2010 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 64 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Great First Car!

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Fuel efficient, good value for money, sporty"

Cons: "Rattle in trunk"

"This is my first car ever. It is probably one of the best cars under 30k on the market. It has great performance but it does not sacrifice fuel efficiency. Had a problem with the trunk not latching and had to get the spring replaced. But all around great car."

Pretty awesome

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "Value driving anc commuting pleasure, practical"

"For roads in my area it is as much car as you can put on the road sanely and still have fun. I came from a much higher horsepower rear wheel drive car and dont miss it. I could never get out of second gear without risking lives and freedom. The gti is a near perfect driving machine. I have to deduct points for front wheel drive and the weight bias that causes, It is just a perfectly balanced "i live in the real world" car. just drove on a 2000 mile round trip journey. Comfortable the whole way; averaged 38mpg on the highway and it carried all my stuff perfectly. Dont know where the epa gets its ratings... I cant get it to run below about 28mpg if im out hitting the curvy roads like a hooligan all day."

Most fun car ever!

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, luxurious"

Cons: "Brother that is 6'4" has some room issues"

"You can't ask for a car that mixes business with pleasure better! It has great fuel economy and great performance. It looks great - very sharp lines. The interior is luxurious and roomy. The hatchback offers versatility for hauling things around and is great for dogs. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants to have a fun, practical car that also has the finishes of a luxury brand."

Fantastic Car!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "A blast to drive, great MPG, excellent interior"

Cons: "Smallish nav screen, leaky rear washer nozzle"

"I bought my GTI Autobahn new in 2011 and I've been very pleased with the car. First of all, the interior quality and attention to detail is top-notch. It drives wonderfully, and the smooth power delivery of the 2.0L turbo engine is nothing short of addicting. I opted for the six-speed manual and have not regretted it. The clutch is easy to operate with smooth engagement, and the shifting is precise and has a great feel. On top of the incredible handling and smooth, powerful engine, it is quite economical. I usually see 32-34 mpg on highway trips and about 25 mpg in town, and I have a heavy right foot! Another feature I love is how much space it has for what seems like a small car on the outside. The back seat can comfortably accomodate two average-sized adults, and it can swallow a surprising amount of cargo. Fold the rear seats down, and it is down right cavernous back there. My only real criticisms are that the navigation screen is a bit small (but it DOES allow you to program a destination while the car is in motion), the accessory rubber floor mats did not wear well, and the rear washer nozzle leaks fluid onto the glass occasionally (multiple trips to the dealer have not rectified the problem). My next car will almost certainly be another GTI, but perhaps the 5-door model (easier access to the rear seats)."

Unreliable and full of hassles

By on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Pros: "It looks great when parked!"

Cons: "Unreliable, outdated technology, inconvenient,"

"In the first few months the radiator leaked twice and a pump failed. VW only loaned me a car once, and that was after a lot of unnecessary nonsense. That alone should steer the reader away from VW. Also, the stereo is supposed to be Bluetooth, but the control panel will not fast forward songs, select songs or select folders using my smartphone which is a Galaxy III. So if you want to function your phone, you still need to drive with your knee and operate the phone, which is so backwards compared to hands-free system of the Focus ST and other 2012s. Basically the "fancy German engineered" head unit is no better than just plugging an audio cable directly into your phones headphone output. The Bluetooth is also a pain to reconnect every time I start the car. It uses a little button on the turn signal behind the steering wheel to function the limited phone options, such as dialing. And entering the numbers takes so long you might as well just wait until you arrive at your friend's house and skip the call altogether. There is no text option. The key locks are a joke, usually only one door unlocks and VW won't change it even though I know they could. The gas cap will be locked but when you unlock it the car honks at you and locks you out while you are pumping gas. Sometimes I think it's locked when it's not. You never know. The power for my GPS turns off when the car is off, so if you stop for gas, or a drink, then restart the car you have to wait until the GPS turns on, hit OK, then reprogram your destination. The USB port is nice, but cost $40 to convert if you don't use Apple (which I don't), unfortunately you cannot change the USB while driving because of it's location so you might have to just listen to what you have plugged in already. And remember you can't choose what song is playing on your phone. The Audio input is in the drink holder so you have to choose either a drink or audio device. So overall it is very frustrating and inconvenient for commuting. If you are a grandma and need something for going to the store and aren't going to put alot of miles on this then it's ok, I guess. But if you want something more fun and reliable to commute in, I would look at the Focus ST. Check out the Recarro Seats."

