2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen

Based on 243 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

A beautiful car!/ very good mileage/Warm & cozy!!

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful car! ...see review"

Cons: "no back seat warmers"

"I'm thrilled with it! I do have to say it has not met the quoted gas mileage, at least not for us, however we are in remote area, mountainess,& so we cannot follow all the perfect conditions to get the maximum mileage. We are averaging 39 mpg. Despite the real mpg for us, this is overall a great vehicle. We've had no problems. We've received many compliments on this vehicle. It sure kept us warm this extra cold winter! (too bad back seat passengers don't get the warmed seats) Pickup is fantastic Fendall stereo is really nice. The regenerating hybrid is a marvel...we don't have to plug this one in to any electrical charger! Everyone loves the premium tire rims w/ fan-like design. We currently lease this vehicle, however we currently believe we will buy this one out & keep this one!"

Great car -poor build quality

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful, fast, great mileage"

Cons: "Poor build quality, lame sound system"

"Love my SportWagen. Disappointed in the build quality - rattles, vibrations, loose components (heat shield, defective sunroof, the list goes on. Have owned the vehicle seven months and have been to the dealer ten times to fix stupid and annoying problems. My last VW, a 1996 Jetta GL was perfect right out of the box, was mine for eight years, never a rattle, squeak - just regular maintenance. I have spoken with other SportWagen owners, and they echo my disappointment in the quality. On the plus side, the SportWagen is a real head turner (Toffee Brown), comfortable, great diesel mileage. Only wish the Fender sound system had been available. Hoping Volkswagen addresses their quality issues. Love this car, but it will be my last VW product."

Perfect car, with a few minor caveats

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, handling, comfort, fun to drive"

Cons: "HWY road noise, Nav system, needs better lumbar"

"Love this car's design, economy, torque, and comfort. We have TDI model with all possible options. Only downsides to this car, in my opinion: Navigation system is non-user friendly, and HORRIBLE. Less intuitive than my 7 year old Garmin portable GPS. I would rate Nav system a 3 out of 10. I will replace the Nav with an aftermarket double DIN GPS in the future. Pano sunroof is awesome, but contributes to road noise. 17 inch VW premium wheels/OEM Continental tires contribute to road noise too. Even with our new aftermarket thicker side walled tires, still pretty noisy on most highways. Less highway road noise would be appreciated. Wish front seats had adjustable lumbar support."

Love my new 2014 GLI

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "geat price, fun to drive, geat gas milege, a blast"

Cons: "hard plastic doors, poor Nav"

"I traded in a 2012 Jetta SE manual last week for the 2014 GLI manual with Autobahn/Nav. Love the car. Took a drive from DC to NJ and back in a single day this past weekend. Rained the entire way and had total confidence in the vehicle. Drove very well, great acceleratioon, great braking and overall fun to drive. Near the end of the trip, it started sleeting and snowing and I still had great control. No slippering of the tires and brakes were still dead on. My 2012 Jetta would have been all over the road, but the new GLI still had plenty of control. Still hate the plastic on the doors and the limited options for interior colors. Wish I could get the golf ball shaped shift know like you can in the GTI. Wish the Nav had more pizzaz to it (my wife has the sync system in the ford and it is pretty good, but love the Acura Nav system the best). Overall, a great car for the money. I was also looking at a 3 series and an A4, but decided on the GLI as it was just as good for much less $$. I am a father of two and having the saloon works great."

2,5 gas engine, average mix 28 - 29 mpg.

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, handling, price"

"Sales, do much stop n go driving, 50% city, still averaging great gas mileage. On long drives 40+ miles non stop averaging 35 mpg.. Handling great, 0 - 60 very peppy, rear seating a bit snug. Would recommend and or buy this again.."

Almost everything I want in an automobile.

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Tremendous value"

Cons: "No hot accessory plug when ignition is off"

"Previous experience with the 2.5 motor made me snap up a 2013 before the switch to the turbo motor in the 2014s. I have had over 160000 trouble free miles on my earlier one. After several years of research I decided against the turbo diesel...hence the 2.5 5 speed wagen. For a base model, it has everything I need without the gingerbread extras. Power/heated seats, bluetooth, multi function steering wheel controls, heated mirrors, nicely finished interior and a lot of utility when needed. If it only had more power when needed. Mind you, its not bad but you have to drive the manual as if it is a 4 speed with overdrive. The transmission gearing has been changed for fuel economy. I must admit expressway cruising at 74 mph and only pulling 2200 rpm makes for a quiet and comfortable ride and up to 32mpg so far is nothing to sneeze at for a car with just under 10000 miles. But there are times when a downshift just to address a change in grade is rather annoying in this day and age. All in all, a great vehicle for under $20K."

