2012 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 64 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Over 35 or have back problems, DON'T buy!

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "maybe fun to drive, but not worth back issues."

Cons: "extremely small and tough gettin in and out of."

"I purchased this car along with another VW. This car has bucket seats and about a month after purchasing I began to have back issues. This car is so uncomfortable it's not funny, and after trying time after time to resolve this issue with VW, I have to trade it in."

Not a reliable car

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior, good option selections available."

Cons: "Completely unreliable."

"I've owned this car now for two years. Starting around 30,000 miles, it began having problems with misfires and fuel consumption. Now over three separate visits, it's been in the shop for move than three weeks total (1 bad timing chain, 1 bad fuel injector, and not sure what today's fun will be). Fuel consumption on the car went from around 30MPG on average to 23MPG following the second round of maintenance. Worst part is that the misfire issue robs engine power, and usually happens just as you're merging/accelerating in traffic, with dangerous results."

great car fast fun and great on gas

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "fun fun and fun"

Cons: "Not sexy looking."

"Well made car from Germany. Fast ,fun to drive ,easy around town or fast on the twisties.Zero to sixty in 6.5 seconds."

wouldn't buy another vw

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "beautiful interior quality parts fun to drive"

Cons: "unreliable"

"my car and i have a love/hate relationship. i love the interior and with the ecu upgrade it gives it lots of usable power. I've owned the car for just over a year though and its been back to the dealerships for countless reasons. at about 20k the water pump needed to be replaced and about 5000 miles later there was a problem with the alarm not shutting(still don't know why). at 40k a 40k service (plugs coils replaced oil change and filters) was done at 52000 miles the car broke down twice due to a carbon build up in the intake block due to faulty plugs and coils($1200 later) car still misfired and i ended up replacing the coils with upgraded r8 coil packs. i drive many miles everyday for work so it being comfortable and fun to drive is a plus but sitting in service all the time isn't worth it. i will not be buying another volkswagon. oh and its for sale=) great car you buy nowww"

From Japanese to German, what a difference!

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Handling, horsepower, comfort, fuel economy"

Cons: "Parts and service can be expensive"

"I had a Toyota Matrix, based on the world-famous Corolla. Very reliable but a soul-less cheap basic car that was lacking in so many ways. Funny thing, though, I had no idea how aweful the Toyota was until I drove a GTI. Perhaps aweful is not fair. The Matrix is a good car. But the VW is so much more. And you pay for it. My used GTI cost twice that of my used Matrix. And worth every penny. What a joy to drive. Quiet, refined, really quick. Everything is high quality and you can see and feel the design effort that went into it. Easily the best car I have ever owned."

A great little car. Rides and drives nice.

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Fun yet practical"

Cons: "Snow builds up in the Detroit style wheels"

"Fun and practical. Drives like a sports car, has room for all daily functions."

The GTI....

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "interior, style, solid build, fun, fun to upgrade"

Cons: "factory perf rating"

"These are great cars, fun to drive and build quality is excellent. Sure the WRX and EVO may have better performance ratings, but the interior quality on those cars are sub-par. Besides, there's a quick fix to that performance 'issue'. While from the factory, the GTI has enough pep and zing to make you smile, but take a quick trip to your nearest APR store, pay $600 for a CPU upgrade and boooooom.....you can now watch the WRX in your rear view."

I love this car!

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "So much fun to drive, excellent build quality"

Cons: "Maintenance is a little more expensive"

"I've owned my CPO 2010 GTI for close to a year now, and I would have to say that this is the best car I have ever owned. The body styling is attractive and there isn't a week that goes by that I don't get a compliment from someone who has a nice comment for the car's looks. The United Gray Metallic paint looks great and even in the winter months where things get pretty cruddy, it still looks good. The interior, hands down, is the absolute best you can get in this price class. It's basically a poor-man's Audi. The quality of the materials are fantastic, with very few hard surfaces. Specifically to the GTI, the cloth seats with the plaid design is eye-catching without being gaudy, and I've had more than one person mention how cool they look. Switchgear is smooth and supple, with no harsh clicks or cheapness of feel. Power and performance is excellent. The TSI turbo 2.0 liter motor in this car puts out 200HP stock, and has plenty of aftermarket mods available to take that north of 300HP, should you feel so inclined. That said, the stock motor is powerful enough to put a smile on your face should you have the urge to want to put your right foot through the floor. There's some turbo lag at lower RPMs, but that is a side effect of most motors equipped with a turbo. Although I have not done so (yet), information is out there that with a chip tune (about a $600-700 investment) you can gain a significant amount of power while almost negating any turbo lag. Fuel economy is pretty good too. I do a lot of highway driving, and my average fuel economy is about 30-31 MPG. I could probably do better, but this is a performance car, and there are times where I like to drive it like I stole it, which makes those number suffer to an extent. A premium fuel requirement makes fill-ups a little more expensive, but if you're going to quibble over a couple extra bucks to fill your tank, maybe this isn't the car for you. Steering feel is acceptable, but could use a bit more road feel feedback. This is due to the car using an electric steering system, as opposed to the hydraulic system used on most other cars. I've read that this has improved with the soon-to-come-to-the-States Mark VII GTI. That being said, this car handles like it's on rails. Cloverleaf intersection coming up? This car will take that 270 degree turn at 50 MPH, no worries. Braking is also acceptable, grabbing briskly when needed. The car will come to a stop very quickly, but the brakes are prone to fade fairly quickly if you're using them for an extended period of time. I suspect that this is due to the OEM pads installed on the car, and that acceptable gains in performance would be realized if one were to install ceramic pads once the OEM ones are worn down. I've seen a lot of people say that the overall build quality of VW cars is marginal, with a lot of rattles and loose parts, but frankly I have not had that experience with my car. It feels like a solid, quality car. Overall, I would say that I am very happy that I purchased this car, and because of this, I will be considering the 2015 GDI (the turbo-diesel performance model of the Golf) once it hits our shores."

Like a "tank"

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "really fun to drive, easy to park, great on gas,"

Cons: "Interior center console somewhat useless"

"I know it is a compact but once you drive one you will understand. This car feels more solid than my SRT8 Challenger at speed (90+mph) on the interstate it does not get pushed around. Mine gets a average of 29mph driving the car somewhat spirited. I kick myself for not buying one eaarlier in life."

Excellent Car

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, well built, practical"

Cons: "Sluggish when driven on auto (Drive) mode"

"I purchased my VW GTI new in 2012, initially with some apprehension, since it was my first VW. The car is now about 18 months old and so far, it runs very well. Fun to drive, well built and relatively comfortable. One of the features I like most, is the DSG transmission which combines the good performances of a manual transmission with the ease of use of an automatic. Probably the best car I ever owned. Highly recommended to those seeking an affordable sporty car which is not too punishing, well built and practical."

See if you qualify for