1998 Volkswagen Jetta

7.2

Based on 299 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

7.6/10

Reliabe, Nice Looking and Confrotable

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "super fun to drive, reliable, great mileage & cute"

Cons: "little things breake"

"I am the original owner and I love it! It is super reliable. The only down side it that I broke the vent and then the sun roof went out, later the cup holder broke, but as far as being reliable, this car is awesome! Never brakes down. I am reaching 230K and only once I had to change the clutch/transmission. No major jobs needed aside form that. I hate to get rid of it, because it's so confortable and plush inside."

264K miles and counting

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"Bought the car new in '96. The best thing I can say about the car is that it runs well after 264,000 miles. It still gets 30+ mpg regardless of how I drive it. The electronic gadgets started dying off around 150K miles. No more cruise control, automatic cabin lights when the door is opened, or alarms when the lights are left on. However, the A/C still works and the heater can still roast me out of the car if set to high. With that many miles, most of the broken items are not worth fixing. I've replaced the starter, fixed a couple water leaks, and performed general maintenance. That's about it. Nothing major has ever gone wrong... hope I didn't just jink it."

Pretty awesome VW

By on Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pros: "Gas milage, dependability, looks, comfort, fun."

Cons: "buying parts, tranny reviews"

"Ive only had this car for 3 months and i will never go to another car. Bought it for 1200 and its been reliable ever since. yeah i had to do some maintenance but it has 197,000 miles. changed oil cooler gasket, struts, and all filters."

Great Jetta

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"I own a 98' Jetta and I love the supreme handling and performance. The brakes are very good (even the rear drum type) and road grip is awsome. The A/C is very cold & Heat is very hot. A/C had to be replaced when car reached 9yrs. old. That still not bad. Power windows on left side stop working after 7yrs. Now over 162k miles with no other problems. It's the most reliable car on the road; it requires little to no maintenance and engine never burns oil. I recommend this car to evceryone who loves to drive!"

Dependable German Engineering

By on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pros: "Dependable"

Cons: "Cheap plastic parts"

"I bought this car as a broke college student, I paid cash so I got a good deal. There were a few cosmetic problems with the car but as soon as I turned it on for the test drive I fell in love. The engine was very smooth and two years later still functions very well. The only major issue that I have with this car is the cheap plastic parts. The driver's side pull handle (interior) has came off. When I was trying to repair another part of my car the plastic clips broke off creating another issue. The headliner is sagging. With all that said, I still love my car and defend it when anyone laughs... It runs better than many cars driving on the roads!"