2010 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 65 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Nothing better for less than twice the price

By on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Pros: "Build quality, acceleration and handling, comfort."

Cons: "Gas mileage, smallish trunk."

"VW's GTI offers outstanding build quality, excellent comfort and convenience, along with a reasonable modicum of space for a realtively small car. The performance is terrific -- a GTI always seems to want to go quickly, and has excellent grip and braking performance; it's a Border collie masquerading as an automobile. Yet the inherent exuberance of the car also has a certain, German, buttoned-down, well-thought-out quality. The car responds to inputs quickly and assertively, yet never seems to lose its composure. What would I change? Not much, actually. Maybe leather interior, although I'm very fond of the traditional plaid seats; and the fuel mileage is nothing special -- only about 30 mpg in highway cruising, and just over 20 in typical suburban driving. For fun, quality, reliability, and overall enjoyment, I can't think of any car I'd recommend over it for less than $50K. Every driveway should have at least one GTI."

Over 35 or have back problems, DON'T buy!

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "maybe fun to drive, but not worth back issues."

Cons: "extremely small and tough gettin in and out of."

"I purchased this car along with another VW. This car has bucket seats and about a month after purchasing I began to have back issues. This car is so uncomfortable it's not funny, and after trying time after time to resolve this issue with VW, I have to trade it in."

Not a reliable car

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior, good option selections available."

Cons: "Completely unreliable."

"I've owned this car now for two years. Starting around 30,000 miles, it began having problems with misfires and fuel consumption. Now over three separate visits, it's been in the shop for move than three weeks total (1 bad timing chain, 1 bad fuel injector, and not sure what today's fun will be). Fuel consumption on the car went from around 30MPG on average to 23MPG following the second round of maintenance. Worst part is that the misfire issue robs engine power, and usually happens just as you're merging/accelerating in traffic, with dangerous results."

great car fast fun and great on gas

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "fun fun and fun"

Cons: "Not sexy looking."

"Well made car from Germany. Fast ,fun to drive ,easy around town or fast on the twisties.Zero to sixty in 6.5 seconds."

wouldn't buy another vw

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "beautiful interior quality parts fun to drive"

Cons: "unreliable"

"my car and i have a love/hate relationship. i love the interior and with the ecu upgrade it gives it lots of usable power. I've owned the car for just over a year though and its been back to the dealerships for countless reasons. at about 20k the water pump needed to be replaced and about 5000 miles later there was a problem with the alarm not shutting(still don't know why). at 40k a 40k service (plugs coils replaced oil change and filters) was done at 52000 miles the car broke down twice due to a carbon build up in the intake block due to faulty plugs and coils($1200 later) car still misfired and i ended up replacing the coils with upgraded r8 coil packs. i drive many miles everyday for work so it being comfortable and fun to drive is a plus but sitting in service all the time isn't worth it. i will not be buying another volkswagon. oh and its for sale=) great car you buy nowww"

From Japanese to German, what a difference!

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Handling, horsepower, comfort, fuel economy"

Cons: "Parts and service can be expensive"

"I had a Toyota Matrix, based on the world-famous Corolla. Very reliable but a soul-less cheap basic car that was lacking in so many ways. Funny thing, though, I had no idea how aweful the Toyota was until I drove a GTI. Perhaps aweful is not fair. The Matrix is a good car. But the VW is so much more. And you pay for it. My used GTI cost twice that of my used Matrix. And worth every penny. What a joy to drive. Quiet, refined, really quick. Everything is high quality and you can see and feel the design effort that went into it. Easily the best car I have ever owned."

A great little car. Rides and drives nice.

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Fun yet practical"

Cons: "Snow builds up in the Detroit style wheels"

"Fun and practical. Drives like a sports car, has room for all daily functions."

The GTI....

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "interior, style, solid build, fun, fun to upgrade"

Cons: "factory perf rating"

"These are great cars, fun to drive and build quality is excellent. Sure the WRX and EVO may have better performance ratings, but the interior quality on those cars are sub-par. Besides, there's a quick fix to that performance 'issue'. While from the factory, the GTI has enough pep and zing to make you smile, but take a quick trip to your nearest APR store, pay $600 for a CPU upgrade and boooooom.....you can now watch the WRX in your rear view."

I love this car!

