2000 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1477 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Have loved this car for 12 years!

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "very fun to drive, very low cost to own."

Cons: "no bluetooth or navigation"

"This is a great car. Our family has 2 Jetta TDI's. I might just get another one...newer!"

Love this car!

By on Friday, March 20, 2015

Pros: "FUN to drive, reliable, still good looking"

Cons: "19 MPG; new ones feel bigger, don't drive the same"

"I have had this car since January 2001 (yes, 14 years) and still am in love with it. Some fool bought it in the fall of 2000, put three thousand miles on it and traded it in at the local Mini Cooper dealer, where I found it and fell in love with it immediately. My first test of a car is 'can I see over the back seat and out the window?' - yes to that, though I am 5'2". The second test is 'can my large 6'4" husband get in, close the door and be comfortable?' yes to that as well. The final test was the drive: highway, back road, up hills and down (in slushy weather, yet) - truly amazing! Over the years, it has had two major mechanical problems, promptly solved by the very nice local VW dealer, but it has given me so much pleasure to drive that I am not even interested in test driving anything else. I know one day I will have to, but for now - this is my car."

2004 Jetta TDI 4 door sedan

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pros: "solid, great MPGs, comfortable"

"Bought this car as a new leftover in July 2005. Also bought an extended warranty. It has the 5 speed Tiptronic that has performed flawlessly for over 214 k miles. The body has held up well to several New England winters with only one minor rust blemish on the right front fender. The cloth interior has held up quite well with no tears. I recently replaced the front struts and half shafts, not so much because they were worn out as I felt it was time to do it. The timing belt and water pump have been changed at 80-90k mile intervals. Normal wear items have been replaced as necessary. The only issues have been a burned out fuel pump replaced under warranty and a more recent, transient, electrical problem that has magically disappeared (knock wood). The head light lenses are fogged over and despite several attempts to buff them out, will not stay clear. I bought and installed aftermarket headlights from Spec-D that were horrible, prompting re-install of the originals. I did install Dorman seat heaters that I bought from Amazon. They work great but it was a difficult install. All in all one of the best cars I have ever owned. It continues to give 40-45 MPG. With four studded snow tires it goes like a champ in the snow, assisted by the stability and traction control. I have no real complaints about the car."

13 yrs old and never a problem

By on Thursday, February 12, 2015

Pros: "economical, dependable and it just fits me."

Cons: "Terrible cup holder set up"

"I would never have expected any new car to last this long and be so trouble-free and dependable. The only reason I'd love to get a new car is for the new features that did not even exist when I bought this car."

2005 1/2 Jetta TDI

By on Saturday, February 07, 2015

"why the 1/2 was put on this car..I don't know. But it ALWAYS caused problems for anything done to this car, even as simple as an oil change! Even the dealer had trouble getting it right! But I love this car! No other car can touch the mpg!!! 45 - 50 mpg! This is our "go to" car. The backseat lays down making it possible to fit just about anything in the trunk! I do think VW could do a much better job standing behind their vehicles. It had wiring harness/ electrical issues early on (under warranty) and again later (not under warranty). Just last fall (fall/2014) I received a class action suit letter about said defect! I was notified of an '05 model recall on the egr cooler. Took it to the dealer and he ran my vin and said my vin was not included in the recall. One year and $1200 later my egr cooler was replaced!! I'm not sure how you can be notified your part is defective and then have your vin excluded. But that's what happened. Now its at 260,000 miles and the cam shaft and lifters need replaced (so I'm told). So I'm between a rock and a hard place. KBB says its only worth $2 or $3K and its going to cost more than that to fix it. What to do, What to do.... But I wouldn't change anything, its been a great car!"

2003 Jetta Least Reliable

By on Thursday, February 05, 2015

"2003 Jetta Turbo. Bought for my daughter as 1st car. Bad decision, nothing but trouble. Even the volkswagen dealer told us very unreliable year."

Average at best.

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "Adequate diesel; handles well; good cargo room."

Cons: "Defective paint; lacking in overall quality."

