1996 Volkswagen Jetta

7.2

Based on 299 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

7.6/10

most dependable car on the road

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "amazing on gas, tough and very dependable."

"I LOVE my jetta. I have friends that are trying to trade me there jacked-up 4x4s for my little car lol. never going to happen."

Best Car

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, sold car, good size"

Cons: "AC does not work"

"I had this car 4 years ago. I have done some work but nothing was major. I have been traveling all the way from LA to SF 2 every month and I can relay on it. The only thing everyone has this car has a problem with is the AC. mine does not work and most of the car like it at that age with the same situation. I wish there is a way to take care of this."

I'll never buy another VW

By on Friday, February 26, 2010

"Maybe the newer ones are better but mine left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'll never buy another VW. I should have done better research before buying my car, but apparently between 1998 and 2001, VW used some of the worst transmissions they could find (mine was a 99). I bought mine used with 55K miles and within 10k miles of owning it, I was having serious transmission issues. I never had to replace it or have it rebuilt, but that was because I didn't have the money - it was very nerve-racking taking it on any type of roadtrip. I would put it in drive and press the gas and the engine would rev up - not moving - then screech the tires and take off. I had the tranny worked on a few times, although it was never totally fixed. Lot's of other small issues, too: the inside door handle ripped off one time when I tried to close my door, 2 power windows stopped working (a couple hundo each to fix) the wipers stopped working, and lot's $500-1000 jobs under the hood in 5 years of ownership. I finally just traded it. Good riddance."

Great Car!!

By on Friday, October 23, 2009

"I bought my '97 Jetta GLS about a year ago and have loved it ever since. Motor is sound, no ticks or knocks, 5spd tranny shifts smooth as butter, never had any major mechanical problems with it. The only thing I've replaced is the exhaust because the car sat for about a year before I bought it, and I live in a damp climate. This little car has all the bells and whistles while still being reliable. My only suggestion is to use a heavier oil, it seems to like it more. (10W-40 vs. 10W-30) I would recommend a Jetta to anyone!"

Fun to Drive

By on Thursday, October 8, 2009

"This car is fun to drive and has more power than most people know what to do with. It has run well and reliably for over the ten years I've owned it. A few minor things such as power windows that break every 5 years and sketchy side trim that fell off. I fixed each of these minor headaches for less than $100, so emphasis on 'minor'. Overall, I am a fairly satisfied Jetta driver."