2012 GLi review

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

"I've owned several German marques including a 77 Carrera and an 89 E30 M3, plus 2 GTI's previous to the current GLI. Overall its not as refined as the GTI in terms of handling and they've cut corners on small items like the hood support, lack of traction control delete. The handling is twitchy in comparison which is likely due to the extra length of the car and the fact that its shod with mediocre tires in comparison to the GTI. However, the car is quite roomy and a decent level of finish, especially considering that I got out the door for $24,000 and change with the fully loaded Autobahn edition. Be forewarned that if you do an Stage 1 or Stage 2 on a manual transmission, you will be doing a clutch/flywheel kit prematurely. Mine failed at 19,500 and you're looking at $1500-2000 for a good Clutchmasters kit. The coil packs failed at the same time which is also fairly common with tuned TSI motors. The Audi R8 coil pack is a direct replacement and not much more money. Rumor is that these don't fail because they have higher impedance and designed for higher horsepower situations on the Audi. Otherwise the car has been quite good. These cars are fitted with the stock clutch and flywheel which is only good for 200hp. Any tune is going to overwhelm the stock setup so expect a large bill. DSG cars are not affected by this. All in all, I'd give the car a 7.5 overall. The Stage 2 ups the grin factor substantially, but like all VW's, little fiddly things fail over time."

Dirty valves, equals $700.00 in repairs!

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "0 percent finance for 60 months"

Cons: "HIGH cost of ownership."

"This requires 91 octane gasoline. Which is not sold in the US. On the advice of my salesman, we put 89 octane. My valves are now "dirty", and require a $1000.00 to $700.00. Based on my internet research, this is normal for this car."

Most Useful Vehicle I have owned

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

"I am a grandpa in my 60s but I love cars and have owned many brands and styles including sports and convertibles. The Jetta TDI with the manual shift I have is fantastic. It is quick and nimble because it is light and has the turbo and the manual and it is actually fun to drive. But it is still a four door family car. I haul grandkids and there is plenty of room for three in rear; the trunk is huge about 15+ cu.ft- and the seats fold down, you can put big long stuff in there. I have Nav, Blue tooth, leather, good sound, power driver's seat, all for about $26k. I love BMW 3 series, but this car is 1/2 the price and a great value. But main reason for owning this car is the mileage. On diesel (yes it costs more) I get 30mpg combined and 40+ highway. I fill up a couple times a month and can go 450-500 miles on a tank."

Great value mileage is as rated by EPA

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "Great value"

Cons: "Slightly rough ride"

"Quicker than it looks especially in sport mode, disappointed it's not 4wheel disc although brakes are more than adequate huge trunk interior well laid out"

Dependable, great fuel mileage - better than rated

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, 6 speed transmission, OK performance"

Cons: "OK performance"

"Fuel mileage is great. Summer in combination of city and highway is always right around 45mpg. Winter - due to reformulated diesel fuel - is at about 42. Minimal maintenance and great dependability to date. My brother-in-law owns an earlier year's version and recommended it to me. Couldn't be much happier. Acceleration could be a bit better but I consider it a reasonable trade off for the great fuel mileage. I regularly cruse at 70/75 with no issues about stability or drift; obviously made for the autobahn. I'd love to own (and be able to afford the gas) a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 440 but given the realities of the day, this is an excellent choice."

Excellent vehicle!!!

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "See review!"

Cons: "Lacking AWD & 8 spd. DSG"

"I've owned this car for nearly three and a half years, and, although there have been some relatively minor issues here and there, I think this is an excellent car on many levels. Given the complexity of the engine and transmission, as well as many other attributes, I think this car offers a great deal of value for the money. It is beautifully designed and thought out. Furthermore, it blows away the competition in fuel mileage. It does better in the city than advertised and on occasion even on the highway, depending on various factors. Of course the Prius V does well and has almost as much room, but has nowhere near as much torque, which is very evident in the summer in hilly terrain with the car packed full of wife and children and the accompanying accouterments. My personal best in this car is 44 on the highway, and it regularly returns about 32 in the city. Overall, I'd say it averages around 37-38mpg. This is based on miles driven divided by fuel burned, and not the computed figure given on the instrument panel. It would be nice if the car were a little wider and the rear seats were a bit roomier. It would really be outstanding if VW offered the Passat All-Track TDI Sportwagen here! Anyway, I find it astonishing that there are people out there who cant or wont give this car its do. It has plenty of power for the intended application, and I've had no issues with it in the snow. The OEM Continentals were excellent, and my current set of Michelin MXM4 Primacy may only be marginally better. Bottom line... if you love Diesel efficiency and torque, combined with a relatively sporty handling, plenty of cargo space, and beautiful lines, then you'll appreciate this car."

