2012 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 63 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Pretty awesome

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "Value driving anc commuting pleasure, practical"

"For roads in my area it is as much car as you can put on the road sanely and still have fun. I came from a much higher horsepower rear wheel drive car and dont miss it. I could never get out of second gear without risking lives and freedom. The gti is a near perfect driving machine. I have to deduct points for front wheel drive and the weight bias that causes, It is just a perfectly balanced "i live in the real world" car. just drove on a 2000 mile round trip journey. Comfortable the whole way; averaged 38mpg on the highway and it carried all my stuff perfectly. Dont know where the epa gets its ratings... I cant get it to run below about 28mpg if im out hitting the curvy roads like a hooligan all day."

Most fun car ever!

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, luxurious"

Cons: "Brother that is 6'4" has some room issues"

"You can't ask for a car that mixes business with pleasure better! It has great fuel economy and great performance. It looks great - very sharp lines. The interior is luxurious and roomy. The hatchback offers versatility for hauling things around and is great for dogs. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants to have a fun, practical car that also has the finishes of a luxury brand."

Fantastic Car!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "A blast to drive, great MPG, excellent interior"

Cons: "Smallish nav screen, leaky rear washer nozzle"

"I bought my GTI Autobahn new in 2011 and I've been very pleased with the car. First of all, the interior quality and attention to detail is top-notch. It drives wonderfully, and the smooth power delivery of the 2.0L turbo engine is nothing short of addicting. I opted for the six-speed manual and have not regretted it. The clutch is easy to operate with smooth engagement, and the shifting is precise and has a great feel. On top of the incredible handling and smooth, powerful engine, it is quite economical. I usually see 32-34 mpg on highway trips and about 25 mpg in town, and I have a heavy right foot! Another feature I love is how much space it has for what seems like a small car on the outside. The back seat can comfortably accomodate two average-sized adults, and it can swallow a surprising amount of cargo. Fold the rear seats down, and it is down right cavernous back there. My only real criticisms are that the navigation screen is a bit small (but it DOES allow you to program a destination while the car is in motion), the accessory rubber floor mats did not wear well, and the rear washer nozzle leaks fluid onto the glass occasionally (multiple trips to the dealer have not rectified the problem). My next car will almost certainly be another GTI, but perhaps the 5-door model (easier access to the rear seats)."

Unreliable and full of hassles

By on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Pros: "It looks great when parked!"

Cons: "Unreliable, outdated technology, inconvenient,"

"In the first few months the radiator leaked twice and a pump failed. VW only loaned me a car once, and that was after a lot of unnecessary nonsense. That alone should steer the reader away from VW. Also, the stereo is supposed to be Bluetooth, but the control panel will not fast forward songs, select songs or select folders using my smartphone which is a Galaxy III. So if you want to function your phone, you still need to drive with your knee and operate the phone, which is so backwards compared to hands-free system of the Focus ST and other 2012s. Basically the "fancy German engineered" head unit is no better than just plugging an audio cable directly into your phones headphone output. The Bluetooth is also a pain to reconnect every time I start the car. It uses a little button on the turn signal behind the steering wheel to function the limited phone options, such as dialing. And entering the numbers takes so long you might as well just wait until you arrive at your friend's house and skip the call altogether. There is no text option. The key locks are a joke, usually only one door unlocks and VW won't change it even though I know they could. The gas cap will be locked but when you unlock it the car honks at you and locks you out while you are pumping gas. Sometimes I think it's locked when it's not. You never know. The power for my GPS turns off when the car is off, so if you stop for gas, or a drink, then restart the car you have to wait until the GPS turns on, hit OK, then reprogram your destination. The USB port is nice, but cost $40 to convert if you don't use Apple (which I don't), unfortunately you cannot change the USB while driving because of it's location so you might have to just listen to what you have plugged in already. And remember you can't choose what song is playing on your phone. The Audio input is in the drink holder so you have to choose either a drink or audio device. So overall it is very frustrating and inconvenient for commuting. If you are a grandma and need something for going to the store and aren't going to put alot of miles on this then it's ok, I guess. But if you want something more fun and reliable to commute in, I would look at the Focus ST. Check out the Recarro Seats."

Lots of fun

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Pros: "Good looking, compact, sticks corners well, fun"

Cons: "iffy breaks, mpg is questionable, want more HP."

"My 2005 benz C230 Kommperssor (lol) was flooded during Sandy and the GTI really impressed me with the speed and agility. I drive in nyc, and the stock rims on the GTI are 18"...really hurts when you hit a bump. Regardless, the wheels on this car are beautiful and they came with all season Pirelli's!(I also purchased the wheel and tire insurance) The breaks don't instill a lot of confidence, seems like they lag a bit. It's not high on amenities but still very cool cockpit feel to it. Also, I've had the car for only two wks and on my day to day drive I'm not getting more than 18mpg. Overall, I am happy with my purchase."