2011 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 67 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

2010 GTI w/DSG Automatic

By on Tuesday, July 06, 2010

"After you read my review you are all going to think VW paid me to say this: Nothing could be farther from the truth. I bought my 2010 GTI 2 dr in Candy White w/DSG paddle shifter-equipped Automatic. This car is sleek, stealthy and a head-turner when freshly washed. I make up excuses daily to drive it as frequently as possible. This little hot hatch is truly fun to drive. The turbo is responsive & the shifting is absolutely spot on when using the manual mode. It handles superbly, reminiscent of a souped up go-kart. The exhaust note is just perfect as is the sound eminating from the resonated airbox under the hood. I can't get good gas mileage w/this pocket rocket. It's impossible to drive conservatively in this bundle of german engineering. Fantastic job VW!!!!"

Best value for $$ possibly ever

By on Tuesday, February 01, 2011

"For the $ this car can't be beat. (I am over 40 by the way)The interior looks and feels like an Audi, it's one of the best handling front-wheel drive cars in the world, and it is actually pretty fast (~6.1 0-60 w/DSG). I have always been a standard trans guy, but the DSG is unbelievable. It's nice to let the car shift in traffic, but be able to take control when necessary. This is NOT a Tiptronic transmission, it is a true automated manual, like Formula one cars possess (and Bugatti Veyron, which VW makes). The brakes are fantastic, although eventually I will upgrade to stainless steel lines. I have the 18" wheels with summer tires and they grip magically (I put on 16" alloys w/dunlop winter sports for the winter, drives great in snow, it is a golf, although a bit low for deep snow). The seats and steering wheel are superb. I have the leather sport seats, which some people apparently don't like, but I love them, great for my herniated disc. On top of that, 32 mpg on the highway consistently, 26-ish when beating on it and it can fit 5 people, 4 comfortably. And it is reliable. Plus it doesn't look like a 14 year-old boy on acid made it in art class like its main competitors. It is essentially a front-wheel drive Audi/Porsche for under $30,000. $20,000 if you buy a year-old cert. preowned one as I did. There's more, but you get the idea. I would say drive it if you can."

Great car for the money.

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "Expensive when loaded, Minor interior details"

"First of all never ever buy a dark coloured auto. All the minute scratches will show no matter how well you care for it. Acceleration is good but there is always the slight tip in when the throttle is applied but I attribute that to the turbo lag. Acceleration is very good but a little squirrely since it is a front wheel drive car. Once underway its a comfortable long distance cruiser and I have seen as high as 38mpg because I keep the tires inflated 5 lbs over what the door jamb says. The original equipment Dunlop tires are garbage being very noisy and they detract from the driving experience. I changed them out at 1K miles because I spend a lot of time behind the wheel. The 10K service intervals are too long and dont quote me that the VW engineers know what they are doing. I deal in automotive service and have seen too many problems regarding these extended service intervals in european cars. 5-7K is more appropriate but I truly believe this was done so that VW could offer this service as an added value although the car suffers. The car would benefit from a larger intercooler and perhaps an oil cooler as well if they plan on keeping the 10K service interval. Synthetic oil breaks down at a much slower rate but, with the amount of driving I do which is 12K miles in 3 months is higher than "severe" use. Overall the build quality is very good with consistent gaps between the doors and hood and trunk lid. My only issue is that anytime the car is washed I have to wipe down the door sills since there is no seal there. Its a mild annoyance and hopefully VW addresses it soon. Cargo space is very good compared to other cars that I looked at in its class (volvo C30, Focus SV, Mustang V6 Premium). Depreciation is a bit steep unless you order every single option available as I did (Autobahn DSG) Seats are very comfortable and somewhat snug for larger people but very supportive for spirited driving. What surprises me is the quality of leather used for the interior seating surfaces because it seems subpar to what I have seen in other German cars. The Nav/Sirius/Bluetooth Dynaudio system does not disappoint but at higher levels makes one of the rear door panels rattle. The bluetooth operation works well but the other parties complain about road noise so perhaps a noise cancellation system would be in order. This is not an inexpensive car and I would gladly pay more for it if they can resolve the small niggling detais. I was going to purchase an Audi A3 but the electrical issues that seem to plague that brand brought me to VW which is their parent company. Will I buy another one? Yes. I am also planning on purchasing a second one(TDI or hopefully a GTD) for my wife as she drives great distances as well."

