1998 Volkswagen Jetta

7.2

Based on 297 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

7.6/10

208k Miles and still going

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Pros: "EVERYTHING"

Cons: "Can be costly to repair, but worth it"

"I'm glad I never said, "I'll drive this car until it dies" because it refuses to. It has 208k miles and still looks wonderful on the in and outside. I live in RI and winters here can be brutal. While other cars are spinning out, I'm just going along and feeling safe as all heck. The power steering went and even driving it with manual steering (automatic), this car drives better than newer models of other cars. Transmission is STILL doing well, 3RPMS sometimes, but no complaints. Everyone tells me I am insane for only driving VW's (I REFUSE to own another brand) but if you keep up on maintenance and always have a little safety net for repairs, and have a great repair man, you're fine."

economical, dependable great car

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "40 to 45 mpg forever has never let me down"

Cons: "not designed for a large person"

"I have always been happy with this car. Proud to drive it. I have loaded the trunk to the max, laid the back seats down and gotten amazingly big items in it. Have only had to replace the glow plugs, and do the brakes and shocks. that old jetta has been insanely reliable!"

TDi is the only way to go

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

Pros: "MPG, reliable, inexpensive parts, easy to repair"

Cons: "carbon build up in the intake sucks"

"This is a 1998 VW Jetta TDi, I have owned this car since 2000. With general maintenance and replacing wear parts at the correct intervals, I have had no issues, car looks great, drives great and I average 50MPG. Just an example, I thought after 240k, I should replace the clutch (which worked fine), after inspecting the clutch the only thing that really needed to be replaced was the throwout bearing, the clutch still had plenty of material left (replaced anyway had already bought it). Keep up with the general maintenance and replace parts that are designed to wear out at the recommended time/ mileage intervals, this car should run great for a long time to come and stay reliable. You definitely need to be handy and do the work yourself, if you can, they are not very difficult to work on, invest in a detailed shop manual. The first thread is correct, if you have to take it to a shop, it will be very expensive as with any car. The parts themselves are very cheap, even spending a bit more for quality German parts will be very economical. Not too many cars hold up as well, in my opinion, as the VW. Already in the market to purchase another TDi, giving this one to my son."

Best/ most reliable for your buck

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "reliable, good gas mileage"

Cons: "no power seats, no cd player"

"I have had this car since 2008 and it has been very good. It isn't flashy and it certainly isn't anything fancy. However, it has good gas mileage and it is reliable. I have driven it through mountains, blizzards, etc. I would recommend the Jetta to anyone looking for a reliable car at a reasonable price."

pretty good

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pros: "fast, gets peoples attention if they know cars"

Cons: "once something goes bad everything follows"

"Pretty good car overall for racing around but once one thing goes bad don't expect to be able to feed the family"