1997 Volkswagen Jetta

7.2

Based on 297 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

7.6/10

264K miles and counting

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"Bought the car new in '96. The best thing I can say about the car is that it runs well after 264,000 miles. It still gets 30+ mpg regardless of how I drive it. The electronic gadgets started dying off around 150K miles. No more cruise control, automatic cabin lights when the door is opened, or alarms when the lights are left on. However, the A/C still works and the heater can still roast me out of the car if set to high. With that many miles, most of the broken items are not worth fixing. I've replaced the starter, fixed a couple water leaks, and performed general maintenance. That's about it. Nothing major has ever gone wrong... hope I didn't just jink it."

Loved it, but those windows, ugh

By on Saturday, August 08, 2009

"I bought this Jetta new in 1999 right off the truck. (This is a 99A model, based on the 98 body style). I loved this car for a couple of years. Then the power windows started to have problems. At first it was only the driver's window, but slowly over time it was impossible to raise or lower any of the windows consistently. In the end I quit driving this car because I couldn't guarantee that the windows would stay up while parked. I have taken this car to the dealer three times for repair, but the repair never lasted. Apparently many Jettas have this problem with the windows. Even in the end, the Jetta handled like a dream. The 2.0L engine 5-speed manual has better pick-up than you might expect, and it is a blast to drive. My advice: Don't totally dismiss the Jetta, as it could be a great car, but roll down ALL the windows several times before you buy!"

Pretty awesome VW

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "Gas milage, dependability, looks, comfort, fun."

Cons: "buying parts, tranny reviews"

"Ive only had this car for 3 months and i will never go to another car. Bought it for 1200 and its been reliable ever since. yeah i had to do some maintenance but it has 197,000 miles. changed oil cooler gasket, struts, and all filters."

Reliabe, Nice Looking and Confrotable

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "super fun to drive, reliable, great mileage & cute"

Cons: "little things breake"

"I am the original owner and I love it! It is super reliable. The only down side it that I broke the vent and then the sun roof went out, later the cup holder broke, but as far as being reliable, this car is awesome! Never brakes down. I am reaching 230K and only once I had to change the clutch/transmission. No major jobs needed aside form that. I hate to get rid of it, because it's so confortable and plush inside."

Dependable German Engineering

By on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pros: "Dependable"

Cons: "Cheap plastic parts"

"I bought this car as a broke college student, I paid cash so I got a good deal. There were a few cosmetic problems with the car but as soon as I turned it on for the test drive I fell in love. The engine was very smooth and two years later still functions very well. The only major issue that I have with this car is the cheap plastic parts. The driver's side pull handle (interior) has came off. When I was trying to repair another part of my car the plastic clips broke off creating another issue. The headliner is sagging. With all that said, I still love my car and defend it when anyone laughs... It runs better than many cars driving on the roads!"