2000 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1459 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Worth the money due to build quality

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Pros: "Base package more opulent than comparable cars"

Cons: "No GPS or other tech features"

"The price, when seen by others comparing to domestic auto prices, seems high. However, once they get in the seat and realise the quality of the car's build, they begin to understand better. Many features are considered standard for these cars. I'd rrecommend against getting an automatic transmission for Volkswagens, as I've heard many people speak out against VW's auto-trannies. These cars have quieter rides than many of their much more expensive equivalents. Reliability is very high for these cars. Just keep your fluid levels good and your Jetta will be your best friend. No navi or Bluetooth, but considering year these weren't likely existent. A great commuter car; upholds "elegance in simplicity.""

Best Value and Fuel Efficiency of any car.

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Pros: "Great ride, incredible fuel economy, versatile"

Cons: "Not an Aston Martin"

"Even with a ton of miles on my 2005 VW Jetta TDI Wagon it doesn't rattle or burn oil. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump twice and anything else that normally wears out with use. The exterior paint and interior are nearly new. Early on I made the decision that I would keep this car on the road for several very good reasons: fun to drive, great torque, reliability, cargo space and 53 MILES TO THE GALLON. Property tax and insurance are very low as well. I purchased the car for $23,000 and I have been offered $9500 this past week. I have no intention of selling this car with fuel prices still going up."

Love to Drive & Maintain This Car

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, inexpensive DMV registration & insur"

Cons: "Flap under the front bumper"

"I bought the car used with 87,000 miles already. I was the second owner. Maintenance was very reasonable;fun to drive. I loved the manual transmission. The exterior paint is superior. The interior was well taken care of -- (NO EATING or SMOKING in the CAR) The only thing I hated was the flap under the front bumper, which got caught on the cinder block in the parking lot if you get too close. Insurance on the car was inexpensive. CA Registration was only $81. However, the ultimate compliment came from my 18 year old nephew. He likes to work on cars and was salivating for the day when he could own my car. He was able to change out the front & rear brakes, which saved me a ton of money. I'm really going to miss my 2000 VW Jetta."

Fantastic car for anyone to love.

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, Styling, Gas Mileage and fun to drive"

Cons: "Aftermarket electronic upgrades impossible to find"

"This car has been great to me, KINDA. I only say kinda, because I had an issue with it, but its mostly my fault. I bought the car with 47,000 miles on it, at too steep of a price, but willing to pay for a car that should last a half million miles or more properly maintained. Well after owning it about three months we drove from Cincinnati to NYC to propose to my current wife, and before we left I taught her how to drive the 5 speed. She did great. On our way home though I was violently awoken to hear that the car won't move forward just rev's. Well the dual mass flywheel had gone out with the clutch. So it was way early to have this repair, BUT with two drivers new to that clutch we must have done some wear and tear on it unfortunantly :(. Other than that though the car has been fabolous. Driving regularly I get an average of 45 miles to the gallon, but if i push it I can nearly break 60 mpg which is amazing for gas that costs the same or less sometimes than regular to fill up. Multiple of my friends have now switched to volkswagen because of this car and my last golf. I hope everyone gets to experience the joys of driving a german car at some point, because unlike american cars, the steering wheel actually feels attached to the tires when you make a turn lol. Hope everyone enjoyed."

Oh the problems

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Sporty"

Cons: "Reliability"

"It's a small sedan low miles, what problems could this give me? Had the car for two years. Calipers, master cylinder, injectors, water pump, and the whole freakin transmission have all failed. I only put 6k on the freaking thing."

Not a good car, breaks down often.

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "Looks nice, super fast and fun to drive"

Cons: "breaks down more than it runs"

"Do NOT buy this car. I have owned a lot of cars, Ford Chevy, Honda, Nissan, Now VW is garbage. Breaks down often and frequently. So if your thinking it looks cool, your right looks good and breaks even better and not cheap parts being foreign and all. this is my warning to you all. Do not do it."