My favorite car ever

By on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"I have 12,000 miles on my 4 door GTI and I can honestly say this is my favorite car I've ever owned. The car is fast (not blazingly fast) but it's strength comes from the handling which is an amazing blend of comfort and excellent corning, design - everything is laid out well and so attractive, and economy as I'm averaging 30 mpg in city driving. My biggest cncern is that I love driving it so much I'll likely rack up tons of miles! My advice is buy one, as the reviews you have likely read in Automobile Magazine, Car and Driver, etc are not wrong!"

One of the Best Car I have ever Driven

By on Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pros: "Great fun to drive!"

Cons: "It doesn't do my laundry nor iron my clothes"

"I have rented almost all kinds of cars (from a day to a weekend)in the past 15 years and I must say that the Volkswagen GTI (I have the 2012 DSG with sunroof) is simply one of the best albeit not the fastest. The handling is superb when tearing up through the mountains. Torque is available at 1500 rpm, all the way to 3500 rpm (wish it's higher but I can't complaint. It has enough torque for every drivers like me). The interior quality is superb and the exterior is built well. For a sporty car, the GTI is pretty smooth, and you can comfortably take it on a long drive. The best thing I like about the GTI is its power is just right - it is there when you need it without being too aggressive. The Mazdaspeed 3 is faster but ride quality suffers and there is significant torque steer.. but it is indeed a beast. I chose the GTI over the Speed3 because of its refinement. The interiro quality of the GTI is equal to the A3 and any car above the $28k price range. This is an extremely refined and balanced car. If you want more HP, just get an APR stage 1 and a cold air intake (which will cost you an additional $900) which would boost the HP up to 255, and torque to 277.. however, there will be noticeable torque steer as it is a FWD. Overall, I love this car, and this is indeed one of the very best cars I have ever driven - not the best.. just one of the best :-)"

Great car!

By on Friday, May 06, 2011

"great all around car, very nice interior quality (espcially with the autobahn package). Loads of technology for the price range (love the cornering xenon headlights). Dynaudio sound system is very nice for the pricerange of the car. This car is very fun to drive and has amazing handling and has a good amount of power as well. The GTI is in its element on twisting country roads where its power and handling really shine through. This car is not designed to make you a "stoplight hero," its main purpose is to deliver a smooth ride with superb handling combined with the practicality of a hatchback. Also it does what ANY good German car does which is to make 90mph feel like 55mph. 6spd manual is incredibly smooth and loads of fun to drive. VW has done an excellant job with the mk6 (my first GTI) however one styling element that NEEDS to be incorporated into the US spec models are the LED tailights (Cherry Reds) available at ECS tuning) which are only found on the Euro spec GTI's (Which made me have to spend $700 to get a part that should be standard on ALL GTI's). As I said though this is a very nice car all around and of course delivers the sought after German car quality and performance for a very low price. If you have not gone German before and this is your first German car I highly recommend it to you due to its superior build and ride quality."

Fantastic Car!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "A blast to drive, great MPG, excellent interior"

Cons: "Smallish nav screen, leaky rear washer nozzle"

"I bought my GTI Autobahn new in 2011 and I've been very pleased with the car. First of all, the interior quality and attention to detail is top-notch. It drives wonderfully, and the smooth power delivery of the 2.0L turbo engine is nothing short of addicting. I opted for the six-speed manual and have not regretted it. The clutch is easy to operate with smooth engagement, and the shifting is precise and has a great feel. On top of the incredible handling and smooth, powerful engine, it is quite economical. I usually see 32-34 mpg on highway trips and about 25 mpg in town, and I have a heavy right foot! Another feature I love is how much space it has for what seems like a small car on the outside. The back seat can comfortably accomodate two average-sized adults, and it can swallow a surprising amount of cargo. Fold the rear seats down, and it is down right cavernous back there. My only real criticisms are that the navigation screen is a bit small (but it DOES allow you to program a destination while the car is in motion), the accessory rubber floor mats did not wear well, and the rear washer nozzle leaks fluid onto the glass occasionally (multiple trips to the dealer have not rectified the problem). My next car will almost certainly be another GTI, but perhaps the 5-door model (easier access to the rear seats)."

at last she's mine 2012 6spd Shadow Blue

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "Fun comfortable solid"

Cons: "It cost money."

