2011 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 65 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

great all around car

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, gas mileage, hatch storage, looks"

Cons: "None yet"

"Ive owned my 2 door 6spd manual Gti for approx 1 year. This is a great car that is comfortable, great on gas, good storage, quick and so far very reliable. I've had a lot of different cars in the past (bmw's, vette, Benz, s2k,) and they were all great but each had a negative point. For some it was storage, seating, practicality or high payment. The Gti covers all those issues and is relativity inexpensive. The 2.0 turbo has been great so far and has more than ample power. Its nice to drive and average around 30 mpg and then when you want to have a little fun the Gti will perform. I live in Las Vegas and most of the highways are concrete. Surprisingly the Gti is pretty quiet on the roads and has a decent ride. If you've been thinking about getting a Gti, I would strongly suggest driving one......I love mine"

Outstanding Value, Quality

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Value, Quality"

Cons: "Premium gas, occasional obscure control logic"

Ownership Day One!

"I was looking for a smaller car with better gas mileage, without giving up the fun and sportiness that I have grown to enjoy in a car. Having owned a 312HP car for a while, I was concerned that the GTI might lack the performance I had become accustomed to. But thankfully I was completely wrong. From the first test drive I fell in love with the spirited performance, tight handling, good feedback in the cabin. The pick up was very instant without hesitation or turbo lag at most speeds. And if you engage the sport mode on the DSG, the car is incredibly responsive and fun. Even the base model (which I purchased) is generously equipped. Great Bluetooth experience, good iPhone hook up, and the fit and finish is unmistakably German and in a good way. There are more flashy hot hatches on the market, faster ones, more economical ones, but you'd have a hard time finding one in this price range that checks all the boxes so well. This car isn't about being the best at one thing (speed, handling, ride, economy etc). It's about providing a wonderful compromise in so many areas that what you are left with is a brilliant all round excellent vehicle. As for the downside, while the fuel economy is good, it requires premium gas, so at least some of that nice fuel efficiency is going to be lost to the more expensive gas. German cars sometimes have a few little quirks in the controls that are not immediately obvious. For example the trip computer does not easily offer up its available options unless one holds the trip computer rocker switch for three seconds. I mean did they really need to design it so I had to Google that answer? Probably not. In conclusion this is a fun yet sensible all around great car. VW have had decades to get the mix right on this vehicle, and that finesse certainly pays off in the driving experience. If someone told me that it was a $35K Audi, I would find it easy to believe. This car represents an excellent value and is certainly worth a drive if you are shopping in this segment. I am so far thrilled with it. So unless it starts to have some major problems later on, I suspect I'll be very pleased."

Ownership Day One!

Great Car, Great Value!

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "Engine, great handling, versatile, great handling."

"Owned a Honda Civic Si before, which was a great car, but compared to the VW there is no comparison. The biggest differences are the trim offered and the overall build quality of the car. It's quiet when you're cruising, handles great, and has an great stereo (Autobahn Pkg). If you're considering this car, do yourself a favor and get it! You won't regret it!"

Love this car

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Good price, fun to drive"

Cons: "Adjusting the manual seats"

"Best car I've ever owned"

Best. Car. Ever.

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "EVERYTHING"

Cons: "Cruise control button location"

"I just got a GTI 4 door model in Carbon Steel Grey Metallic a few days ago and i already have about 160 miles on it. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE. THIS. CAR! The acceleration is great and the sport seats really hold you in when you make turns. The car just feels super high quality when you are sitting in it. i also love the DSG transmission because it shifts gears before you can even blink. If you're in the car buying market, TEST DRIVE A GTI!"