REMOTE and BLUETOOTH AUDIO STREAMING issues

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Driving Dynamics is very good"

Cons: "Poor quality such remote and bluetooth"

"CAR WAS PURCHASED AT THE END OF NOV, 2013 AT THREE COUNTY VOLKSWAGEN IN NJ. TWO ISSUES WERE NOTICED THE NEXT DAY: (1) REMOTE ONLY WORKS VERY CLOSE TO THE CAR. (LESS THAN 10 FT) (2) BLUETOOTH AUDIO STREAMING FUNCTION NEVER WORK PROPERLY MORE THAN 10MINS. CAR WAS SENT TO DEALER AT DEC 30. I WAS TOLD FEW DAYS LATER: A) NEW PART NEED TO BE ORDERED AND HAD NO IDEA HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT; B)MORE THAN 12 PEOPLE WERE IN THE WAITING LIST FOR THE BACKUP CAR. I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TOOK MY CAR BACK SINCE I NEED A CAR TO COMMUTE. AROUND JAN. 10, I WAS TOLD NEW PART WAS RECEIVED AND CAR WAS SENT TO DEALER AGAIN. FEW DAYS LATER I WAS TOLD ISSUES WERE NOT SOLVED AFTER REPLACING THE PART AND FURTHER ASSISTANCE WAS NEEDED FROM VOLKSWAGEN. I WAS TOLD THE ASSISTANCE FROM VOLKSWAGEN STILL DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM AND ‘OTHER KIND’ OF FURTHER ASSISTANCE WAS NEEDED FROM VOLKSWAGEN AT JAN. 16. I HAD TO WAIT LONGER. I WAS TOLD ‘OTHER KIND’ OF FURTHER ASSISTANCE FROM VOLKSWAGEN DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM NEITHER AND THE DEALER HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY CAN DO EXCEPT WAITING. I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TOOK MY CAR BACK AGAIN. TILL NOW, THE CAR HAS BEEN IN DEALER MORE THAN 3 WEEKS WHICH I ONLY HAD OWNED THIS CAR 8 WEEKS, AND THESE ISSUES ARE STILL THERE."

Good Basic Car to get around town.

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Good price"

Cons: "WAY Under Powered"

"The base model has a 2.0 115 HP motor witch is way under powered for the weight of the car but it does get decent gas mileage. So it has that going for it. The stock radio and speakers are mediocre at best and in fact I have had to replace both front speakers already. The car gets an overall 5 out of 10 because the performance is nowhere to be found and will make driving often very boring very quickly."

Really bad in ice and snow

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "Clarity on Bluetooth connection & touch screen"

Cons: "Not good in snow or icy road."

"I leased this car and counting the days to end the lease and return. I had driven several cards in Michigan snow and icy roads this is the worst car ever. I know people would suggest having winter tires; I don’t want to spend money when I am going to return the car in 8 months. None of the cars I owned/leased I used winter tires. This car has absolutely no road grip in snow/icy roads. I have 2012 Ford Fusion which I love to drive during snow/icy roads."

Love My Jetta!

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Peppy, reliable, solid"

Cons: "pricey"

"Love my 2013 Jetta TDI Highline. It's got great power and pick up, I drive a lot of highway and I have no concerns when I need to pass someone. It has been completely reliable, it's never given me an ounce of grief. Being that I live in the Great White North, I have winter tires for it and it handles super on the ice, snow, rain and anything else Mother Nature throws at us. With the amount of highway driving I do I went with the diesel and even in the winter it hasn't let me down; fires up no problems in -30°C. I opted for no Nav which I don't regret at all. Although I wish I had maybe gone up to the Passat for creature comforts such as the power seats, but otherwise my Jetta has enough luxuries for me. Love the DSG as I have the convenience and ease of the automatic transmission but I can still switch over to manual shifting for better control in certain situations. The service I have received from the dealership has been fantastic. Overall, fun, reliable car."

Definitely worth the upgrades

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, fast turbo, reliable, looks sporty"

Cons: "needs to come with heated steering wheel"

"I bought this car looking to save money on gas and also wanted something with all of the ammenities I was looking for in a car. The one thing I really wish they had on it is a heated steering wheel since they have the heated seats in it. I love the detail in the red stitching and the amazing handling on curves at high speeds and even in the rain. I love it when people look at my car and you can tell they really like it! Mine comes w the Navi and back up camera..Well worth paying."

Not worth the money!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Great steering wheel!"

Cons: "Bad handling in snow, gas mph drops in cold!"

"I am so upset I bought this car! This car is not intended for colder states! My average mpg dropped to 38 once it got cold and is the worst handling car I have ever driven in snow!! I can barley get traction and have Ford Focus's passing me. In nice weather it drives well and handles well with mpg of 42. Trunk size is way too small as the hybrid battery takes up 1/2 of it. The CD player is also not very driver friendly. Servicing for it is also inconvient as it take 2 plus hours. On the upside, I love the steering wheel but it is not worth $27,000. I will be getting rid of this as soon as I get it to blue book vale. There are lots of gas cars that can get this gas milage and are $10,000-15,000 cheaper. Save your money!"

