2009 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 196 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

The Secrets Out

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"I bought my '07 6spd 4dr GTI as a Bank repo with 53,000 miles 8 months ago, and there was some negligence by the previous owner. However this is the best VW i have owned, period. It has a roomy interior, a sweet stereo, and the best steering wheel size/shape that makes driving it very comfortable. The car is quick in any scenario and responds well in the curves. The feel is solid and the engine sounds tight and precise. For oil changes buy Mobile 1 synthetic oil in 5 gallon quart at Walmart for only $26 bucks and do it yourself or provide to shop for better deal. You must use synthetic as this extends the life of the turbo since the oil also lubes the turbo by way of design. APR is the ECU chip upgrade of choice and VW AG subcontracts them to do upgrade concept cars, so you know it's a safe and reasonably affordable hp return that you can turn on and off when needed. I drive moderately aggresive in town and lots on the highway as well (40,000 miles a year) and so far I average 28 mpg (don't go by the on board comp averages). If you live in a hot summer climate, you will experience turbo lag, but it is not as noticeable as the 1.8t engine in models prior. This GTI gives the A4 a run for it's money, I only wish the car had the Audi Quattro All Wheel system, but it still does well. This car lives up to it's title, "Automobile of the Year" and I will drive it until it explodes!"

Bang 4 the Buck!

By on Monday, January 4, 2010

"I've had 4 GTI's since 2000. Two VR-6 six cylinder models and two 2.0 Turbo models. I currently drive a 2009 GTI. I had problems with the 2000 model as it was built in Brazil (so was the 2003). However, VW fixed all issues under warranty. The 2007 and my current 2009 have been and are trouble free. They get great gas mileage and are a blast to drive. I'm single with no kids and the hatchback is all the utility I need for most jobs. I just finished a 2700 mile trip from Texas to Arizona and back to Texas with no problems whatsoever. My cumulative gas mileage was: 29.1. And I drive it hard in west Texas close to 100 mph. The only negative is depreciation. The car looses value rapidly in the first two years. And even VW doesn't give much of a trade allowance for them as used cars. So, don't pay MSRP or you will not be happy. Otherwise, drive 'em like you stole 'em; they are fun to drive!"

09 GTI rocks

By on Friday, March 6, 2009

"I am writing for the 09 gti, manual trasnmission. The car is amazing, it handles better than higher end cars, it pulls like a beast on the freeway as long as I'm in the right gear. The engine purs, and it is just plain funny to see some honda civic SI go by making about 3 times more noise doing speeds around 60-70 mph. I do plan on adding a chip to this vehicle, to get the extra 50 hp. I've pushed this car stock up to 120 mph a couple of times and it was smooth sailing both times. With a manual you can down shift, and with the sporty brakes, i can stop on a dime. Even if I do feel like gunning it every now and then, I still average around 30+ mpg, from short destinations to long ones. It has a built in ipod connector, with a 6 disc mp3 cd player. Anyone who complains about the sounds system because it doesn't get loud enough needs to research something called an amp...You have to pay to get the systems that bumb, and this system is more than capable of it with some woofers and an amp installed. Otherwise the sounds system is great and won't blow out your ear drums. On a final note, I took this thing up to big bear the other weekend up some mountain roads, and I'd say the drive up was almost as fun as snowboarding :)."

So Far So Great!

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"I've had my GTI through summer and winter here in Cincinnati. It hugs corners like it's on rails. In the winter, the snow gives me few worries. The traction control works like a dream and I pass everyone that's stuck off the side of the road. Gas mileage is great. I can get in the high 30's when I drive sensibly. That makes me not feel so guilty when I open it up and take it on some windy back roads. The curves are where the GTI shows its true colors! It's great fun AND it's practical! I have two kids and the 4-door GTI is great."

Nice, Real nice, too bad you can't get it service.

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"Great car, only 2 problems, first is the stereo, when you turn it up to the max volume, the volume actually goes down, and second is the fact that it can only be serviced except for oil changes, by a VW dealer, thats sad since I live an hour or more away from them. Gotta get the timing belt chagned by 60,000 miles or it breaks, and the Catalatic Converter acts up about that time too."

Decent car

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Seats are not that great. But the handling, Performance and styling, somewhat make up for it. At first I felt a little cheated, because Honda and Toyota may offer more car for as much or less money, but now after 3 months I can see why this one is priced a bit higher. Lot of fun to drive, and you really experience the German engineering at much lesser price tag compared to BMW, Benz or an Audi. However, still too early to say how reliable it will be."

