2011 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 72 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

great car fast fun and great on gas

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "fun fun and fun"

Cons: "Not sexy looking."

"Well made car from Germany. Fast ,fun to drive ,easy around town or fast on the twisties.Zero to sixty in 6.5 seconds."

Great car. Fun to drive

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Transmission may give problems later in cars life"

"This car is great. Its a real joy to drive. The pick up is pretty good for a 4 cyl engine and the suspension is very tight so cornering is a joy. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheaper fun to drive car than a bmw."

Is this a Porsche?

By on Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pros: "Great value sports car, style, performance, comfort, practicality"

Cons: "There are lots of options we don't get here that are available in Europe"

"Remember when Porsches had VW engines? I have a 2012 GTI Autobahn DSG. Well, this car would sell well with the Porsche name on it and a $10,000 price premium. It could be. This car is just an amazing value. There are many comparisons online with the Audi A3 and the GTI wins them all. The best part is the $7,000 you save on a better car. They are pretty rare too. Used to be that you would see them everywhere, or at least a Golf. Now, I can go all day in the city without seeing one. There were only 2 others configured like mine on the ground in the US when I bought it. People stop and stare at it every time I take it out. Are we turning into a third world country, now that Volkswagens are exotic? Yes, it is fast, fun to drive, and comfortable like all the review say. No need to go on about that. Google GTI review and see what I don't have to say here."

Over 35 or have back problems, DON'T buy!

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "maybe fun to drive, but not worth back issues."

Cons: "extremely small and tough gettin in and out of."

"I purchased this car along with another VW. This car has bucket seats and about a month after purchasing I began to have back issues. This car is so uncomfortable it's not funny, and after trying time after time to resolve this issue with VW, I have to trade it in."

Lots of fun

By on Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Pros: "Good looking, compact, sticks corners well, fun"

Cons: "iffy breaks, mpg is questionable, want more HP."

"My 2005 benz C230 Kommperssor (lol) was flooded during Sandy and the GTI really impressed me with the speed and agility. I drive in nyc, and the stock rims on the GTI are 18"...really hurts when you hit a bump. Regardless, the wheels on this car are beautiful and they came with all season Pirelli's!(I also purchased the wheel and tire insurance) The breaks don't instill a lot of confidence, seems like they lag a bit. It's not high on amenities but still very cool cockpit feel to it. Also, I've had the car for only two wks and on my day to day drive I'm not getting more than 18mpg. Overall, I am happy with my purchase."

What can I say....

By on Saturday, July 11, 2015

Pros: "solid driving experience, great interior, fun!"

Cons: "mediocre gas mileage"

"I tend to be pretty harsh, but only have good things to say about this vehicle. We'll see how long that will last, but the first 30k miles have been EXCELLENT."

Fun, sporty, economical hot hatch great for DDing

By on Friday, March 4, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, economical, ages well"

Cons: "carbon build-up issue, rear brake pads"

"I bought this car new in 2010 with HID headlamps and a moon roof (1st model year for the MKVI and the options were a la carte). This has been a fantastic vehicle. More reliable than my previous Honda Civic Si (1999) and my Acura Integra (1998) and has been a blast to drive for the near 6 years I've owned the vehicle. Other than the usual oil changes and routine maintenance the only issues I've had were the passenger side electronic module going bad (covered under warranty at 18k miles in the 2nd year of ownership) and the carbon build-up issue that affects all direct-injected motors (not just the VW GTI of this model year, but spans across all makes/models with a direct-injected fuel system). This caused issues with the engine's breathing ability and showed symptoms around 50k miles. I drove it to 83k miles before addressing the issue myself. After cleaning the intake ports myself the car has been running flawlessly and I'm currently at 95k miles. The 17-inch wheels make for cheaper tire replacements, but 18-inch wheels became standard on the 2011 models. The OEM rear brake pads are really soft and wear quickly, when you replace them definitely go aftermarket. The fuel economy has been great (about 28mpg average over its lifespan). Rear seating is fantastic and the cargo area should be sufficient for most people. After 6 years and 95k miles the interior is still in fantastic shape."

Unreliable and full of hassles

By on Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Pros: "It looks great when parked!"

Cons: "Unreliable, outdated technology, inconvenient,"

"In the first few months the radiator leaked twice and a pump failed. VW only loaned me a car once, and that was after a lot of unnecessary nonsense. That alone should steer the reader away from VW. Also, the stereo is supposed to be Bluetooth, but the control panel will not fast forward songs, select songs or select folders using my smartphone which is a Galaxy III. So if you want to function your phone, you still need to drive with your knee and operate the phone, which is so backwards compared to hands-free system of the Focus ST and other 2012s. Basically the "fancy German engineered" head unit is no better than just plugging an audio cable directly into your phones headphone output. The Bluetooth is also a pain to reconnect every time I start the car. It uses a little button on the turn signal behind the steering wheel to function the limited phone options, such as dialing. And entering the numbers takes so long you might as well just wait until you arrive at your friend's house and skip the call altogether. There is no text option. The key locks are a joke, usually only one door unlocks and VW won't change it even though I know they could. The gas cap will be locked but when you unlock it the car honks at you and locks you out while you are pumping gas. Sometimes I think it's locked when it's not. You never know. The power for my GPS turns off when the car is off, so if you stop for gas, or a drink, then restart the car you have to wait until the GPS turns on, hit OK, then reprogram your destination. The USB port is nice, but cost $40 to convert if you don't use Apple (which I don't), unfortunately you cannot change the USB while driving because of it's location so you might have to just listen to what you have plugged in already. And remember you can't choose what song is playing on your phone. The Audio input is in the drink holder so you have to choose either a drink or audio device. So overall it is very frustrating and inconvenient for commuting. If you are a grandma and need something for going to the store and aren't going to put alot of miles on this then it's ok, I guess. But if you want something more fun and reliable to commute in, I would look at the Focus ST. Check out the Recarro Seats."

GTI

By on Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Seats are way too hard. Performance is very poor my 2011 golf tdi feels faster than it. way over priced definitely would not recommend to a friend!"

By on Sunday, October 24, 2010