2010 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 66 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Over 35 or have back problems, DON'T buy!

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "maybe fun to drive, but not worth back issues."

Cons: "extremely small and tough gettin in and out of."

"I purchased this car along with another VW. This car has bucket seats and about a month after purchasing I began to have back issues. This car is so uncomfortable it's not funny, and after trying time after time to resolve this issue with VW, I have to trade it in."

Not a reliable car

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior, good option selections available."

Cons: "Completely unreliable."

"I've owned this car now for two years. Starting around 30,000 miles, it began having problems with misfires and fuel consumption. Now over three separate visits, it's been in the shop for move than three weeks total (1 bad timing chain, 1 bad fuel injector, and not sure what today's fun will be). Fuel consumption on the car went from around 30MPG on average to 23MPG following the second round of maintenance. Worst part is that the misfire issue robs engine power, and usually happens just as you're merging/accelerating in traffic, with dangerous results."

Lots of fun

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Pros: "Good looking, compact, sticks corners well, fun"

Cons: "iffy breaks, mpg is questionable, want more HP."

"My 2005 benz C230 Kommperssor (lol) was flooded during Sandy and the GTI really impressed me with the speed and agility. I drive in nyc, and the stock rims on the GTI are 18"...really hurts when you hit a bump. Regardless, the wheels on this car are beautiful and they came with all season Pirelli's!(I also purchased the wheel and tire insurance) The breaks don't instill a lot of confidence, seems like they lag a bit. It's not high on amenities but still very cool cockpit feel to it. Also, I've had the car for only two wks and on my day to day drive I'm not getting more than 18mpg. Overall, I am happy with my purchase."

Unreliable and full of hassles

By on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Pros: "It looks great when parked!"

Cons: "Unreliable, outdated technology, inconvenient,"

"In the first few months the radiator leaked twice and a pump failed. VW only loaned me a car once, and that was after a lot of unnecessary nonsense. That alone should steer the reader away from VW. Also, the stereo is supposed to be Bluetooth, but the control panel will not fast forward songs, select songs or select folders using my smartphone which is a Galaxy III. So if you want to function your phone, you still need to drive with your knee and operate the phone, which is so backwards compared to hands-free system of the Focus ST and other 2012s. Basically the "fancy German engineered" head unit is no better than just plugging an audio cable directly into your phones headphone output. The Bluetooth is also a pain to reconnect every time I start the car. It uses a little button on the turn signal behind the steering wheel to function the limited phone options, such as dialing. And entering the numbers takes so long you might as well just wait until you arrive at your friend's house and skip the call altogether. There is no text option. The key locks are a joke, usually only one door unlocks and VW won't change it even though I know they could. The gas cap will be locked but when you unlock it the car honks at you and locks you out while you are pumping gas. Sometimes I think it's locked when it's not. You never know. The power for my GPS turns off when the car is off, so if you stop for gas, or a drink, then restart the car you have to wait until the GPS turns on, hit OK, then reprogram your destination. The USB port is nice, but cost $40 to convert if you don't use Apple (which I don't), unfortunately you cannot change the USB while driving because of it's location so you might have to just listen to what you have plugged in already. And remember you can't choose what song is playing on your phone. The Audio input is in the drink holder so you have to choose either a drink or audio device. So overall it is very frustrating and inconvenient for commuting. If you are a grandma and need something for going to the store and aren't going to put alot of miles on this then it's ok, I guess. But if you want something more fun and reliable to commute in, I would look at the Focus ST. Check out the Recarro Seats."

GTI

By on Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Seats are way too hard. Performance is very poor my 2011 golf tdi feels faster than it. way over priced definitely would not recommend to a friend!"