Track car fun

By on Monday, April 28, 2008

"This car is the most fun vehicle I have driven. I am an avid VW fan and have owned many older performance based models. I have also owned BMWs and performance wise this one is tops. The ride can be a bit responsive as far as comfort goes, but if every road was a track this thing would be in it's element all the time. Very tunable vehicle with a strong market for performance parts. My only complaint is that the CD changer does not read MP3 format."

Fun, Fun, Fun

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"I am old muscle car guy and never to much into little rockets, but this car is fun. I am stationed in Germany and let me tell you this thing is a rocket on the autobahn. I make BMW and Audi's get over. Handles great at any speed! Good on gas when you are not flying. Even when you do it is not that bad. Very reliable. What can I say... German engineering."

performance car for everyday driving

By on Thursday, February 21, 2008

"micro car with macro space:) very reliable, very stylish in & out side everybody is imprest. even when driving 80mph car still have a great gas mileage.perfect if you live in the city.this car bmw performance & audi comfort ( talking about fully loaded). very,very recomended vehicle!!!!"

Great Fun

By on Monday, November 5, 2007

"Though it is a bit expensive to tune and upgrade, $500+ minimum for anything, it really shows in performance on the street. Great response and top speed, car is really worth the money. I've been driving the car for 15 months and have over 51k miles on it, never went to the mechanic for repairs unless I wanted some tweeking done to increase performance. All previous cars owned could not withstand the mileage,speed,red lining, roasting, cornering and quality driving I've put on this hatchback in the time. 51,000 in 15 months, good luck"

Ultimate joy ride for under $25K

By on Saturday, October 27, 2007

"This car is great! I am still very happy with it after 7 months. Strong, linear power from the 2.0t. Sharp handling, firm (but comfortable) suspension. Strong brakes. Excellent seats. Decent mpg (~24 combined). Effortless acceleration. Stereo is great, but not awesome (Sirius quality less than CD quality). Only minor issues so far are some faint interior rattles and the brakes can squeek during the first stop after getting wet. Solidly built. Xenon headlights are awesome. Low RPM torque makes city driving great without having to thrash the engine or shift much. Rowing through the excellent 6 speed is a blast. I would buy this car again and again. Unless I could finally afford the new BMW 335..."

Great deal!

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"I got a left over new GTI w/DSG, 18" wheels, and package 1 for a little over $20K. It stickered for $25,800. I only have 1500 miles on it so far but I am enjoying it immensely. The DSG transmission is amazing and should change the future of "automatics". I try to explain to people that it is really not a traditional automatic but they have drive it to understand. The satellite radio needed repaired when I first bought the car but has been fine since."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Monday, September 9, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, reliable, no problems."

Cons: "Instruments hard to see in daylight."

"Great handling, excellent reliability, comfortable, good seats, good looks. Hatchback design meets all my needs for hauling things. Projector headlights are excellent."

Solid little car that knows how to run! And fast!!

By on Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pros: "Quick quick quick, DSG transmission, blue gauges"

Cons: "Manual seats, plastic paddle shifters"

Front hood view with an OSIR front chin spoiler

"My second GTI and fourth VW is getting an extended stay in my garage--with a lease buyout. After 3 years of driving my MK5 2009 GTI 2-door, I love it so much that I've decided to purchase the vehicle. Initially I planned on getting the car equipped with a 6-speed stick. I figured that was a no-brainer. I was so wrong! I fell in love with the DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) 6-speed automatic at first sight. The GTI handles like a VW and is just fun to drive. Period. I would change one thing however: replacing the stock manual seats with automatic ones."

Front hood view with an OSIR front chin spoiler

The best car I have owned

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "makes some interior noise (lowered)"

"I have had 8 cars in a very short time. I am only 22 years old and have own 2 chevy HHR's and an HHR SS, a chevy 1/2 ton, a VW GLI and many more this is by far my favorite car out of the bunch!!!! I have never had any problems maintenance wise, very excellent fuel economy and just an overall joy to drive on a daily basis. The only down fall right now would be the front wheel drive in the snow but it actually does a great job of getting traction with its small wheel base. If you are looking to buy I recommend this car!!!!!!"