BEST value of its price range

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Value, Handling, Refinement, Total Package, FUN"

Cons: "FWD, Clutch is not lasting"

Typical Florida Afternoon

"The interior is amazing, and with little maintenance can be kept to amazing quality. 6000 miles so far with little deterioration. It's truly a beautiful car. Mine is Candy White 2-door, and I just stop and stare whenever I see her. Looks even better and aggressive with the Euro Plate (mine says "DAS TURBO".) The handling of this car is amazing. I live part year in the country-side of Maryland and this thing has very high limits. I own and drive a 2006 Mustang GT and 2008 Acura RDX, and this hot hatch kills them overall. The GT accelerates faster but the GTI is much funner. So nimble, it goes where you want it, it's well planted to the ground. The acceleration is quick, it doesn't take long before you realize you're already exceeding the speed limit. The stick-shift on this car is incredibly fun and rewarding, everyday I am excited to drive it. The overall package is so amazing, refined, engineered, and best off, if you're looking for more, it's easily available. Just a few reasons it won Car and Driver's top 10 cars in every year of its MK6 production."

My video

Typical Florida Afternoon

0-60

2012 GTI 4 Door Autobahn

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "DSG, Sport Mode, Leather Seats, Great Sport Car"

"Excellent car, very powerful- turbocharge....The LED DLR and Serron Wheel 18" are super cool. The Handling is phenomenal very fun/sport car to drive. Getting like 29 mpg."

BEST CAR I HAVE OWNED - BUY ONE!

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, comfort, features, looks, mpg"

Cons: "none!"

"I love this car and have nothing but great things to say about it. More than any other car I have owned (Plymouth, Chevy (2), Pontiac, Lexus, Toyota (2), Mitsubishi), this car is hands down the most fun. It has good power, great handling, and appealing looks. The interior has loads of space and amazes me everytime I go to the grocery store. It is also extremely comfortable with nice amenties and a very well laid out interior design that obviously came from Audi's shelves. I have not had a single issue or concern, and my servicings have all been free thanks to VW's Carefree Maintenance promotion. On top of all that, I get over 30 mpg! If you are considering this or any other "hot hatch," economy car, or even small sports car, you need to test drive a GTI. To say it in less than 10 words: I would definately buy this car again."

Great to drive

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, DSG transmission, Styling"

Cons: "Needs a longer 1st gear. ESP a little aggressive"

"I've had this car for 2 years now and Handles better than any Car I've ever owned. I would buy another (I may upgrade to the Audi A3 (which is the same car) in a few years when my Payments are done, just because I like the Audi Styling a little better. I average about 28 mpg city/hwy driving and on 100 mile trips I do during work I typically get 37mpg if I can say off the gas and keep it around 64 mph. The DSG twin-clutch transmission is wonderful, shifts blisteringly fast. My only complaint with the DSG is if you use the Sport Mode Automatic it will typically hold 1st gear about half a second too long, but a manual shift corrects that."

Want a small reliable compact car, this it it!

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "Drive, gas mileage, dealer service. Fun to drive!"

Cons: "None that I have run across so far in 1 1/2 years."

"As someone who has always owned SUV's for full-size pickups, this was a BIG change for me. My initial selling points on the GTI were horsepower, great gas mileage, fun to drive and comfort in ride (I'm over 6 ft. tall). Only the GTI hit it on all these marks. I didn't want to trade the horsepower I had in previous vehicles, but I wanted great gas mileage that you get in a small car. The GTI was about the only one that didn't trade one for the other. My initial relationship with the selling dealership was disappointing, but my experiences with my local dealership in Knoxville have been excellent and I expect my next vehicle purchase will be a VW from them. They have provided excellent and friendly service and advice. If the GTI is too much for your budget, seriously consider the Rabbit/Golf as a second option with a few features removed."

Fun and practical

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "Great to drive."

Cons: "Front wheel drive, could use a little more power"

"The GTI is a great car to drive although it could use a little more power. The chassis could easily handle it. The interior is very nice and the hatchback adds great practicality for a sporty car."

Awesome in almost every way

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Performance, build-quality, handling, fun to drive"

Cons: "Awkward manual climate control"

"I wanted a smaller, more fuel-efficient car that is fun to drive and a hatchback. I drove them all. Hands-down, this is the best. There are others more powerful, and some less money, but the GTI provides the best combination of positive features, and without a doubt is the most refined, in terms of build quality, quality of materials, and engine performance. The only options I would add the next time are built-in nav and fully automatic climate control."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "Great value, fun, fast, sporty, awesome to drive."

