2014 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $26,395 - $27,932.

10/7.4

8.2

Based on 12 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

Fun to Drive, but have a spare car

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Reliable - it's not :("

"I love to drive this car, whether commuting or on a twisty road, but this is the last VW I will ever buy. i have replaced the battery twice, the water pump twice, the turbo once and it has been in the shop for countless transmission issues and a number of smaller repairs. The car is completely stock, with no mods, and has really never been driven that hard or raced. There really is no excuse for all these failures and it's a huge disappointment. I wish the dam thing wasn't so much fun to drive. It would make getting rid of it a lot easier. PS if you buy one. Get an extended warranty. You're gonna need it. The parts are outrageous too."

One of the best GTIs ever made

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Safety, economy, customization, reliability"

Cons: "FWD, heavy, value"

Mine lowered on ST Coilovers and Rotiform BLQ wheels

"Where to start. I have been driving VW vehicles for years now. This is actually my third GTI and have had a few Audi's as well. When it comes to reliability there is no need to worry. Being a VW, prices for maintenance are not high surprisingly, very easy to work on, and will give you relief knowing it won't let you down. The MK6 generation in my humble opinion is one of THE best looking GTI models that has been released. That was actually my first draw to the vehicle. It has a very aggressive look from the front and rear. And every body line starts at one corner of the vehicle and can be followed all the way around the car. Something that I love. Compared to the MK7 which has body lines that just drop off in random places and end suddenly. Not to mention the amount of customization you can do to make the car look that much more unique (ie. LED tails, Xenon headlights, R bumpers, etc.) Inside the vehicle is very well equipped with bluetooth, optional RNS headunits, sunroof, and interlagos/leather depending on the edition GTI. Mine is constantly streaming Spotify through the bluetooth via my Premium 8 headunit. And not to mention the hands free wheel controls for any phone calls and music controls. I could not live without that now. My GTI in particular has the interlagos as well, and I love the look of it. Actually, everyone that has ever seen it or been in my car has complimented it. Heated seats are a great touch especially in the Chicago winters. The "bucket" style seats up front are very comfortable and have lots of adjustment, however I feel the bolstering is a little too wide so hard cornering does make you slide in the seat a little unless you have an extremely wide back and huge thighs to keep you hugged and planted. The rear offers plenty of room for my son's Recaro seat and the 60/40 split is a great feature to give you plenty of cargo room for hauling boxes or small furniture. I'm still amazed at how much room there is inside. Something that I started noticing a week into driving is how quiet it is compared to all the previous models and other makes. There is A LOT of sound deadening and reduced whistle noise at high speeds thanks to redesigned mirrors and doors. Along with that, I kept finding more and more storage compartments and cup/bottle holders all over the front. So, if you like to keep a lot of stuff in your vehicle there is definitely adequate room for everything. Also, having 4+ star crash ratings overall was another selling point for me. You can definitely feel the rigidity of the vehicle with the extra steel in the pillars and the seam welded roof. I dare you to open any door on this car, and stand on the window frame or even the door handle/controls and jump on it. The door won't go anywhere. Do that with any other competition car and you'll see a quality difference without a doubt. Trust me, I've done it... The power delivery from the 2.0 is more than enough stock. And you can definitely feel the torque as well. And with some simple APR modifications you can definitely have a FWD hot hatch that can keep up or walk away from V8 counterparts in totally different leagues. It's a great feeling and no one would suspect it from such a small hatch. Definitely a sleeper vehicle with the right driver. Overall the car has been great to me. I love the customization you can achieve with the vehicle while still keeping the reliability. The comfort inside has been great and you feel safe and cocooned in your little shell. I've gotten to know many people in the VW community thanks to this car. Anyone from their teens and some married couples in their 50s who just want a fun and economical car. You can't put this vehicle with a certain demographic because, well, everyone I've came across loves it. Try one out, I can almost certainly guarantee that you'll find some attachment to the vehicle and want to take it home."