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "So much fun to drive, excellent build quality"

Cons: "Maintenance is a little more expensive"

"I've owned my CPO 2010 GTI for close to a year now, and I would have to say that this is the best car I have ever owned. The body styling is attractive and there isn't a week that goes by that I don't get a compliment from someone who has a nice comment for the car's looks. The United Gray Metallic paint looks great and even in the winter months where things get pretty cruddy, it still looks good. The interior, hands down, is the absolute best you can get in this price class. It's basically a poor-man's Audi. The quality of the materials are fantastic, with very few hard surfaces. Specifically to the GTI, the cloth seats with the plaid design is eye-catching without being gaudy, and I've had more than one person mention how cool they look. Switchgear is smooth and supple, with no harsh clicks or cheapness of feel. Power and performance is excellent. The TSI turbo 2.0 liter motor in this car puts out 200HP stock, and has plenty of aftermarket mods available to take that north of 300HP, should you feel so inclined. That said, the stock motor is powerful enough to put a smile on your face should you have the urge to want to put your right foot through the floor. There's some turbo lag at lower RPMs, but that is a side effect of most motors equipped with a turbo. Although I have not done so (yet), information is out there that with a chip tune (about a $600-700 investment) you can gain a significant amount of power while almost negating any turbo lag. Fuel economy is pretty good too. I do a lot of highway driving, and my average fuel economy is about 30-31 MPG. I could probably do better, but this is a performance car, and there are times where I like to drive it like I stole it, which makes those number suffer to an extent. A premium fuel requirement makes fill-ups a little more expensive, but if you're going to quibble over a couple extra bucks to fill your tank, maybe this isn't the car for you. Steering feel is acceptable, but could use a bit more road feel feedback. This is due to the car using an electric steering system, as opposed to the hydraulic system used on most other cars. I've read that this has improved with the soon-to-come-to-the-States Mark VII GTI. That being said, this car handles like it's on rails. Cloverleaf intersection coming up? This car will take that 270 degree turn at 50 MPH, no worries. Braking is also acceptable, grabbing briskly when needed. The car will come to a stop very quickly, but the brakes are prone to fade fairly quickly if you're using them for an extended period of time. I suspect that this is due to the OEM pads installed on the car, and that acceptable gains in performance would be realized if one were to install ceramic pads once the OEM ones are worn down. I've seen a lot of people say that the overall build quality of VW cars is marginal, with a lot of rattles and loose parts, but frankly I have not had that experience with my car. It feels like a solid, quality car. Overall, I would say that I am very happy that I purchased this car, and because of this, I will be considering the 2015 GDI (the turbo-diesel performance model of the Golf) once it hits our shores."

Like a "tank"

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "really fun to drive, easy to park, great on gas,"

Cons: "Interior center console somewhat useless"

"I know it is a compact but once you drive one you will understand. This car feels more solid than my SRT8 Challenger at speed (90+mph) on the interstate it does not get pushed around. Mine gets a average of 29mph driving the car somewhat spirited. I kick myself for not buying one eaarlier in life."

Excellent Car

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, well built, practical"

Cons: "Sluggish when driven on auto (Drive) mode"

"I purchased my VW GTI new in 2012, initially with some apprehension, since it was my first VW. The car is now about 18 months old and so far, it runs very well. Fun to drive, well built and relatively comfortable. One of the features I like most, is the DSG transmission which combines the good performances of a manual transmission with the ease of use of an automatic. Probably the best car I ever owned. Highly recommended to those seeking an affordable sporty car which is not too punishing, well built and practical."

Great First Car!

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Fuel efficient, good value for money, sporty"

Cons: "Rattle in trunk"

"This is my first car ever. It is probably one of the best cars under 30k on the market. It has great performance but it does not sacrifice fuel efficiency. Had a problem with the trunk not latching and had to get the spring replaced. But all around great car."

Pretty awesome

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "Value driving anc commuting pleasure, practical"

"For roads in my area it is as much car as you can put on the road sanely and still have fun. I came from a much higher horsepower rear wheel drive car and dont miss it. I could never get out of second gear without risking lives and freedom. The gti is a near perfect driving machine. I have to deduct points for front wheel drive and the weight bias that causes, It is just a perfectly balanced "i live in the real world" car. just drove on a 2000 mile round trip journey. Comfortable the whole way; averaged 38mpg on the highway and it carried all my stuff perfectly. Dont know where the epa gets its ratings... I cant get it to run below about 28mpg if im out hitting the curvy roads like a hooligan all day."

Most fun car ever!

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, luxurious"

Cons: "Brother that is 6'4" has some room issues"

"You can't ask for a car that mixes business with pleasure better! It has great fuel economy and great performance. It looks great - very sharp lines. The interior is luxurious and roomy. The hatchback offers versatility for hauling things around and is great for dogs. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants to have a fun, practical car that also has the finishes of a luxury brand."