"I've had my GTI for about a year and I couldn't be happier. If I baby it I can get 30+ mpg. The only issue I've had is the interior center vent "broke" while someone else was driving her. It's covered under the warranty. I've wanted a GTI since I was a teenager. It's every bit as good as I'd hoped. The build quality is solid and it's so freaking comfortable. The seats fit like a glove, Tons of space, enough for my dogs or bike with seats down. I wish it had 300hp but as it is she purrs and scoots. I love it! My partner has a Nissan Juke SV AWD and I cant think of a single category that it even comes close to matching my VW except reliability and that is to be determined."

Outstanding Value, Quality

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Value, Quality"

Cons: "Premium gas, occasional obscure control logic"

Ownership Day One!

"I was looking for a smaller car with better gas mileage, without giving up the fun and sportiness that I have grown to enjoy in a car. Having owned a 312HP car for a while, I was concerned that the GTI might lack the performance I had become accustomed to. But thankfully I was completely wrong. From the first test drive I fell in love with the spirited performance, tight handling, good feedback in the cabin. The pick up was very instant without hesitation or turbo lag at most speeds. And if you engage the sport mode on the DSG, the car is incredibly responsive and fun. Even the base model (which I purchased) is generously equipped. Great Bluetooth experience, good iPhone hook up, and the fit and finish is unmistakably German and in a good way. There are more flashy hot hatches on the market, faster ones, more economical ones, but you'd have a hard time finding one in this price range that checks all the boxes so well. This car isn't about being the best at one thing (speed, handling, ride, economy etc). It's about providing a wonderful compromise in so many areas that what you are left with is a brilliant all round excellent vehicle. As for the downside, while the fuel economy is good, it requires premium gas, so at least some of that nice fuel efficiency is going to be lost to the more expensive gas. German cars sometimes have a few little quirks in the controls that are not immediately obvious. For example the trip computer does not easily offer up its available options unless one holds the trip computer rocker switch for three seconds. I mean did they really need to design it so I had to Google that answer? Probably not. In conclusion this is a fun yet sensible all around great car. VW have had decades to get the mix right on this vehicle, and that finesse certainly pays off in the driving experience. If someone told me that it was a $35K Audi, I would find it easy to believe. This car represents an excellent value and is certainly worth a drive if you are shopping in this segment. I am so far thrilled with it. So unless it starts to have some major problems later on, I suspect I'll be very pleased."

Ownership Day One!

My favorite GTi

By on Friday, April 15, 2011

"This is definitely the best GTi yet (my 3rd one). Interior quality is still top notch, handling is great and good mpg (getting 32). It may not be the fastest car around but with a few changes I have mine dyno'd at 260hp. Much better now, feels like the old VR6. The upcoming R should get you that stock. Mechanically it has been solid (20k miles)- better than the 2007 I owned. My understanding is the new 2.0 TFsI has a timing chain vs a belt so long term reliability should be promising. This engine wins awards year after year. I've had one electrical issue (dome light) and the armrest broke but quickly addressed by the dealer. Car is quiet(er) than previous models and the new interior is every bit as good as more expensive cars I looked at. Dynaudio sound, bluetooth steering wheel controls are a bonus. Seats are great and hold you well but get a little uncomfortable on long (12hr) drives. Then again maybe i am getting older. Save the $$ and get a GTI. Best car you can buy under $25k."