Mine lowered on ST Coilovers and Rotiform BLQ wheels

The Best Car I Have Ever Owned

By on Saturday, September 20, 2014

"Without a doubt...the best car I have ever owned. If you can only have one car in your family...this is the car. Very quick, nice interior, quality is superb, enough room to with the hatchback to haul stuff. I could not be happier with this purchase."

First VW ive owned and second German car- Love it

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and roomy for a 'compact' car.."

Cons: "None as of 7k miles!"

"Ive had countless cars, sports, muscle, a few luxury as well. And this is one of, if not my favorite car ive owned.. I battle with the idea of trading it in for a Benz, but without REAL leather seats im not going to pay 50-60k for a car, the value just isn't there.. The GTI Atbn is smooth, quiet, comfortable to ride in even with the 18 inch wheels and 40 series tires. It is good on gas but has the turbo for a little fun every so often, and is made with quality materials in and out.. There are no rattles or vibrations, which is one the reasons I cant stand most American cars.. Overall I would buy it again with no hesitation!"

Makes Driving Fun!!! :D

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great fit and finish inside and out."

Cons: "sm media screen, no back up cam, no pwr seats"

"An overall, very enjoyable car! Makes you want to take all the backroads to avoid people slowing you down! Very responsive in the engine and steering, and keeps up with some of the best sports cars out there! A lot of bang for your buck!"

great bang for the buck!

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

"excellent fit and finish! The Autobahn package came me everything I wanted in the car. Have had the vehicle for over on year and have had zero recall/warranty work done on it. Love the size, gas mileage (when not on spirited drives) and looks. The head lights even swivel when making turns to help illuminate the roadway. Got an Audi but paid VW prices. Highly recommend this car."

Avoid

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

"Noisy, rattles, creaks, bad gas mileage, poor build quality."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Loads of fun to drive"

Cons: "Cannot think of anything bad about the GTI"

"If you are in the market for a fun car that can serve as a daily driver and great utility, then this is the car for you. On the freeway it is fantastic, it has the horsepower to get you into a tight fit and do it in a hurry but that is nothing compared to what it can do in the twisty bits, it can corner on rails and has plenty of torque to accelerate through the apex with very little turbo lag. BTW, the max torque shows up at just 1750 RPMs! The seats are great, holds you in place nicely and are very comfortable on long trips. I have the bi-xenon lights that light up the sky! I got as many options as I could up to but not including the leather seats, the plaid is just, well, GTI what else can be said. I also have the six speed manual gearbox, would not have it any other way, it is butter smooth and allows me much more control of the car. I cannot speak highly enough about the GTI, it is for the money, a phenom! The fit and finish is miles above the competition. I looked at the Mazda Speed 3 and the Ford Focus STI, both have some things that are better, but overall, neither comes close to the GTI. If you are considering a new purchase, don't walk, run and get yourself into one of these, you will not have any regrets!"

Love GTIs!

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great handling, comfortable"

"Bought a new 2013 Wolfsburg Edition GTI. My first car was a new 1983 GTI, so it seemed logical to get one 30 years later! Only have 1200 miles, but it has been great. Fun to drive, very comfortable (I'm 6'2"), good looks. Love the feel of the turbo, handling is super. I almost got a TDI for the mileage, but I splurged and got the GTI, even though the fuel cost may be higher. The fun factor is definitely higher!"

Really enjoy driving this car

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

"I purchased my GTI in February 2013 and currently have 7500 miles on it. I am really enjoying it. It's less horsepower than my previous car (Saab) but very fun to drive. The turbo helps and it has really nice steering and handling. It hugs the road and feels very stable taking turns at higher speeds. The interior is also very nice - the red stitching and plaid seats give it some personality. Two features that I think should be standard on this car but are not include - radio controls mounted on the steering wheel and automatic climate control. I miss both, particularly the steering wheel mounted radio controls. That being said, I could not be happier with this car."