Fantastic Car!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "A blast to drive, great MPG, excellent interior"

Cons: "Smallish nav screen, leaky rear washer nozzle"

"I bought my GTI Autobahn new in 2011 and I've been very pleased with the car. First of all, the interior quality and attention to detail is top-notch. It drives wonderfully, and the smooth power delivery of the 2.0L turbo engine is nothing short of addicting. I opted for the six-speed manual and have not regretted it. The clutch is easy to operate with smooth engagement, and the shifting is precise and has a great feel. On top of the incredible handling and smooth, powerful engine, it is quite economical. I usually see 32-34 mpg on highway trips and about 25 mpg in town, and I have a heavy right foot! Another feature I love is how much space it has for what seems like a small car on the outside. The back seat can comfortably accomodate two average-sized adults, and it can swallow a surprising amount of cargo. Fold the rear seats down, and it is down right cavernous back there. My only real criticisms are that the navigation screen is a bit small (but it DOES allow you to program a destination while the car is in motion), the accessory rubber floor mats did not wear well, and the rear washer nozzle leaks fluid onto the glass occasionally (multiple trips to the dealer have not rectified the problem). My next car will almost certainly be another GTI, but perhaps the 5-door model (easier access to the rear seats)."

Unreliable and full of hassles

By on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Pros: "It looks great when parked!"

Cons: "Unreliable, outdated technology, inconvenient,"

"In the first few months the radiator leaked twice and a pump failed. VW only loaned me a car once, and that was after a lot of unnecessary nonsense. That alone should steer the reader away from VW. Also, the stereo is supposed to be Bluetooth, but the control panel will not fast forward songs, select songs or select folders using my smartphone which is a Galaxy III. So if you want to function your phone, you still need to drive with your knee and operate the phone, which is so backwards compared to hands-free system of the Focus ST and other 2012s. Basically the "fancy German engineered" head unit is no better than just plugging an audio cable directly into your phones headphone output. The Bluetooth is also a pain to reconnect every time I start the car. It uses a little button on the turn signal behind the steering wheel to function the limited phone options, such as dialing. And entering the numbers takes so long you might as well just wait until you arrive at your friend's house and skip the call altogether. There is no text option. The key locks are a joke, usually only one door unlocks and VW won't change it even though I know they could. The gas cap will be locked but when you unlock it the car honks at you and locks you out while you are pumping gas. Sometimes I think it's locked when it's not. You never know. The power for my GPS turns off when the car is off, so if you stop for gas, or a drink, then restart the car you have to wait until the GPS turns on, hit OK, then reprogram your destination. The USB port is nice, but cost $40 to convert if you don't use Apple (which I don't), unfortunately you cannot change the USB while driving because of it's location so you might have to just listen to what you have plugged in already. And remember you can't choose what song is playing on your phone. The Audio input is in the drink holder so you have to choose either a drink or audio device. So overall it is very frustrating and inconvenient for commuting. If you are a grandma and need something for going to the store and aren't going to put alot of miles on this then it's ok, I guess. But if you want something more fun and reliable to commute in, I would look at the Focus ST. Check out the Recarro Seats."

Lots of fun

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Pros: "Good looking, compact, sticks corners well, fun"

Cons: "iffy breaks, mpg is questionable, want more HP."

"My 2005 benz C230 Kommperssor (lol) was flooded during Sandy and the GTI really impressed me with the speed and agility. I drive in nyc, and the stock rims on the GTI are 18"...really hurts when you hit a bump. Regardless, the wheels on this car are beautiful and they came with all season Pirelli's!(I also purchased the wheel and tire insurance) The breaks don't instill a lot of confidence, seems like they lag a bit. It's not high on amenities but still very cool cockpit feel to it. Also, I've had the car for only two wks and on my day to day drive I'm not getting more than 18mpg. Overall, I am happy with my purchase."

Great car for the money.

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "Expensive when loaded, Minor interior details"

"First of all never ever buy a dark coloured auto. All the minute scratches will show no matter how well you care for it. Acceleration is good but there is always the slight tip in when the throttle is applied but I attribute that to the turbo lag. Acceleration is very good but a little squirrely since it is a front wheel drive car. Once underway its a comfortable long distance cruiser and I have seen as high as 38mpg because I keep the tires inflated 5 lbs over what the door jamb says. The original equipment Dunlop tires are garbage being very noisy and they detract from the driving experience. I changed them out at 1K miles because I spend a lot of time behind the wheel. The 10K service intervals are too long and dont quote me that the VW engineers know what they are doing. I deal in automotive service and have seen too many problems regarding these extended service intervals in european cars. 5-7K is more appropriate but I truly believe this was done so that VW could offer this service as an added value although the car suffers. The car would benefit from a larger intercooler and perhaps an oil cooler as well if they plan on keeping the 10K service interval. Synthetic oil breaks down at a much slower rate but, with the amount of driving I do which is 12K miles in 3 months is higher than "severe" use. Overall the build quality is very good with consistent gaps between the doors and hood and trunk lid. My only issue is that anytime the car is washed I have to wipe down the door sills since there is no seal there. Its a mild annoyance and hopefully VW addresses it soon. Cargo space is very good compared to other cars that I looked at in its class (volvo C30, Focus SV, Mustang V6 Premium). Depreciation is a bit steep unless you order every single option available as I did (Autobahn DSG) Seats are very comfortable and somewhat snug for larger people but very supportive for spirited driving. What surprises me is the quality of leather used for the interior seating surfaces because it seems subpar to what I have seen in other German cars. The Nav/Sirius/Bluetooth Dynaudio system does not disappoint but at higher levels makes one of the rear door panels rattle. The bluetooth operation works well but the other parties complain about road noise so perhaps a noise cancellation system would be in order. This is not an inexpensive car and I would gladly pay more for it if they can resolve the small niggling detais. I was going to purchase an Audi A3 but the electrical issues that seem to plague that brand brought me to VW which is their parent company. Will I buy another one? Yes. I am also planning on purchasing a second one(TDI or hopefully a GTD) for my wife as she drives great distances as well."