Complete package

By on Friday, March 18, 2011

"Every garage should have a gti ! Mine is a two door base model with the 6speed manual and I love it. Yes, the dsg is faster ( and more expensive ) but the manual is much much much more enjoyable and trouble free. For someone who is looking at buying a civic (si) or something similar , just stretch and go for the vw gti . You won't regret it. Fit and finish and build quality is beyond description. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it ! ( p.s. Try and get the amazing xenon light package they have. Well worth the extra money )"

BEST value of its price range

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Value, Handling, Refinement, Total Package, FUN"

Cons: "FWD, Clutch is not lasting"

Typical Florida Afternoon

"The interior is amazing, and with little maintenance can be kept to amazing quality. 6000 miles so far with little deterioration. It's truly a beautiful car. Mine is Candy White 2-door, and I just stop and stare whenever I see her. Looks even better and aggressive with the Euro Plate (mine says "DAS TURBO".) The handling of this car is amazing. I live part year in the country-side of Maryland and this thing has very high limits. I own and drive a 2006 Mustang GT and 2008 Acura RDX, and this hot hatch kills them overall. The GT accelerates faster but the GTI is much funner. So nimble, it goes where you want it, it's well planted to the ground. The acceleration is quick, it doesn't take long before you realize you're already exceeding the speed limit. The stick-shift on this car is incredibly fun and rewarding, everyday I am excited to drive it. The overall package is so amazing, refined, engineered, and best off, if you're looking for more, it's easily available. Just a few reasons it won Car and Driver's top 10 cars in every year of its MK6 production."

My video

Typical Florida Afternoon

0-60

Who needs an SUV?

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Value for the money, mileage, performance"

Cons: "No steering wheel radio controls, option packages"

"Long been a fan of the GTI, since driving a Mk1 version owned by a friend of mine in high school, but never got around to buying one, until now. I have a 6-speed manual 4-door with no sunroof. For 23k, I can't believe the quality and feature content. Bluetooth, power everything, Sirius radio, 18" rims, turbo motor, metallic paint are all built into that price. It feels at least as well built as the Mercedes C-Class I sold for it. Materials are top notch. Unlike some earlier editions of the GTI, the MkVI is built in Germany. No obvious cost cutting. The car has a powerful and torquey motor that averages 26 MPG. Suspension and steering are tight, making the car a blast to drive. Versatility? Outstanding. The car can carry a ton of cargo and has a very tall liftgate for moving things upright. Rear doors open wide, which would make it easy to load children and pets. Hence the title of my review. Who needs a wallowing land yacht SUV when you can have this for much less money and a much greater fun factor? Overall, outstanding effort by VW. Great car!"

Better than Honda Civic SI

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Hard to give a reliability number since I've only had this car for 8 months, but paint chips very easily. Performance is excellent, ride is good, mileage is good (about 28-29) if you stay off the boost. Car is relatively quite yet has good exhaust note. Cargo area with seats up is small and travel with two golfers would be impossible unless at least seat is down. With seats up I still have to remove my driver to fit my medium size golf carry bag. Fit and finish is high quality for this price, audio is good."

Excellent Car

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, well built, practical"

Cons: "Sluggish when driven on auto (Drive) mode"

"I purchased my VW GTI new in 2012, initially with some apprehension, since it was my first VW. The car is now about 18 months old and so far, it runs very well. Fun to drive, well built and relatively comfortable. One of the features I like most, is the DSG transmission which combines the good performances of a manual transmission with the ease of use of an automatic. Probably the best car I ever owned. Highly recommended to those seeking an affordable sporty car which is not too punishing, well built and practical."

Pretty awesome

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "Value driving anc commuting pleasure, practical"

"For roads in my area it is as much car as you can put on the road sanely and still have fun. I came from a much higher horsepower rear wheel drive car and dont miss it. I could never get out of second gear without risking lives and freedom. The gti is a near perfect driving machine. I have to deduct points for front wheel drive and the weight bias that causes, It is just a perfectly balanced "i live in the real world" car. just drove on a 2000 mile round trip journey. Comfortable the whole way; averaged 38mpg on the highway and it carried all my stuff perfectly. Dont know where the epa gets its ratings... I cant get it to run below about 28mpg if im out hitting the curvy roads like a hooligan all day."

Most fun car ever!

