2014 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,516 - $23,536.

10/7.4

8.2

Based on 16 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

One of the best GTIs ever made

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Safety, economy, customization, reliability"

Cons: "FWD, heavy, value"

Mine lowered on ST Coilovers and Rotiform BLQ wheels

"Where to start. I have been driving VW vehicles for years now. This is actually my third GTI and have had a few Audi's as well. When it comes to reliability there is no need to worry. Being a VW, prices for maintenance are not high surprisingly, very easy to work on, and will give you relief knowing it won't let you down. The MK6 generation in my humble opinion is one of THE best looking GTI models that has been released. That was actually my first draw to the vehicle. It has a very aggressive look from the front and rear. And every body line starts at one corner of the vehicle and can be followed all the way around the car. Something that I love. Compared to the MK7 which has body lines that just drop off in random places and end suddenly. Not to mention the amount of customization you can do to make the car look that much more unique (ie. LED tails, Xenon headlights, R bumpers, etc.) Inside the vehicle is very well equipped with bluetooth, optional RNS headunits, sunroof, and interlagos/leather depending on the edition GTI. Mine is constantly streaming Spotify through the bluetooth via my Premium 8 headunit. And not to mention the hands free wheel controls for any phone calls and music controls. I could not live without that now. My GTI in particular has the interlagos as well, and I love the look of it. Actually, everyone that has ever seen it or been in my car has complimented it. Heated seats are a great touch especially in the Chicago winters. The "bucket" style seats up front are very comfortable and have lots of adjustment, however I feel the bolstering is a little too wide so hard cornering does make you slide in the seat a little unless you have an extremely wide back and huge thighs to keep you hugged and planted. The rear offers plenty of room for my son's Recaro seat and the 60/40 split is a great feature to give you plenty of cargo room for hauling boxes or small furniture. I'm still amazed at how much room there is inside. Something that I started noticing a week into driving is how quiet it is compared to all the previous models and other makes. There is A LOT of sound deadening and reduced whistle noise at high speeds thanks to redesigned mirrors and doors. Along with that, I kept finding more and more storage compartments and cup/bottle holders all over the front. So, if you like to keep a lot of stuff in your vehicle there is definitely adequate room for everything. Also, having 4+ star crash ratings overall was another selling point for me. You can definitely feel the rigidity of the vehicle with the extra steel in the pillars and the seam welded roof. I dare you to open any door on this car, and stand on the window frame or even the door handle/controls and jump on it. The door won't go anywhere. Do that with any other competition car and you'll see a quality difference without a doubt. Trust me, I've done it... The power delivery from the 2.0 is more than enough stock. And you can definitely feel the torque as well. And with some simple APR modifications you can definitely have a FWD hot hatch that can keep up or walk away from V8 counterparts in totally different leagues. It's a great feeling and no one would suspect it from such a small hatch. Definitely a sleeper vehicle with the right driver. Overall the car has been great to me. I love the customization you can achieve with the vehicle while still keeping the reliability. The comfort inside has been great and you feel safe and cocooned in your little shell. I've gotten to know many people in the VW community thanks to this car. Anyone from their teens and some married couples in their 50s who just want a fun and economical car. You can't put this vehicle with a certain demographic because, well, everyone I've came across loves it. Try one out, I can almost certainly guarantee that you'll find some attachment to the vehicle and want to take it home."

Mine lowered on ST Coilovers and Rotiform BLQ wheels

First VW ive owned and second German car- Love it

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and roomy for a 'compact' car.."

Cons: "None as of 7k miles!"

"Ive had countless cars, sports, muscle, a few luxury as well. And this is one of, if not my favorite car ive owned.. I battle with the idea of trading it in for a Benz, but without REAL leather seats im not going to pay 50-60k for a car, the value just isn't there.. The GTI Atbn is smooth, quiet, comfortable to ride in even with the 18 inch wheels and 40 series tires. It is good on gas but has the turbo for a little fun every so often, and is made with quality materials in and out.. There are no rattles or vibrations, which is one the reasons I cant stand most American cars.. Overall I would buy it again with no hesitation!"

Makes Driving Fun!!! :D

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great fit and finish inside and out."

Cons: "sm media screen, no back up cam, no pwr seats"

"An overall, very enjoyable car! Makes you want to take all the backroads to avoid people slowing you down! Very responsive in the engine and steering, and keeps up with some of the best sports cars out there! A lot of bang for your buck!"

Best Bang for the Buck

By on Saturday, January 17, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, quick yet practical."

Cons: "None of significance."

"20k in less than a year of ownership and flawless so far. Fun to drive with a healthy aftermarket if you're so inclined. After reviewing and testing my 3 choices, Ford Focus ST, Suburu WRX and the GTI, the VW won out on fit and finish over the WRX and it's simple logical controls and dash layout over the Ford. Not without it's negs though, I would like to have an auto dimming rearview mirror and the HVAC controls should be skewed toward the driver for readability. Good gas mileage even at speeds that get you to places quickly. Good price for me since it was the last, new 2013 on the lot."

Great basic FWD car with tremendous value

By on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Pros: "Incredible blend of features and performance"

Cons: "It's not a performance car"

"The GTI is a great value in a well-equipped FWD car. It's not a performance car. The few flaws it has are mostly forgiveable and easily dealt with. The oversized overweight 18" wheels with all-season tires absolutely have to go. I installed 16" wheels with same width tires but in a grippy summer compound. Makes a world of difference in all aspects of performance, as tires always will do but even more so because of the weight savings. Looks better and rides better too. For its class the car is a bit heavy and it feels so on the road. However this also gives it some stability at high speed over varied road surfaces so it's not too bad. You really feel the weight when changing direction. The suspension is relatively soft but firm enough for most people. The DSG gearbox is okay but not great when compared to sequential gearboxes on actual performance cars which is what I'm used to. Most drivers will be okay with it and not notice the problems. Some of the issues are inherent with twin clutch gearboxes. Single clutch sequentials don't have the same problems. Using DSG in manual mode helps, but most drivers won't bother and will be completely happy with it as it is. Some issues could be fixed by reprogramming how the gearbox works, for example to stop it from emulating a conventional automatic's 'creep' when releasing the brake and to make it stop downshifting and engine braking so aggressively. The brakes slow the car, not the engine. Again, manual mode generally prevents it from overdoing the downshifting. Wouldn't be so bad if all it did was downshift but it also engages the clutch, often at the worst possible moment. It just lacks some finesse. I have the base model GTI which comes with the standard audio system. It works well, but iPod control is rather awful. Fortunately it also has streaming Bluetooth so I just use my iPhone to control the music. You can use voice commands to change tracks if you want to operate handsfree once you select your playlist. The climate controls are a little light to the touch and feel flimsy. Takes some getting used to. I've found that feeling for the mark on the dial helps when adjusting while driving. The list of standard features is impressive. The build quality and design are first rate. For the price you won't find another car with the same blend of equipment, utility, versatility, and performance. Many standard features which are either optional or completely unavailable on competing models. I'm happy I tried the GTI but will be selling it probably when it's about a year old to someone better suited to it. The performance aspects, about which I had no expectations anyway, just don't quite cut it for me. I wanted to like it more than I do. Again, for most people this car will be all they'll ever need or want."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next