2000 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1495 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Great fuel economy and fun to drive!

By on Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Pros: "40 mpg average, great pickup"

"I'm the second owner of this car, buying it from a dealer when it was 2 years old and in excellent condition. This is the second Jetta TDI for me. Mostly I use this car for myself, in town and highway driving with almost no maintenance. It needed a timing belt at 100,000 miles (this is standard service for a diesel) and one of the battery cables went bad. I've had the oil changed every 10,000 miles using full synthetic oil. The only minor complaint I have is that the back seat is a bit small, but this car will accommodate 5 average sized people without any trouble. I love the moon roof with the option of flipping up or sliding it open. Using the key to open or close all the windows at once is fun to use. I like that I can do minor things, like replacing the lights, myself. This is a wonderful car to own, and I usually fill up every one and a half to two weeks. It's been a great car for me since 2007."

my jetta made me broke

By on Saturday, March 13, 2010

"VW are suppose to have a reputation of dependable efficient cars; this may be the case with others, but I regret the day that I bought my Jetta 1.8t. Since the purchase 5 years ago, I have replace the engine, the turbo, thermometer, and numerous sensors. On average every 2 months I am taking my car to the shop. The repair bills became so common that at times I had no other option but to forgo my car note and use that money for repairs. I don't drive excessively, just to work, the store, chruch, and school; all which are in a 10 mile radius of my residence. I would NOT suggest a VW to anyone, unless you have a spare car that can be used while your potential VW is in the shop. My spare car, an 86 Grand Prix is more reliable than my 01 Jetta, thats sad for VW"

terrible trans

By on Friday, October 9, 2009

"Worst puchase ever. I've owned it for 5 months and for 7 weeks of those 5 months it has been in the garage. Transmission jerks hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd. They can't seem to fix the problem. Look up 2004 transmission problems before purchasing one of these nightmares!!!!!"

absolutely love it compares to my bmw

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "high quality with German performance"

Cons: "small interior for a big person"

"I have owned this car since new and passed it to my 20 something daughter who uses it to commute on one of the most heavily traveled highways in the US. This car is a pleasure to drive! German engineering in a big 6 cylinder gives it responsiveness, tightness and a good feel for the road. It can be trusted to accelerate when necessary and stop on a dime. Maintenance has been low for high mileage. It is a workhorse that is safe and sexy. I returned to bmw's as my car of choice but this little sweetheart stole my heart! I love getting back into it every time I can. The blue dash lights and courtesy lights at night, the leather, the pleasing esthetics and design all give me such delight."

Worst Car Ever!

By on Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"I have basically had to replace every part of this car. I have spent $8,500 in repairs in the last two years, replacing the transmission, water pump, gas tank, axel, and so on. I have paid almost as much in repairs as I owe on the car."

money pit

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I had my jetta for three weeks before the motor blew up going down the road and left me stranded. After a very expensive overhaul it was up and going again in a month and a half. Then the tranny began to have problems shifting and staying in gears. We ended up having to put a 4500 dollar new tranny in it after reverse went out completly. Now that we have it back again we recently found out that the turbo is leaking oil into the motor and now we have to put another 2000 into a new turbo. before we can begin driving it again. keep in mind that all of this has happened within a nine month period."

I wanted a Jetta for over 10 Years!

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Great Handling, Great Reliability, Great Price"

Cons: "No backseat cupholders, Little Console room"

"My roommate had a New Jetta every year she went home for the holidays. I drove hers often. The last model she owed was the TDI and was impressed by Gas Mileage, comfort, and handling of the vehicle. I finally purchased the Jetta GLS Sedan 2 years ago. I took it to mechanic before purchasing and had very few issues, which the used dealer fixed after the checkout. I was also told that around 100,000 miles, a very costly part needed to be replaced. It's still running without replacement. There is only 1 VW dealership where I live, and had to go to them to get antifreeze that was low due to the type used in VW, it's the only place to get it. I bought this car used, as it was affordable, in great condition with nearly 100,000 miles on it. It's a Manual transmission, easy to drive, however, I recommend using a Bluetooth if you plan on talking on the phone. It has a large gas tank, I believe 15-17 gallons, and my in town mileage is not great. I can go about 400 miles to a tank of gas. I would have anticipated better mileage on a 4 cylinder 5 speed. However, overall the HANDLING of this model is tremendous! I just recently realized that I need new tires due to minor slipping on wet roads from a complete stop. I've not any issues with slipping or sliding in rain or ice for 2 years. The second vehicle in the house, much newer and more costly, slides on damp pavement, with new tires, giving me more appreciation for the design, handling, and feeling of safety that my Jetta provides me and my family. It's a wonderful vehicle, and hope that it stays in my family for many more years!"

Peppy, Reliable, and FUN.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior, cheap plastic"

"When I purchased this car, I was kind of worried about the electrical issues on the older VW's. But this one I have never once had anything go wrong. Just one sensor and the catalytic converter. Cheap fixes. One thing I would reccomend is getting one with alloy wheels, not hubcaps. They fall off too easily. And the tan interior shows dirt REALLY bad."

Great except for costly, constant repairs

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "cheap to start with, stylish, comfortable"

Cons: "REPAIRS! Interior is a little cramped"

"I LOVE my Diesel Jetta. Oh yeah, except for having to replace the fuel pump, the turbocharger (twice), the transmission, and the emissions system. I love the fuel mileage, but any savings I ever had in fuel have been eaten up with costly repairs. Volkwagen has proprietary parts, so there is no alternative to going for their expensive parts. I have had factory recommended maintenance from the dealer, but I have still had repair after repair. I have truly enjoyed the ride, the style, and the fuel economy, but I cannot recommend this car, and I will not buy a Volkswagen again."

Amazing car

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Amazing value and performance, reliability."

Cons: "Qualified mechanics can be hard to find."

"My Jetta is a 2003 TDI with just over 250K on the odometer. Bought it very lightly used 6-1/2 years ago. It still gets 45 mpg day in and day out, driving about 700 miles a week. After I had put 120000 more miles on it, a nearby dealer made an offer to buy it for what I had paid for it. This is my second VW diesel--the first was a 1979 Rabbit that I drove for about 11 years. These are great cars."