per tank. A solid car that I would love to keep, but a growing family might prevent that. A little small on the inside for a 6'2" man. If no one is in the back, it's no big deal though. Seats go back far enough."

Great biodiesel user

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"I bought this car because I wanted to be able to use biodiesel, which is available in this area. Then I found out how fun it is to drive! After having it more than a year, I still love to drive it and have used biodiesel and petrodiesel in any mixture. It runs great with both and have done oil changes but no repairs other than taillight bulbs. The pump diesel in the 04-06 vw's has great torque and using biodiesel really lowers the pollution. My combined city/highway fuel mileage is 42 mpg."