Lots of fun

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Pros: "Good looking, compact, sticks corners well, fun"

Cons: "iffy breaks, mpg is questionable, want more HP."

"My 2005 benz C230 Kommperssor (lol) was flooded during Sandy and the GTI really impressed me with the speed and agility. I drive in nyc, and the stock rims on the GTI are 18"...really hurts when you hit a bump. Regardless, the wheels on this car are beautiful and they came with all season Pirelli's!(I also purchased the wheel and tire insurance) The breaks don't instill a lot of confidence, seems like they lag a bit. It's not high on amenities but still very cool cockpit feel to it. Also, I've had the car for only two wks and on my day to day drive I'm not getting more than 18mpg. Overall, I am happy with my purchase."

Great car for the money.

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "Expensive when loaded, Minor interior details"

"First of all never ever buy a dark coloured auto. All the minute scratches will show no matter how well you care for it. Acceleration is good but there is always the slight tip in when the throttle is applied but I attribute that to the turbo lag. Acceleration is very good but a little squirrely since it is a front wheel drive car. Once underway its a comfortable long distance cruiser and I have seen as high as 38mpg because I keep the tires inflated 5 lbs over what the door jamb says. The original equipment Dunlop tires are garbage being very noisy and they detract from the driving experience. I changed them out at 1K miles because I spend a lot of time behind the wheel. The 10K service intervals are too long and dont quote me that the VW engineers know what they are doing. I deal in automotive service and have seen too many problems regarding these extended service intervals in european cars. 5-7K is more appropriate but I truly believe this was done so that VW could offer this service as an added value although the car suffers. The car would benefit from a larger intercooler and perhaps an oil cooler as well if they plan on keeping the 10K service interval. Synthetic oil breaks down at a much slower rate but, with the amount of driving I do which is 12K miles in 3 months is higher than "severe" use. Overall the build quality is very good with consistent gaps between the doors and hood and trunk lid. My only issue is that anytime the car is washed I have to wipe down the door sills since there is no seal there. Its a mild annoyance and hopefully VW addresses it soon. Cargo space is very good compared to other cars that I looked at in its class (volvo C30, Focus SV, Mustang V6 Premium). Depreciation is a bit steep unless you order every single option available as I did (Autobahn DSG) Seats are very comfortable and somewhat snug for larger people but very supportive for spirited driving. What surprises me is the quality of leather used for the interior seating surfaces because it seems subpar to what I have seen in other German cars. The Nav/Sirius/Bluetooth Dynaudio system does not disappoint but at higher levels makes one of the rear door panels rattle. The bluetooth operation works well but the other parties complain about road noise so perhaps a noise cancellation system would be in order. This is not an inexpensive car and I would gladly pay more for it if they can resolve the small niggling detais. I was going to purchase an Audi A3 but the electrical issues that seem to plague that brand brought me to VW which is their parent company. Will I buy another one? Yes. I am also planning on purchasing a second one(TDI or hopefully a GTD) for my wife as she drives great distances as well."

at last she's mine 2012 6spd Shadow Blue

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "Fun comfortable solid"

Cons: "It cost money."

"I've had my GTI for about a year and I couldn't be happier. If I baby it I can get 30+ mpg. The only issue I've had is the interior center vent "broke" while someone else was driving her. It's covered under the warranty. I've wanted a GTI since I was a teenager. It's every bit as good as I'd hoped. The build quality is solid and it's so freaking comfortable. The seats fit like a glove, Tons of space, enough for my dogs or bike with seats down. I wish it had 300hp but as it is she purrs and scoots. I love it! My partner has a Nissan Juke SV AWD and I cant think of a single category that it even comes close to matching my VW except reliability and that is to be determined."

24 hours in...

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Pros: "FUN!!!"

Cons: "Plaid?"

"I've had this car for all of 24 hrs, and am looking for excuses to drive it. 2012 4dr 6-spd man w/ Conv + sunroof, bought used - only 50 of those 6450 miles are mine. So happy with my decision -- I find myself smiling every time I shift...or accelerate...or round a curve. Love it. Did not rate reliability, because I have no basis yet to do so."

Great car!!! lots of service issues.

By on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pros: "good gas mileage as a daily driver, fun on weekend"

Cons: "repair problems and cost"

"Avg about 29 mpg. fun to drive. Many service issues, but the overall ownership experience has been has very good. The car is expensive to repair. Car is as tight at 130000 miles as when new."

See if you qualify for