• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2014 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,822 - $24,113.

Invoice N/A

10/7.4

8.2

Based on 9 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

Per Page:  5 | 10

Love GTIs!

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great handling, comfortable"

"Bought a new 2013 Wolfsburg Edition GTI. My first car was a new 1983 GTI, so it seemed logical to get one 30 years later! Only have 1200 miles, but it has been great. Fun to drive, very comfortable (I'm 6'2"), good looks. Love the feel of the turbo, handling is super. I almost got a TDI for the mileage, but I splurged and got the GTI, even though the fuel cost may be higher. The fun factor is definitely higher!"

Really enjoy driving this car

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

"I purchased my GTI in February 2013 and currently have 7500 miles on it. I am really enjoying it. It's less horsepower than my previous car (Saab) but very fun to drive. The turbo helps and it has really nice steering and handling. It hugs the road and feels very stable taking turns at higher speeds. The interior is also very nice - the red stitching and plaid seats give it some personality. Two features that I think should be standard on this car but are not include - radio controls mounted on the steering wheel and automatic climate control. I miss both, particularly the steering wheel mounted radio controls. That being said, I could not be happier with this car."

A blast to drive, but missing some practicality

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, freeway performance, gas mileage"

Cons: "Wind noise, not very practical, on the small side"

"It was between this GTI and a GLI. I went with the GTI because I figured I could fold the seats down and have all this space. Well, if you have more than 1 person, it becomes harder to fold the seats down and keep people comfortable. I previously had a Passat, and that had tons of room. My GTI is a blast to drive, its just like a go-kart, and I get great gas mileage. But ultimately it's missing practicality, bragging ability, and is a little small for me (I'm 6'2"). It was fun while it lasted, but I'm slowly looking for a replacement. But it is a ton of fun!!"

Great basic FWD car with tremendous value

By on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Pros: "Incredible blend of features and performance"

Cons: "It's not a performance car"

"The GTI is a great value in a well-equipped FWD car. It's not a performance car. The few flaws it has are mostly forgiveable and easily dealt with. The oversized overweight 18" wheels with all-season tires absolutely have to go. I installed 16" wheels with same width tires but in a grippy summer compound. Makes a world of difference in all aspects of performance, as tires always will do but even more so because of the weight savings. Looks better and rides better too. For its class the car is a bit heavy and it feels so on the road. However this also gives it some stability at high speed over varied road surfaces so it's not too bad. You really feel the weight when changing direction. The suspension is relatively soft but firm enough for most people. The DSG gearbox is okay but not great when compared to sequential gearboxes on actual performance cars which is what I'm used to. Most drivers will be okay with it and not notice the problems. Some of the issues are inherent with twin clutch gearboxes. Single clutch sequentials don't have the same problems. Using DSG in manual mode helps, but most drivers won't bother and will be completely happy with it as it is. Some issues could be fixed by reprogramming how the gearbox works, for example to stop it from emulating a conventional automatic's 'creep' when releasing the brake and to make it stop downshifting and engine braking so aggressively. The brakes slow the car, not the engine. Again, manual mode generally prevents it from overdoing the downshifting. Wouldn't be so bad if all it did was downshift but it also engages the clutch, often at the worst possible moment. It just lacks some finesse. I have the base model GTI which comes with the standard audio system. It works well, but iPod control is rather awful. Fortunately it also has streaming Bluetooth so I just use my iPhone to control the music. You can use voice commands to change tracks if you want to operate handsfree once you select your playlist. The climate controls are a little light to the touch and feel flimsy. Takes some getting used to. I've found that feeling for the mark on the dial helps when adjusting while driving. The list of standard features is impressive. The build quality and design are first rate. For the price you won't find another car with the same blend of equipment, utility, versatility, and performance. Many standard features which are either optional or completely unavailable on competing models. I'm happy I tried the GTI but will be selling it probably when it's about a year old to someone better suited to it. The performance aspects, about which I had no expectations anyway, just don't quite cut it for me. I wanted to like it more than I do. Again, for most people this car will be all they'll ever need or want."

Per Page:  5 | 10