Worst vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Pros: "Has alot of power and great miliage"

Cons: "not dependable"

"Purchased this car brand new and have had to have it towed to the dealership 4 times for no start issues. Volkswagen does provide a customer service rep to assist with continued issues with the car. Never totally fixed - given different cause for same problem each time. In addition, the windshield washer pump seized up when car only 1 1/2 years old.(Covered under warranty. Lost all confidence in vehicle - looking to trade in and don't care that I will lose money."

great value

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "great mileage"

Cons: "must keep fresh air flow vs recirculation"

"great value related to overall cost; VW dealership excellent warranty service"

IF YOU WANT A REAL CAR! THIS IS THE CAR-VW HYBRID

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Every thing is great, I love to drive this JETTA"

Cons: "WHAT CONS??? This car is a real hybrid"

"You need to go to a Dealer drive one. This car has a sport car drive! I do a lot of city driving,and still average 39 to 41 MPG. Car is very quit and roomy, and handles like a sport car. I had a M-BENZ E-CLASS CDI that was a total in a accident I have 8,000 miles right now and it is flawless. TRY ONE YOU WILL LOVE IT!"

Price vs product

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Price, gas, usage, safety"

Cons: "Not too big for a family, cargo door, noise"

"Car is great market price and the gas consumption is very good too. Comfortable and versatile."

Just what I wanted

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Stlyle, roomy cabin, large trunk, great handling"

Cons: "MPG is only average"

"I got a 2014 Jetta S with automatic transmission. On paper it has the potential to be a good value but with cars you just don't know until the bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out. But VW was offering some attractive end-of-the year deals and the 2-year free maintenance is nice benefit. I traded in a 2009 Jeep Compass 2WD which was a great little crossover. No problems at all in the 4.5 years I owned this car. But I trade about every 5 years and the VW deal was too good to leave on the table. The base model is packed with a lot of features that are options on some cars. This Jetta had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. I did a ton research before I made the move. I know what the auto critics said about the base VW 2.0 engine -- that it lacks power and it's been around too long. I test drove the S three different times and also test drove the SE with the turbo. My verdict: The turbo wasn't worth the extra two grand. Unless you're into speed and extremely rapid acceleration the good ol' 2.0 is plenty of engine for this car -- perfectly smooth and competent around town and on the interstate. If you want to blow your socks off, get the turbo. Some critics also said the Jetta's cabin had too much hard plastic. Hey, I'm coming from a Compass. The Jetta's interior plastics are altogether acceptable to me. No faux chrome trim or useless affectations. This cabin is roomy and comfortable and the trunk is almost expansive. Both the exterior and interior design are clean and unpretentious. And you get a full-size spare tire. I didn't know any car company did that nowadays. The gas mileage isn't great, slightly better than the Compass. However, I only put about 6,000 miles a year on a car so mpg is not my top priority. If you're considering a compact or even midsize car, don't overlook the Jetta. I'm glad I didn't."

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "Fun, Fast and great MPG"

Cons: "Can't think of any in the 75000 miles I have gone."

"I love this little wagon! It handles and rides a lot bigger than it is. Always gets 42 mpg and is very powerful for a little 2.0 liter."

I love this car, but she doesn't like bad weather

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Great value, fun to drive, beautiful"

Cons: "Standing water/snow decreases traction"

"My beautiful little Jetta SEL Premium has been a pure pleasure since we leased her new. The combination of sophisticated interior, exterior, upgraded wheels & tinted glass as well as Fender sound system makes seeing it in the garage & driving it a complete delight. It is so similar in looks to a Mercedes that I almost walked up to the wrong car once! I know I paid a lot less and have probably a more dependable vehicle. I have discovered, though, Wisconsin weather is not my Jetta's favorite - because of the low profile & gorgeous little front spoiler (lack of ground clearance), any accumulation of precipitation, be it water or snow, makes for a less than sweet ride. We're purchasing a winter vehicle to let the Jetta sit the bad days out. If she continues to be the great car she's been over the last nearly 2 years, I can see keeping her forever. Gas mileage is awesome, creature comforts abundant and just a really fun car to drive. By the way, while shopping for a new vehicle, I was very impressed by how well appointed this car is, with navigation, blue tooth, heated seats & super sound system as well as the other upgrades - making the Jetta SEL Premium an excellent value. I checked the current Kelly Blue Book value, and am very pleased with the number, as my current pay off for my lease is less than that! Love the car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen near Honolulu. See local deals