1998 Volkswagen Jetta

7.2

Based on 299 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

7.6/10

Works great! My first car

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "cheap to insure"

Cons: "small, only 2 airbags"

Mine!

"Bought cheap from a local repair shop as a loaner. Cleaned it up, redid the aftermarket sound, replaced the oil pressure sensor ($6.) as it was leaking and am now very pleased. 130k miles and going good. Had a rebuilt clutch and a used transmission before I got it. Changed the oil with mobil 1 and no leaks! very happy with my first car. Easy and cheap to fix if anything goes bad."

Mine!

Take Good Care of This Great Car

By on Friday, May 29, 2009

"My 2nd Jetta and 3rd VW. Bought my Tornado Red 1998 Jetta GLS 5-speed brand new and still have it 11 years later. Until the A/C pump went out on it around 135,000 miles, it never needed a major repair - just minor stuff. My son now drives the car and loves the thing - he put a loud muffler on it, changed the stereo, and put a sub in the trunk - it's now the perfect teenager car. Has 150,000 miles on it and is, at last, starting to show signs of being worn out. I hate to get rid of it; it still has great pep and is just plain fun to drive; there's nothing like slammin' a gear shift and zipping thru traffic. If you take care of this car and maintain it properly, it will last for many years and many miles."

Volkswagen succeeds!

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pros: "Gas efficient, fun to drive, reliable, affordable,"

Cons: "Cup holders awkwardly placed, headlights"

"I have a 1998 Jetta and it is the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned. I got it at 90k and it now has 127k, and I have had no serious maintenance issues. Only 1 minor issue, one air hose had a small leak and the check engine light came on but it is cheap to repair. Prior to ownership of the 1998 Jetta, I had a 1997 Toyota Camry with 125k and the performance of Camry pales in comparison to my Jetta. Superior turn radius and handling, and you won't feel like your driving a tin can. The GL model takes a little while to speed up on the freeway. All Volkswagen cars are designed to have the headlights on ALL the time the car is turned on, you can't turn it off, so you will have to replace the bulbs more frequently than other cars. Excellent gas mileage. Its the most reliable and sturdy car I have owned."

Still going strong

By on Saturday, July 03, 2010

"I purchased the 1998 TDi while in post grad school for basic, fuel efficient transportation. I still use it today as a second vehicle as it drives nicely and last summer achieved 54 mpg on a trip to the coast. Not many cars today can match that. Other than a few cosmetic problems (it IS 12 yrs old), it is still a good car requiring little maintenance. I wish they would use the TDi in a minivan for my wife."

Best car ever

By on Saturday, March 27, 2010

"The 98' VR6 Jetta GLX is the best car I ever owned. 316,000 miles gonna get to 500,000 Superb reliable, handles great, tracks straighter than many new cars from Chevys, and other assorted junk from GM, or Ford. At 316,000 it feels great on the highway, handles great. If it ain't German, it ain't a car. Leather sport seats no back aches I drive 6 hours a day many times, and the seats are still supportive, and comfortable after all this time. 27+ MPG on the highway at times, it's even hit 30 MPG on long steady cruising!!! on a car with 316,000 miles!! What dope buys hybrids, complicated nonsense? And this is a gas VR6!"

most dependable car on the road

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "amazing on gas, tough and very dependable."

"I LOVE my jetta. I have friends that are trying to trade me there jacked-up 4x4s for my little car lol. never going to happen."

Best Car

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, sold car, good size"

Cons: "AC does not work"

"I had this car 4 years ago. I have done some work but nothing was major. I have been traveling all the way from LA to SF 2 every month and I can relay on it. The only thing everyone has this car has a problem with is the AC. mine does not work and most of the car like it at that age with the same situation. I wish there is a way to take care of this."

I'll never buy another VW

By on Friday, February 26, 2010

"Maybe the newer ones are better but mine left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'll never buy another VW. I should have done better research before buying my car, but apparently between 1998 and 2001, VW used some of the worst transmissions they could find (mine was a 99). I bought mine used with 55K miles and within 10k miles of owning it, I was having serious transmission issues. I never had to replace it or have it rebuilt, but that was because I didn't have the money - it was very nerve-racking taking it on any type of roadtrip. I would put it in drive and press the gas and the engine would rev up - not moving - then screech the tires and take off. I had the tranny worked on a few times, although it was never totally fixed. Lot's of other small issues, too: the inside door handle ripped off one time when I tried to close my door, 2 power windows stopped working (a couple hundo each to fix) the wipers stopped working, and lot's $500-1000 jobs under the hood in 5 years of ownership. I finally just traded it. Good riddance."

Great Car!!

By on Friday, October 23, 2009

"I bought my '97 Jetta GLS about a year ago and have loved it ever since. Motor is sound, no ticks or knocks, 5spd tranny shifts smooth as butter, never had any major mechanical problems with it. The only thing I've replaced is the exhaust because the car sat for about a year before I bought it, and I live in a damp climate. This little car has all the bells and whistles while still being reliable. My only suggestion is to use a heavier oil, it seems to like it more. (10W-40 vs. 10W-30) I would recommend a Jetta to anyone!"

Fun to Drive

By on Thursday, October 08, 2009

"This car is fun to drive and has more power than most people know what to do with. It has run well and reliably for over the ten years I've owned it. A few minor things such as power windows that break every 5 years and sketchy side trim that fell off. I fixed each of these minor headaches for less than $100, so emphasis on 'minor'. Overall, I am a fairly satisfied Jetta driver."