1996 Volkswagen Jetta

7.2

Based on 297 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

7.6/10

Great Jetta

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"I own a 98' Jetta and I love the supreme handling and performance. The brakes are very good (even the rear drum type) and road grip is awsome. The A/C is very cold & Heat is very hot. A/C had to be replaced when car reached 9yrs. old. That still not bad. Power windows on left side stop working after 7yrs. Now over 162k miles with no other problems. It's the most reliable car on the road; it requires little to no maintenance and engine never burns oil. I recommend this car to evceryone who loves to drive!"

I LOVE this car!

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"I bought this Jetta used from the dealer, without knowing anything about the previous owner. I have owned it now for 5.5 years and put over 100k miles on it. It's about to turn 200k miles and is still running strong. I haven't had any major work done it, besides the timing belt - and I only just had that done for the first time last year. I have done most of the maintenance on it myself with the help of a Haynes manual. You can order spare parts on Ebay. The dealer is pricey for sure. It's really not that hard to work on it yourself. I am in the market for another Jetta once I drive this one into the ground. With love and maintenance, I'm hoping for another 100K!"

Best vehicle ever

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"Bought this car new and at 231,000 miles I can say without a doubt it's one of the best cars you can buy period. Planning to buy another one when this quits in another 10 or 15 years! If you're even slightly considering it, buy it. Immediately."

my second jetta

By on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pros: "5 speed. Gas milage great."

Cons: "maintence."

cruisin to the car show

"well first off I had a wolfsburg jetta Mark 3, had electrical problems and returned it and found my car that I've had now for almost 2 years. All I can say is that this car is pretty much my friend. It hasnt let me down, always starts up first try and overall is just a great car. I get a lot of comments like what year and when I say a 1996, people almost look at me and dont belive me. With my Jetta just running over 104k the other day, I know that this car will last for a long long time. I bought mine from a one owner that had it for 16 or 17 years and took pretty good care of it. The body was repainted Tornado red, and I'm not sure what the original color was but I've also had people at car shows saying this is one of the best looking Tornado Red Jetta's they've ever seen. Also the only negitive thing I can think of for the car is some of the maintence can be spendy, but the positive to that too, is that the engine atleast the 2.0 4 cyl engine is quite easy to work on, and has a lot of space too. Overall fun to drive, expecailly when you have a 5 speed, and throw in some other mods, such as lowering springs or racing struts to take hard turns. Overall great car, fun to learn how to drive in!"

My video

cruisin to the car show

new muffler straightpipe from cat to DTM style muffler. its an 8v i swear.

Works great! My first car

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "cheap to insure"

Cons: "small, only 2 airbags"

Mine!

"Bought cheap from a local repair shop as a loaner. Cleaned it up, redid the aftermarket sound, replaced the oil pressure sensor ($6.) as it was leaking and am now very pleased. 130k miles and going good. Had a rebuilt clutch and a used transmission before I got it. Changed the oil with mobil 1 and no leaks! very happy with my first car. Easy and cheap to fix if anything goes bad."

Mine!