Cons: "Small for a family car."

"I love this car. It has been very reliable, no problems ever. The leather seats are very high quality - sport seats hold you in place. The car is a blast to drive - handling is amazing. It gets great gas mileage - I get about 25 around town and 33 on the highway. It is better than the rating on the window sticker. It amazes me that the car is so inexpensive. You would have to spend a lot more to get a car that drives as well with comparable options."

Great Car with a few odd, infrequent issues

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "very fun to drive, practical uses, and spacious"

Cons: "difficult to use the power outlet in the front"

"I've owned this car since April 2010 and bought it new (2010 2-door, 6pd manual transmission). I've had one serious issue that was covered under my 3-year/36,000-mile warranty. The major issue was the electronic door module on the passenger-side failing. The expense would've cost me over $800 for parts/labor, but it was covered under the factory warranty since it occurred at 13,500 miles. The other issues (common issues like the rear windshield washer fluid leak and the interior vent issue - fixed with zip ties and is not visible) were also covered under warranty. Extremely fun to drive, plenty of useful standard equipment and quality build of this machine is fantastic. The gas mileage is observed to be 30-31mpg on the highway (but i do have a roof rack for a bicycle...and it generally reduces it by 2-3mpg). Overall i'm getting just over 26mpg with my combined city/highway. It's still quite responsive, quick, and with it being a hatchback, it's very practical. The power outlet is a bit difficult to use and there is a slight lack of storage, but i do not find that to be a big deal."

Exciting Ride

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun"

Cons: "Speeding Tickets :("

"I purchased this vehicle after a tour of duty overseas. Before getting deployed I had gone and test driven this machine. After that ride I was determined to buy it. The car's interior is explendid, and for a car with it's price, it's more than impressive. The exterior is no exception either. I am in love with the mean design of the headlights, makes peple give your car a double take. Now the best part for me is, when I put this baby on "sport" mode and hear that turbo charger inhale and propulse me from 0 to 60mph in under 4 secs. Love Speed."

I so love my GTI!!!!

By on Friday, December 02, 2011

Pros: "Styling, great price, build quality, fun"

"I've had my GTI for about 7 months and I absolutely love it. I traded in a 2007 350z for it, and before the Z, I had a BMW 5 series. I would take my GTI over either. This GTI is so much fun to drive. It has plenty of room for passengers and/or cargo. It's quick enough (and then some) for every day driving. It has great handling and I absolutely LOVE the styling!!! If I had to select my favorite part about the exterior, I would say the wheels. I just love the appearance and styling of the 18" Detroit Rims. As for the interior, I would choose the steering wheel. It has a very expensive/quality feel/look of leather and stitching. Love how it is accented at the 10"

Who needs an SUV?

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Value for the money, mileage, performance"

Cons: "No steering wheel radio controls, option packages"

"Long been a fan of the GTI, since driving a Mk1 version owned by a friend of mine in high school, but never got around to buying one, until now. I have a 6-speed manual 4-door with no sunroof. For 23k, I can't believe the quality and feature content. Bluetooth, power everything, Sirius radio, 18" rims, turbo motor, metallic paint are all built into that price. It feels at least as well built as the Mercedes C-Class I sold for it. Materials are top notch. Unlike some earlier editions of the GTI, the MkVI is built in Germany. No obvious cost cutting. The car has a powerful and torquey motor that averages 26 MPG. Suspension and steering are tight, making the car a blast to drive. Versatility? Outstanding. The car can carry a ton of cargo and has a very tall liftgate for moving things upright. Rear doors open wide, which would make it easy to load children and pets. Hence the title of my review. Who needs a wallowing land yacht SUV when you can have this for much less money and a much greater fun factor? Overall, outstanding effort by VW. Great car!"

Great car. Fun to drive

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Transmission may give problems later in cars life"

"This car is great. Its a real joy to drive. The pick up is pretty good for a 4 cyl engine and the suspension is very tight so cornering is a joy. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheaper fun to drive car than a bmw."