"Clear coat and paint sloughing off, overall finish inside and outside is disappointing. It doesn't deliver the fuel economy I expected; it eats glow plugs; alternator and roller failed. Automatic trans has always felt a tad unsure; now may have problem developing - TBD. In some areas (i.e. trans) it was not designed with ease-of-maintenance in mind. On the positive side, it has very adequate torque and drives and handles well. With the rear seats down, it has a surprising amount of cargo room."

Good deal for a solid reliable vehicle

By on Saturday, December 06, 2014

Pros: "quiet and comfortable ride, good handling."

Cons: "O2 sensor needed to get replaced early"

"engine runs like it was new! 2.0 gas with standard transmission (still feels great) reliable car. quiet and almost no road noise. handling is great. ride quality is great. owning a Volkswagen is like a having a high upkeep wife. take good care of it and do all the scheduled maintenance and you will be rewarded with one of the best driving machines on the road today. treat it badly and abuse it...and it will be your worst nightmare. do your research!! besides the typical cupholders and O2 sensor going out everything else is great!! cookie cutter german design on the body. but if you can get past that its a great car!! just make sure when you plan on buying one that it is up to date on its preventive maintenance!"

Buy a TDI ....

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior"

Cons: "Burns oil, not good on gas, loud on highway."

"I've had this car for 3 years and im not really satisfied with it. To many little issues. The check engine light always pops up. DONT buy the 2.0 gas . Not very frugal on gas , burns oil crazy, and very lazy. Very small in the back."

Bought new in 2002 - now 12 years later ?

By on Monday, December 01, 2014

Pros: "Gas Mileage, Reliability, No mechanical issues."

Cons: "Oil Pan is very sensitive when doing oil changes."

"Still going strong! The car has held up well but I've maintained it well. Did the regular oil change and the only wear/tear issue I've had in the last 14 years was replacement of the gas tank. Not too shabby considering I have 170K on it. I get a bit leary of having so many miles on the car, and my other cars I've sold once I hit 150k, but this keeps going strong. May keep it around a bit longer and let it become the kids first car. BTW - Still so much fun to drive. Guess it makes me feel a bit younger driving this car :)"

A good vehicle

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, fun, good mileage"

Cons: "Need tiny hands to do anything"

"I bought my '02 2.0 Jetta in August of 2007 after my Mitsubishi decided it no longer wanted to run. Apart from issues finding reverse (standard transmission) I fell in love with the performance of the car almost immediately. When purchased, it had a little over 50,000 miles on it so I'm coming up on quadrupling it's mileage in 7.5 years. To date I've had to do the timing belt and water pump twice, and that is literally the most I've ever had to spend on the car in one fell swoop. Working on the car yourself can be a little aggravating because everything is in the way of everything else. Little things like changing the headlights are exacerbated by the placement of the battery. Overall, though, just tack an extra 30 minutes on how long you think it should take to fix it on a non-German vehicle and you'll probably be spot on. Being a standard transmission has greatly helped out in the winter, as the roads in CT are less than ideal after snow or hail. I've never lost control on the roads in this car, however if it were an automatic I may have issues because of it's small size. Having two children now I'll likely be replacing it with a slightly roomier Passat in the near future. The car is plenty spacious if you're not constantly carting people around, and the rather small amount of back seat space is made up for by a generously sized trunk (folding rear seats to extend cargo space is a plus as well.) All in all, I would recommend this car to just about anyone (especially the standard). It's fun to drive and has had so few non-routine issues for me I don't mind keeping it around even with it's high mileage."

Great Ride

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

"This car is great. I get closer to 50 mpgs when on the highway and ive never had a problem with it. I couldnt ask for more from a vehicle that is an '01."

My second tdi

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "very good looking and dependable. 50 mpg on hwy."

"drove my 1998 tdi for 14 years, 240000 miles. no major problem. this is my second. I love it."

Very reliable

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"We have owned this TDI since new and are getting a reliable 48 mpg. It is easy and cheap to maintain and fun to drive. It only has 90 hp but lots of torque. It has been very reliable (so far only glow plug harness outside of regular maintenance)."