Very bad car

Cons: "Everything is bad in this car"

"I will not buy another one again buy the car with 24.000 own the car for 6 years has 108,000 omg spend money all the time transmition shooks the starter and the alternator twice inside the car the panel the celing looks very very bad I will not recommend this car at all my friend own one too and has the same exact problems only good thing is the gas l Mileage other than nothing good"

Very bad bad car

Cons: "Everything is bad in this car"

"I will not buy another one again buy the car with 24.000 own the car for 6 years has 108,000 omg spend money all the time transmition shoks the starter and the alternator twice inside the car the panel the celing looks very very bad I will not recommend this car at all my friend own one too and has the same exact problems only good thing is the gas l Mileage other than nothing good"

Very bad bad car not recommend this car

I own this car

Very bad bad car not recommend this car

I own this car

50 MPG ON ONE GALLON OF GAS ROUND TRIP ACROSS MTN

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "SUPER EASY TO DRIVE"

Cons: "NO LEATHER SEATS"

"THIS IS THE BEST VEHICLE! SUPER PEPPY,RELIABLE,COMFORTABLE, AGILE! CLIMBS AFTON MOUNTAIN IN FIFTH GEAR LIKE A V8 ENGINE AND SIPS LITTLE GAS. BODY,INTERIOR,EXTERIOR IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. EASY VEHICLE TO SERVICE. SUPER FAST ON THE INTERSTATE & AROUND WASHINGTON,DC CAPITAL BELTWAY. VEHICLE FACTORY EQUIPPED BURGLAR ALARM,ENGINE IMMOBOLIZER,RADIO ANTI-THEFT ACTIVATED WITH THE LOCK OF DOORS. WILL NEED TO SELL DUE TO CANCER."

some positive some negative

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "cool car, smooth ride"

Cons: "lots of repairs"

"I've had this car for 6 years. Positives -Smooth ride -Good looking car -good visibility from inside the car Negatives -My car burns oil like no other. If I drive frequently, I need to add oil to the car about 3 times per week.... -I am at 72k miles and nearly every part of the car has broken. -Not having automatic windows and mirrors is a pain for numerous reasons. If I had't had so many mechanical issues with this car I would give it a very positive review, but all of the repairs I have paid for this year have cost me more than the total current value of the car.."

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE 2000 VW DIESEL JETTA!

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "fUN TO DRIVE"

"THE ONLY FLAW WAS THE TURBO GOT SHOT OUT IN THE FIRST 4 YEARS, BUT OTHER THAN THAT, I LOVE THE CAR .... It is still going strong at 294, miles"

Nearly 250k miles and still runs like a champ!

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "Durability, Dependability, Great MPG"

Cons: "Plastic pieces inside the car are cheap and break"

"I'm the second owner of this car. I purchased it in 2002 with 37k miles on it. It now has 244k and I can still spin its tires! It still runs on the ORIGINAL CLUTCH and has never had any engine repair. We consistently still get 32mpg! The only negative thing I have to say about this car is that all of the little knobs and details in the car are made with cheap plastic and much of it has since broken off. Things like the cup holder have broken and replaced twice. The center console has also broken. Awesome car. We're just now replacing it with a slightly newer version we love it so much. Sad to see it go."

Okay car

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Good mpg, fun to drive"

Cons: "Too small, electrical issues, transmissioproblems"

"Decent car with a 23 mpg average. At 100k I had to replace the pump which is normal. It hesitates when I put it in reverse and recently found out the transmission is leaking fluid. It also leaks oil. The heated seat on the drivers side stopped working. Sometimes the lights inside the car don't work. Usually the ones in the front. Beside those electrical issues and it leaking transmission fluid it has been a pretty good car I bought it with 86k miles most of the miles I put on it were highway. It's fun to drive. It has good brakes the steering is good too. It's pretty small inside which is why I'm getting rid of it. I had a baby and there's no room for all of our stuff. And if I go shopping it's nearly impossible to fit everything inside. The trunk only has room for the stroller."

Great economical car

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "gas saver, easy handling, fun to drive"

Cons: "nay on stick shift and limited rear seat space"

"Great economical car, good handling, comfortable ride. I use it for my 20 mile commute to work and errands. I have even taken it on 800 mile vacation trips and got 33 mph on the freeway."

3 jETTA S LATER AND STILL GETTING ANOTHER

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "I have loved driving my bright red sporty car"

Cons: "My tape deck quit 4 years ago cd quit last wk."

"i Have owned my present Jetta for 10 years, it was a lease car and had 47,000 when i got it. It has gone over the 250,000 goal I had set to get from it. The condition is still in full driving order with some rust on the trunk area only. I am purchasing another leased Jetta with fewer miles but 6 years old in very good shape, and expect to drive it another 10 years."

