1998 Volkswagen Jetta

7.2

Based on 294 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

7.6/10
Previous | 1 ... 10 11 12 | Next

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

Best vehicle ever

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"Bought this car new and at 231,000 miles I can say without a doubt it's one of the best cars you can buy period. Planning to buy another one when this quits in another 10 or 15 years! If you're even slightly considering it, buy it. Immediately."

Wouldn't do it again

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"I've had my 1999 Jetta for 8 yrs now (bought new) and overall, I cannot recommend it. The AC went in the first year. I've replaced the oxygen sensor so many times I think I own stock in VW. Many parts are VW only. I've never had the cruise control work...ever. I had the engine rebuilt last yr because it used all the oil up in 3000 miles. They're not the value and quality that Vdubs once were sadly. I'm going back to Honda or Toyota--hands down. My friends who have a Jetta are on the same bandwagon."

Nice style, great mileage, quite reliable

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"I bought this car when it was 3 years old. Now, some 6 years later the only real problems I've had with it are the cruise control & window motors breaking. (I replaced 1/year for the first 4 years I owned the car.) Other than that everything has been great: excellent mileage, good intelligent design & handling, huge trunk. I guess that me maintaining the car well has paid off..."

perfect

"best car i ever owned"

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"Ive had this car since 1998. It has passed 131,000 miles and it still looks and runs like new. i get about 40mpg. Great ride, i would recommend it to anyone."

Great car for the money.

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I bought this car when it was 3 yrs old. In the 8 yrs and 110k miles i have owned this car other then regular matinence the only problem i ever had was the starte went out. That was like 150 dollars. Other then that i took good car of him and he has taken good care of me. I will probably look for a new jetta when he passes on to the get big VW junk yard in the sky."

Loved it at one point

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"My car now has 160k miles on it. I loved this car and it ran great between the break downs. I am finally at the point that i cant wait to get rid of it. It has been one problem after the next. It runs for a few ,months and then something ELSE goes wrong. I have had it since 2003 and it ran fine for the first 2 years but the last 2 years have been constant spending. Your lucky if yu can find a part for the car under $200 and then good luck finding a shop that works on European cars for a resonalble price."

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

love the jetta

By on Sunday, July 22, 2007

"I've had my jetta since 1998, it has never let me down. I've only received one recall notice and have never had any major mechanical issues. my biggest beef is that when they get past the 8 year mark, the cosmetic things start to fall apart gradually. It may not be the hottest car out there but it's gotten me from WA state to So. California at least 6 times and accross the country too! I think the trick is that there is nothing fancy about my car, no factory installed air, no power windows, no sunroof, no crazy highspeed engine, just the basics and I LOVE it."

Awesome little car!

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"I love this car. Bought it in early 2005 for 6 thousand, only had 45K miles on it. While it is a compact car and not as luxurious as most American cars are, it's exactly what I need for tooling around town and driving in and out of NYC. It's also great on gas and the engine runs beautifully. The rack-and-pinion steering is stellar for whizzing through windy back roads or buzzing through traffic. The a/c and heating is also unbelievable, and the trunk space is mammoth. Also, the exterior styling of the car has that "square" shape that's reminiscent of most VWs or BMWS of the 90s -- I think the "curvy" styling that is seen in new cars today was introduced in 1999. Only drawback is the expensive price of parts for this car, though thankfully, thus far, I haven't had to replace too many things!"

Wouldn't get VW again

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"I just sold my Jetta, and I was happy to have rid of it-- sold it for less than I probably could have gotten for it. I spent the previous 3 months replacing the coil, the water pump, the exhaust, and having parts fall off the bottom of the car. The sunroof always leaked, even after the dealer "fixed" it. A solid 5 times it quit on me--in my driveway, on Main Street, at stop lights. Parts were super expensive, and it was impossible for me to work on-- plugs and wires would take a good 3 hours, oh, and $120 just for parts. Stick with a Honda or Toyota!"

Awesome Car!!

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"I own the GLX VR6 model Jetta. It is the best 6 cylinder engine car out there! The MKIII body VR6s are WAY better than the MKIV bodys. This car has tons of torque, and tons of HP. When it's all OEM I could do 0-60 in about 7 or 8 seconds. After I upgraded it, I do it in about 4 or 5 seconds. Not the most comfortable car, but it's comfortable and I love driving it. The steering is smooth and responsive. Does really good in the snow if you are in those kind of conditions. This car is also extremely reliable. I have blown 2 radiator hoses, but that's because I push the car to it's limits. But if you're just going to drive to and from work, with some side trips. I will almost guarentee that this car will NOT break down on you. All the electrical works great, has a bose amp in it so the sound system is awesome. This is a good looking car too, in my opinion. If you're looking for a car with power, and reliability, buy a jetta"

Problematic

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"I've had too many problems with my Jetta. Although -- I did buy it used, so the past owner's possible negligence may be part of the reason for my bad experience. I've had my Jetta for 5 years. I have had to have the A/C replaced, the water pump replaced, the alternator replaced, and the catalytic converter and a few O2 sensors need replaced also -- but I refuse to spend the money to replace those. The power windows work when the want and when I first got the car, the bumper was not properly attached to the car. I was not happy with the Jetta, mainly because reliability is VERY important to me and the Jetta has left me stranded multiple times."

Great car!

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have had my jetta for about 4 years - all through college. It has only had a few problems and is so reliable, and I have put a lot of miles on it. Sadly, I just totaled it when I rear ended someone, but I walked away with only bruises from the airbag. My insurance adjuster said people walk away unhurt all the time they have a accident in a VW. So I would highly recommend this car for teenagers/college kids for safety, reliability and price."

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Expensive Repairs

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007

"I'd had nothing but bad luck with my Jetta. I love it, and when it runs, it runs great. But in the past year, I've had to get my catalytic converter, alternator, brake light switch, 02 sensor relplaced. I am always getting notices about recalls for parts that need to be replaced easily. Parts are also expensive and sometimes hard to find because of the German-make. Good mileage for the V6 though, about 27 highway, 22 city."

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007