at last she's mine 2012 6spd Shadow Blue

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "Fun comfortable solid"

Cons: "It cost money."

"I've had my GTI for about a year and I couldn't be happier. If I baby it I can get 30+ mpg. The only issue I've had is the interior center vent "broke" while someone else was driving her. It's covered under the warranty. I've wanted a GTI since I was a teenager. It's every bit as good as I'd hoped. The build quality is solid and it's so freaking comfortable. The seats fit like a glove, Tons of space, enough for my dogs or bike with seats down. I wish it had 300hp but as it is she purrs and scoots. I love it! My partner has a Nissan Juke SV AWD and I cant think of a single category that it even comes close to matching my VW except reliability and that is to be determined."

24 hours in...

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Pros: "FUN!!!"

Cons: "Plaid?"

"I've had this car for all of 24 hrs, and am looking for excuses to drive it. 2012 4dr 6-spd man w/ Conv + sunroof, bought used - only 50 of those 6450 miles are mine. So happy with my decision -- I find myself smiling every time I shift...or accelerate...or round a curve. Love it. Did not rate reliability, because I have no basis yet to do so."

Great car!!! lots of service issues.

By on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pros: "good gas mileage as a daily driver, fun on weekend"

Cons: "repair problems and cost"

"Avg about 29 mpg. fun to drive. Many service issues, but the overall ownership experience has been has very good. The car is expensive to repair. Car is as tight at 130000 miles as when new."

Great fun car!

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive. great quality of build."

Cons: "Expensive for a small car. lots of computer bugs."

"I love this car but i will say be prepared to be in the shop often with any Volkswagen. when i purchased the car i had nothing but problems with it stalling. after going back and forth with the dealer they finally figured out it was a software update. after that i have had no problems. It was frustrating that they had the car more then i did though!"

One of the Best Car I have ever Driven

By on Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pros: "Great fun to drive!"

Cons: "It doesn't do my laundry nor iron my clothes"

"I have rented almost all kinds of cars (from a day to a weekend)in the past 15 years and I must say that the Volkswagen GTI (I have the 2012 DSG with sunroof) is simply one of the best albeit not the fastest. The handling is superb when tearing up through the mountains. Torque is available at 1500 rpm, all the way to 3500 rpm (wish it's higher but I can't complaint. It has enough torque for every drivers like me). The interior quality is superb and the exterior is built well. For a sporty car, the GTI is pretty smooth, and you can comfortably take it on a long drive. The best thing I like about the GTI is its power is just right - it is there when you need it without being too aggressive. The Mazdaspeed 3 is faster but ride quality suffers and there is significant torque steer.. but it is indeed a beast. I chose the GTI over the Speed3 because of its refinement. The interiro quality of the GTI is equal to the A3 and any car above the $28k price range. This is an extremely refined and balanced car. If you want more HP, just get an APR stage 1 and a cold air intake (which will cost you an additional $900) which would boost the HP up to 255, and torque to 277.. however, there will be noticeable torque steer as it is a FWD. Overall, I love this car, and this is indeed one of the very best cars I have ever driven - not the best.. just one of the best :-)"

My dream car for under 35k

By on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Fun, Fun, Safe and ergonomic."

Cons: "None."

"I look forward to my morning drive just to get behind the wheel of my GTI. I love the sound of the turbo. With 207 lbs of torque passing on the freeway is fun and easy. The reviews on YouTube and online are accurate. The GTI is a well balanced machine. Go test drive a GTI and you will buy one."

Great value but has some quality issues

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

"Have owned the car for about two years now. Only has 12K miles on it, but the dash warning lights are all lit up like a XMAS tree. Tire warning (broke) and Air Bag lights have been on since about 2K miles. Brought it in for the TPMS issue three times and never found resolution. I understand a fix has been found, but I have not had time to bring it back in for the fix. This is my 6th VW product in the last 10 years and problems like this seem to be the norm. The fit and finish and driving experience make up for the little issues experienced."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next