Beware - 2000 Jetta GLX

By on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pros: "Fun car to drive, has zip, leather/heated seats"

Cons: "breaks down too much! electronics are spotty"

"I bought my 2000 Jetta GLX manual (used) just over a year ago. I got it from a family member who took good care of it. Just after a month of having the car, the a/c compressor went out. It made a horrific grinding noise while driving. I've also had to replace the computer chip in the driver's side door. One day the window decided not to open and the rear view mirror control started to lock and unlock the doors. My moon roof likes to open on it's own from time to time as well. Just recently, the car overheated. Found out that the thermostat casing had a crack and the water pump had broken. My mechanic also discovered that the oil that was put into the car was the wrong kind. (Most shops don't know anything about VW cars...even the ones that work on imports). Now I have come to find out that my timing chain is bad because the oil pressure has screwed up a tension rod. There was also some sort of clip that broke inside the manual gear shift. I couldn't go in reverse or really use any gear other than 3rd. I've put too much money into this car for what it is worth. This thing has been a total Lemon. Use caution when purchasing this vehicle. It's fun to drive around town but it's been into the shop every other month it seems."

She's Been a Good Ride!

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Reason: Wanted newer car

Pros: "Handling, Tape Deck, Location of cupholders"

Cons: "4-cyl can be sluggish"

"I have enjoyed my Jetta Wagon. Gas mileage is good. Handling is excellent. Not as peppy as I'd like, but she is only a 4-cylinder. Overall, great car. Minor repairs needed (totalling $1000 in 3-yrs ownership). I would recommend this car. Sold only because I'm upgrading to a 2012 Passat."

11 years and still my favorite car

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great mileage, dependable"

Cons: "seats don't hold up,needs custom tune post warrant"

"I was middle aged when I purchased this car 11 years ago, now a senior and i still enjoy this car. I have only been towed once in 168k, the turbo blew. It was tuned 2.5 years ago and mileage actually improved to a city/hwy average of 42mpg and I have achieved 50+ on a few trips even with a heavy r foot. It handles well with decent tires and is fun on curvy roads! It carries a bunch of stuff capably."

its alright depending on you!

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

"I have owned this car for about 5 years I bought it used with 90,000 miles on it. now has 142,000.it has on going problems occur all the time you fix one thing a short while another breaks. it is however a reliable car! as long as you maintain it well. interior is great seating is nice only if a little bit more room was acquired to the rear seats. space in trunk great! handles good, acceleration and horse power could use work but it gets the job done. I honestly like this car a lot even with the problems it has because it keeps going!"

Never again

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

Pros: "Peppy"

Cons: "unreliable, designed poorly"

"Bought this to replace my 98 Volvo. Constant problems with engine, transmission, thermostat, ASR, air intake (exhaust smell), airbag sensor."

LOVE MY JETTA

By on Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pros: "Never breaks down, runs forever. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Not roomy"

"Awesome sporty looking reliable car. Very sturdy and durable. Not very spacious for passengers especially in the rear. Very economical. Has incredible gas millage and runs like new even after over 100,000 miles. Breaks last forever. Those Germans know how to make a quick little tank with very little maintenance."

Super reliable - Love the TDI

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and really cheap to own"

Cons: "leg room in rear if you have 6 ft+ in your family"

"I have driven this car for the last 5 years. Other than the timing belt two years ago, it has needed zero repairs. I have a 35 mile commute each day and it averages 45mpg. I am at the pump every other week. This is a great car. I am told the diesel engines will easily go 400,000 if well maintained. I change the oil and fluids religiously!! My husband drives a Passat and he is never experiencing trouble either. Heated seats are awesome in winter and AC rocks in summer."

Horrible Car, Money Sucker

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "no cup holders, always needs expensive repairs"

"I absolutely hate my VW Jetta. It has been nothing but a money hole for me. I bought it at a good price but then had to put in over $2000 in repairs when everything seemed to check out fine at the beginning. Most mechanics can't/won't fix it because it is a European made car so you have to take it to the dealership and they charge an arm and a leg for everything. It seems like every single year I have to put it almost $1000 in repairs for it to pass safety/emissions. This car is ridiculous and I will NEVER buy or recommend a Jetta or VW to anyone."