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, luxurious"

Cons: "Brother that is 6'4" has some room issues"

"You can't ask for a car that mixes business with pleasure better! It has great fuel economy and great performance. It looks great - very sharp lines. The interior is luxurious and roomy. The hatchback offers versatility for hauling things around and is great for dogs. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants to have a fun, practical car that also has the finishes of a luxury brand."

Great fun car!

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive. great quality of build."

Cons: "Expensive for a small car. lots of computer bugs."

"I love this car but i will say be prepared to be in the shop often with any Volkswagen. when i purchased the car i had nothing but problems with it stalling. after going back and forth with the dealer they finally figured out it was a software update. after that i have had no problems. It was frustrating that they had the car more then i did though!"

Great to drive

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, DSG transmission, Styling"

Cons: "Needs a longer 1st gear. ESP a little aggressive"

"I've had this car for 2 years now and Handles better than any Car I've ever owned. I would buy another (I may upgrade to the Audi A3 (which is the same car) in a few years when my Payments are done, just because I like the Audi Styling a little better. I average about 28 mpg city/hwy driving and on 100 mile trips I do during work I typically get 37mpg if I can say off the gas and keep it around 64 mph. The DSG twin-clutch transmission is wonderful, shifts blisteringly fast. My only complaint with the DSG is if you use the Sport Mode Automatic it will typically hold 1st gear about half a second too long, but a manual shift corrects that."

Awesome in almost every way

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Performance, build-quality, handling, fun to drive"

Cons: "Awkward manual climate control"

"I wanted a smaller, more fuel-efficient car that is fun to drive and a hatchback. I drove them all. Hands-down, this is the best. There are others more powerful, and some less money, but the GTI provides the best combination of positive features, and without a doubt is the most refined, in terms of build quality, quality of materials, and engine performance. The only options I would add the next time are built-in nav and fully automatic climate control."

Very nice and comfy little car

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive and comfortable"

Cons: "Price near 30K"

"I have a 2011 GTI Autobahn DSG 4-door in white. I think this is the best color for this car. I am very impressed with its driving dynamics/performance and comfort (for 4). I say this because I am comming out of a Mercedes Benz S class. What this car is, it's economical, well built, roomy, good acceleration/performance and with that said, a ton of fun to drive (just took it up in the mountains and no one could stay with me)."

Best GTI Ever

By on Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"I have owned many VWs, GTIs, a TDI, and a regular golf. This 2010 GTI is by far the best VW I have ever owned. The car is very quick around town for doing 'Stoplight Grand Prix' which is great for urban driving. The car handles great for being front wheel drive (less than optimal for handling), its quiet at crusing speeds, and is frugal with gas when I keep my foot out of it.. Oh, and the DSG transmission is absolutely AMAZING!! I have always prefered 3 pedal cars, true manuals, but with this DSG, I am a convert. Can be driven like an Automatic (which it is NOT), or can be controlled manually and shifts are lightning fast with an awesome rev-matched burble. It NEVER gets old. The leather seats hold you in tight during corners. The Dynaudio Stereo is good, not great, but is good enough that I don't need to upgrade."

The GTI....

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "interior, style, solid build, fun, fun to upgrade"

Cons: "factory perf rating"

"These are great cars, fun to drive and build quality is excellent. Sure the WRX and EVO may have better performance ratings, but the interior quality on those cars are sub-par. Besides, there's a quick fix to that performance 'issue'. While from the factory, the GTI has enough pep and zing to make you smile, but take a quick trip to your nearest APR store, pay $600 for a CPU upgrade and boooooom.....you can now watch the WRX in your rear view."

Like a "tank"

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "really fun to drive, easy to park, great on gas,"

Cons: "Interior center console somewhat useless"

"I know it is a compact but once you drive one you will understand. This car feels more solid than my SRT8 Challenger at speed (90+mph) on the interstate it does not get pushed around. Mine gets a average of 29mph driving the car somewhat spirited. I kick myself for not buying one eaarlier in life."

Great First Car!

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Fuel efficient, good value for money, sporty"

Cons: "Rattle in trunk"

"This is my first car ever. It is probably one of the best cars under 30k on the market. It has great performance but it does not sacrifice fuel efficiency. Had a problem with the trunk not latching and had to get the spring replaced. But all around great car."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next