1998 Volkswagen Jetta

7.2

Based on 296 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

7.6/10

Best Car

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, sold car, good size"

Cons: "AC does not work"

"I had this car 4 years ago. I have done some work but nothing was major. I have been traveling all the way from LA to SF 2 every month and I can relay on it. The only thing everyone has this car has a problem with is the AC. mine does not work and most of the car like it at that age with the same situation. I wish there is a way to take care of this."

I'll never buy another VW

By on Friday, February 26, 2010

"Maybe the newer ones are better but mine left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'll never buy another VW. I should have done better research before buying my car, but apparently between 1998 and 2001, VW used some of the worst transmissions they could find (mine was a 99). I bought mine used with 55K miles and within 10k miles of owning it, I was having serious transmission issues. I never had to replace it or have it rebuilt, but that was because I didn't have the money - it was very nerve-racking taking it on any type of roadtrip. I would put it in drive and press the gas and the engine would rev up - not moving - then screech the tires and take off. I had the tranny worked on a few times, although it was never totally fixed. Lot's of other small issues, too: the inside door handle ripped off one time when I tried to close my door, 2 power windows stopped working (a couple hundo each to fix) the wipers stopped working, and lot's $500-1000 jobs under the hood in 5 years of ownership. I finally just traded it. Good riddance."

Great Car!!

By on Friday, October 23, 2009

"I bought my '97 Jetta GLS about a year ago and have loved it ever since. Motor is sound, no ticks or knocks, 5spd tranny shifts smooth as butter, never had any major mechanical problems with it. The only thing I've replaced is the exhaust because the car sat for about a year before I bought it, and I live in a damp climate. This little car has all the bells and whistles while still being reliable. My only suggestion is to use a heavier oil, it seems to like it more. (10W-40 vs. 10W-30) I would recommend a Jetta to anyone!"

Fun to Drive

By on Thursday, October 08, 2009

"This car is fun to drive and has more power than most people know what to do with. It has run well and reliably for over the ten years I've owned it. A few minor things such as power windows that break every 5 years and sketchy side trim that fell off. I fixed each of these minor headaches for less than $100, so emphasis on 'minor'. Overall, I am a fairly satisfied Jetta driver."

By on Friday, October 02, 2009

"Windows have major problems, plan on replacing some if not all of your window lifters in the future, along with any plastic pieces on the car, they break and fall off like the car is a toy. Other than that the structure of the car is good performance is good and reliable."

By on Thursday, April 16, 2009

"I purchased this car new in 1998. I now have over 110000 miles on it with only a few repairs. I have the TDI model and get great mileage. I still enjoy driving this car 11 years later. The Japan's cars just aren't as much fun to drive. I also own a Mercedes diesel which is 27 years and counting. No plans in the near future to replace either cars."

no reverse

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"reverse seems to be a problem in theese cars I called a transmision repair place and he would not even repair the reverse gear so I have a car with no reverse that probably will never get repaired also the airconditioning works great but after running it for some time there seems to be a build up of water in the venting system I can not find a condensate drain I turn a corner and water pours out on the floor so my experience is not the best with this car motor probably will run forever but do not"

Snarling little beast

By on Saturday, March 07, 2009

"Bought my 97 Jetta GLX two years ago. Previous owner had spent good money to put on K&W suspension and magnaflow exhaust. Very spirited car, narrow angle V6 rips and snarls like an angry animal (in a very good way), sounds like a small V8, but not obnoxious or boomy. I cannot think of another car as fun to drive for the money. (Stock suspension may be a different story, I hear they are pretty soft). The bad parts are the car has a passenger door that won't open in the cold, a broken windshield washer, AC doesn't work and will not hold a charge even after replacing compressor and a coolant or oil leak every several months that costs about 400-500$, not the end of the world for a car as old as it is and the engine always runs like a top, but by no means bulletproof. It helps I have an incredible mechanic,and the car is so fun to drive, otherwise the little problems might bother me much more."

JETTA

By on Friday, February 13, 2009

"Infamous for power window motors and cruise control to go out. At least $1000 to fix. I am currently trying to get mine working to then sell for something else. Styling is great and rides fine."

Good reliable car

By on Friday, January 16, 2009

"This car is reliable as far as starting up and getting you where you need to go but there are a few problems. Number one is pick-up...very slow. Also the power windows break easily."