2012 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 66 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Great car!

By on Friday, May 06, 2011

"great all around car, very nice interior quality (espcially with the autobahn package). Loads of technology for the price range (love the cornering xenon headlights). Dynaudio sound system is very nice for the pricerange of the car. This car is very fun to drive and has amazing handling and has a good amount of power as well. The GTI is in its element on twisting country roads where its power and handling really shine through. This car is not designed to make you a "stoplight hero," its main purpose is to deliver a smooth ride with superb handling combined with the practicality of a hatchback. Also it does what ANY good German car does which is to make 90mph feel like 55mph. 6spd manual is incredibly smooth and loads of fun to drive. VW has done an excellant job with the mk6 (my first GTI) however one styling element that NEEDS to be incorporated into the US spec models are the LED tailights (Cherry Reds) available at ECS tuning) which are only found on the Euro spec GTI's (Which made me have to spend $700 to get a part that should be standard on ALL GTI's). As I said though this is a very nice car all around and of course delivers the sought after German car quality and performance for a very low price. If you have not gone German before and this is your first German car I highly recommend it to you due to its superior build and ride quality."

Fantastic Car!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "A blast to drive, great MPG, excellent interior"

Cons: "Smallish nav screen, leaky rear washer nozzle"

"I bought my GTI Autobahn new in 2011 and I've been very pleased with the car. First of all, the interior quality and attention to detail is top-notch. It drives wonderfully, and the smooth power delivery of the 2.0L turbo engine is nothing short of addicting. I opted for the six-speed manual and have not regretted it. The clutch is easy to operate with smooth engagement, and the shifting is precise and has a great feel. On top of the incredible handling and smooth, powerful engine, it is quite economical. I usually see 32-34 mpg on highway trips and about 25 mpg in town, and I have a heavy right foot! Another feature I love is how much space it has for what seems like a small car on the outside. The back seat can comfortably accomodate two average-sized adults, and it can swallow a surprising amount of cargo. Fold the rear seats down, and it is down right cavernous back there. My only real criticisms are that the navigation screen is a bit small (but it DOES allow you to program a destination while the car is in motion), the accessory rubber floor mats did not wear well, and the rear washer nozzle leaks fluid onto the glass occasionally (multiple trips to the dealer have not rectified the problem). My next car will almost certainly be another GTI, but perhaps the 5-door model (easier access to the rear seats)."

at last she's mine 2012 6spd Shadow Blue

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "Fun comfortable solid"

Cons: "It cost money."

"I've had my GTI for about a year and I couldn't be happier. If I baby it I can get 30+ mpg. The only issue I've had is the interior center vent "broke" while someone else was driving her. It's covered under the warranty. I've wanted a GTI since I was a teenager. It's every bit as good as I'd hoped. The build quality is solid and it's so freaking comfortable. The seats fit like a glove, Tons of space, enough for my dogs or bike with seats down. I wish it had 300hp but as it is she purrs and scoots. I love it! My partner has a Nissan Juke SV AWD and I cant think of a single category that it even comes close to matching my VW except reliability and that is to be determined."

Outstanding Value, Quality

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Value, Quality"

Cons: "Premium gas, occasional obscure control logic"

Ownership Day One!

"I was looking for a smaller car with better gas mileage, without giving up the fun and sportiness that I have grown to enjoy in a car. Having owned a 312HP car for a while, I was concerned that the GTI might lack the performance I had become accustomed to. But thankfully I was completely wrong. From the first test drive I fell in love with the spirited performance, tight handling, good feedback in the cabin. The pick up was very instant without hesitation or turbo lag at most speeds. And if you engage the sport mode on the DSG, the car is incredibly responsive and fun. Even the base model (which I purchased) is generously equipped. Great Bluetooth experience, good iPhone hook up, and the fit and finish is unmistakably German and in a good way. There are more flashy hot hatches on the market, faster ones, more economical ones, but you'd have a hard time finding one in this price range that checks all the boxes so well. This car isn't about being the best at one thing (speed, handling, ride, economy etc). It's about providing a wonderful compromise in so many areas that what you are left with is a brilliant all round excellent vehicle. As for the downside, while the fuel economy is good, it requires premium gas, so at least some of that nice fuel efficiency is going to be lost to the more expensive gas. German cars sometimes have a few little quirks in the controls that are not immediately obvious. For example the trip computer does not easily offer up its available options unless one holds the trip computer rocker switch for three seconds. I mean did they really need to design it so I had to Google that answer? Probably not. In conclusion this is a fun yet sensible all around great car. VW have had decades to get the mix right on this vehicle, and that finesse certainly pays off in the driving experience. If someone told me that it was a $35K Audi, I would find it easy to believe. This car represents an excellent value and is certainly worth a drive if you are shopping in this segment. I am so far thrilled with it. So unless it starts to have some major problems later on, I suspect I'll be very pleased."

Ownership Day One!

My favorite GTi

By on Friday, April 15, 2011

"This is definitely the best GTi yet (my 3rd one). Interior quality is still top notch, handling is great and good mpg (getting 32). It may not be the fastest car around but with a few changes I have mine dyno'd at 260hp. Much better now, feels like the old VR6. The upcoming R should get you that stock. Mechanically it has been solid (20k miles)- better than the 2007 I owned. My understanding is the new 2.0 TFsI has a timing chain vs a belt so long term reliability should be promising. This engine wins awards year after year. I've had one electrical issue (dome light) and the armrest broke but quickly addressed by the dealer. Car is quiet(er) than previous models and the new interior is every bit as good as more expensive cars I looked at. Dynaudio sound, bluetooth steering wheel controls are a bonus. Seats are great and hold you well but get a little uncomfortable on long (12hr) drives. Then again maybe i am getting older. Save the $$ and get a GTI. Best car you can buy under $25k."