Very nice and comfy little car

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive and comfortable"

Cons: "Price near 30K"

"I have a 2011 GTI Autobahn DSG 4-door in white. I think this is the best color for this car. I am very impressed with its driving dynamics/performance and comfort (for 4). I say this because I am comming out of a Mercedes Benz S class. What this car is, it's economical, well built, roomy, good acceleration/performance and with that said, a ton of fun to drive (just took it up in the mountains and no one could stay with me)."

Really fun to drive, very quick!

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pros: "Fast, agile, well appointed."

Cons: "None!"

"I bought a Jetta for the gas mileage and was impressed with the quality of the car. I stopped by the dealership for service and saw the GTI on their lot. It was a two door, Autobahn edition with the DSG transmission. On a whim, I took the car out for a test drive. What a blast to drive! It is very fast and has great handling. I am getting about 28MPG, I am really impressed with this car..."

Is this a Porsche?

By on Sunday, October 02, 2011

Pros: "Great value sports car, style, performance, comfort, practicality"

Cons: "There are lots of options we don't get here that are available in Europe"

"Remember when Porsches had VW engines? I have a 2012 GTI Autobahn DSG. Well, this car would sell well with the Porsche name on it and a $10,000 price premium. It could be. This car is just an amazing value. There are many comparisons online with the Audi A3 and the GTI wins them all. The best part is the $7,000 you save on a better car. They are pretty rare too. Used to be that you would see them everywhere, or at least a Golf. Now, I can go all day in the city without seeing one. There were only 2 others configured like mine on the ground in the US when I bought it. People stop and stare at it every time I take it out. Are we turning into a third world country, now that Volkswagens are exotic? Yes, it is fast, fun to drive, and comfortable like all the review say. No need to go on about that. Google GTI review and see what I don't have to say here."

MY Favorite VW I've owned to date!

By on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pros: "Blast to drive, mileage, leather seats"

Cons: "Dynaaudio sound system"

"I have owned several Jetta's over the years, however, when I looked at the 2011 Jetta's what a disappointment. I decided to look at the GTI, test drove it and fell in love. I have the 2011 4DR Candy White Autobahn 6spd GTI. I absolutely LOVE it. The handling, comfort, mileage, style, and feel are amazing. My only slight complaint is the Dynaaudio sound system is subpar considering I spend $31K on this car. They really need to improve that part. Drive it you will get it!"

My Favorite Car

By on Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "speeding tickets!"

"The GTI is the most fun I have ever had sitting behind the wheel of a car. The car is just amazingly balanced - from acceleration to handling, it's just perfect."

Affordable sports car.

By on Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive , interiors ( design and practicality) , Fuel economy."

Cons: "Not too comfortable, audio system could have been better."

"I have a Manual 2 dr GTI. This is my first sporty car and i couldn't have made abetter choice. The engine revs to 6200 rpm and makes a strong and beautiful noise. The interior is the best i've seen in any sub 25k car. My phone connects to the car when i step in . The steering wheel looks and feels very good. I get about 30mpg on average."

Great car!

By on Friday, May 06, 2011

"great all around car, very nice interior quality (espcially with the autobahn package). Loads of technology for the price range (love the cornering xenon headlights). Dynaudio sound system is very nice for the pricerange of the car. This car is very fun to drive and has amazing handling and has a good amount of power as well. The GTI is in its element on twisting country roads where its power and handling really shine through. This car is not designed to make you a "stoplight hero," its main purpose is to deliver a smooth ride with superb handling combined with the practicality of a hatchback. Also it does what ANY good German car does which is to make 90mph feel like 55mph. 6spd manual is incredibly smooth and loads of fun to drive. VW has done an excellant job with the mk6 (my first GTI) however one styling element that NEEDS to be incorporated into the US spec models are the LED tailights (Cherry Reds) available at ECS tuning) which are only found on the Euro spec GTI's (Which made me have to spend $700 to get a part that should be standard on ALL GTI's). As I said though this is a very nice car all around and of course delivers the sought after German car quality and performance for a very low price. If you have not gone German before and this is your first German car I highly recommend it to you due to its superior build and ride quality."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next