I don't want to give this up. Clutch needs repair.

By on Monday, October 13, 2014

Pros: "Great car"

Cons: "Needs a repair"

Perfect exterior with leather interior. Only problem is the gear. You can come check it yourself.

"Love the car. Just needs clutch repair."

Very fun and extremely reliable

By on Monday, October 13, 2014

Pros: "Turbo fun, great handling, german engineering"

Cons: "Cup holders are weak"

2003 Jetta. Picture taken in 2012- this car is like new

"I cannot believe how great this car has been for the past 13 years. I have only replaced 1 set of brake pads on it; otherwise just normal maintenance. Make sure to use synthetic oil every 5k miles and do the timing belt at 75k miles and you will be fine. This car is fast fun and reliable."

2003 Jetta. Picture taken in 2012- this car is like new

the car drive exelent n is very safe

By on Saturday, October 11, 2014

Pros: "is realy fun to drive n price wise is not that bad"

Cons: "yes the car have two cup holder"

"This vehicle is very powerful for a small four cylinder 1.8 LT Turbo n is very aconomical n gas n fun to drive with a 5 speed manual trasmission"

Do your self a favor, don't buy a VW

By on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Pros: "good drivers, interior seems good quality, quiet"

Cons: "constantly needing repairs"

"Owned 2 VW's (Passat, jetta), engine light on 30% of the time, always something needing repair."

Love it

By on Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, fun, great fuel mileage."

Cons: "really nothing just alittle small."

"We bought this in 2005 with 65000 miles on it. It went 215,000 miles before transmission went out. It has never left me stranded. Fun to drive get on fuel 40 miles the gallon."

2002 Jetta 1.8T Do not buy

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "Turbo was fun to drive"

Cons: "reliability, transmission"

"I bought a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with 109,000 miles. Transmission had to be rebuilt at 109,500 and now has to be rebuilt again at 116,000 as well as the timing belt and cooling system. Needless to say, do not buy a 1.8T"

I LOVE this car

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and has a lot of power."

Cons: "Front cup holders in front of radio"

"I first wanted to purchase a Passat but my son, whose is a VW technition, talked me into the Jetta and I'm soooo glad he did! It's fun to drive, very sporty, and has GUTS!! It's eleven years old now and I dread the thought of having to get a new car. No rust what so ever and still runs like a dream!! I think I'll keep her forever!!"

reliable

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "high miles"

"runs good"

Junk. Nice looking junk, but junk just the same.

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior"

Cons: "Too many repair issues."

"Trans needs replacement for the second time. Enough already!"

Great basic and dependable car.

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "Easy to work on. Reliable. Well built."

Cons: "Not a lot of power in the 2.0 4 cyl. engine."

Alaska Green

"I have owned my Jetta for about two years now. I bought the car with about 152,000 miles on it and the car now has 177,000 miles on it and is still running strong. I admit have had to do some work to it however. I had a ball bearing go out (not a surprise due to the mileage), put in a new O2 sensor, replaced plugs and wires, and also just recently replaced the ignition coil. Not too pricey of fixes and thankfully I was able to do most of them myself. This has been a great little reliable commuter car for me. My Jetta has the 2.0 4 cyl. engine and although it is not zippy by any means it gets the job done. Also, I am a simple kind of guy who does not like a lot of flash inside his car and so this car it perfect. Well built, fun to drive, easy enough to work on, a very large following which makes finding solutions to problems a breeze, and great value if you're looking for good basic wheels."

Alaska Green

Great little car

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "paid 17K new, great return on in'vsmt 11yrs later"

Cons: "a little slow on the acceleration Ill have to say"

"bought new and since day one the only thing its asked me for was 2 new sets of tires in its 11 years, kept ORIGINAL battery 10 years into its life, ORIGINAL front disc brakes replaced at 113K and rears at 115K! Still have original exhaust, suspension parts and NOTHING so far has gone wrong. I only change oil every 7K miles and that's it! Warranty from VW covered recall to catalytic convertor and the fuel sending gauge was replaced (under warranty) at 14K."