I love this car

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "Great drive, great power, super reliable"

Cons: "Maintenance costs"

"I've owned my 2007 GTI for over 4 years now and still love it. it has been the most reliable car I have ever had the chance to drive. The car is a 6 speed with package 1. I added bluetooth when it was available in order to maximize the convienence of the car, as it was about the only thing it was missing. Ride was a little harsh, but it has always been very sporty feeling. As such, I understood the way it feels. I highly reccomend this type of car for anyone from the new driver to the seasoned veteran."

Practical and fun to drive, Reliability suffers.

By on Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive; practical, quality interior"

Cons: "Some reliability issues; avoid the automatic trans"

"To make a long story short, this car (2008 VW GTI 4-door) is an absolute ball to drive. Excellent mix of sport and comfort along with a good handling suspension and quality,roomy interior in a good looking, practical package. However, avoid the DSG automatic transmission and get a manual transmission. The DSG transmission has a history of reliability and performance problems. Cam follower issues can be expensive to fix. Some electrical glitches in electric windows, door locks and stereo. (common to VW's). Don't let these issues dissuade you from buying one, just make sure all recall and TSB work has been done, and try to get a decent warranty. With quality all-season tires, it handles well on snow and ice."

This is a car that if you don't get, you'll regret

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "fun, good looking, fast, vibrant, efficient"

Cons: "expensive to maintain, hear road noise in cabin"

"I still own this car. I got all the maintenance done properly by my local volkswagen vendor. I honestly never had a problem with the engine or tranny. I have the DSG equipped one and it shifts super fast and flawlessly you won't even feel it, but you will hear a "burp" it makes because of the left over pressure, no this is not a bad thing. Fast and fun, yet reliable and gas efficient. What more do you need. Bean has 110,000 miles on the clock and still pushing. I did get a airbag fault code but it got covered by warranty, but other than that never did anything major to it. I hear horror stories of other GTIs but i guess I own a lucky one (knock on wood) haha. This is a car that feels and rides better that other new different models. Very well built. Trustworthy, and just plain awesome."

So close to perfection...but still great.

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Best performance/practical value going"

Cons: "Needs very aggressive snow tires-would love AWD."

"The mkV VW GTI is, without question, one of the all time greatest values for car enthusiasts. From the seating position to the dynamic handling this car provides feel and feedback at the level of cars twice it's price. Prior to owning the GTI, I have had two Audi S4's (UR-S4 and Bi Turbo) and neither one could hold a candle to the GTI's sense of confidence. Nor could the Audi's compete on a reliability standpoint. I have NEVER been in a front wheel drive car with this much poise and the ability to pivot through the turn. The two liter turbo is a wonderful motor but as with any front driver there is just too much power to really appreciate what it can do. My car's ECU was flashed (chipped) so the torque numbers were great but really problamatic in rain or snow. In the mountains, studded snow tires are a must to get up anything even remotely steep. All in all, I paid around $23.5k with a 100,000 mile warranty and have only had to do the brakes, change the oil, and fix the ecm's for the door locks. I just wish that I could have the new R32, stripped down at a similar price....."

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

Pros: "Sporty and fun to drive."

Cons: "Handling in snow is not the best.(Recommend a set of snow tires for winter)"

"This car is sporty and a blast to drive. As a daily commuter, it's been so reliable. I will be keeping this car for many more years to come."

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fast and Fun

By on Sunday, January 10, 2010

"I have owned my GTI since it came off the lot brand new in 2006. I considered many cars before I bought this one but after driving it I was hooked! I suggest a GTI to all my friends who want to buy something that is great on gas and a blast to drive. If you are in the market for a "hot hatch" I would drive this first."

Bang for the Buck

By on Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"This is the best car this money ($26k) can buy! The dual-clutch transmission and the 2.0t engine make this hatchback a thrill of a ride. German-engineered Electronic Stabilization Control allows the car to "grip" the road in sharp curves, while the tight-fitting sports seats keep the driver and passenger in place. Furthermore, the options available on this car are of great quality, such as the premium sound system, in-dash computer, and the sportshift mode(with the stick-shift design gear shifter). I bought my 2008 GTI in late December of 2007. It came equipped with the Autobahn package. The quality of the leather seats is minimal; it looks more plastic than anything else. The car feels a bit shaky when going over bumps and potholes (there are a lot of potholes where I live). As much as I love this car, I have to say that I'm a bit surprised by the mechanical quality of it--or lack thereof. I've had to have my engine replaced at 19k miles. The transmission feels a bit jerky at times, something that Volkswagen realized when they decided to extend the transmission warranty to 10 years/100,000 miles. All in all, the engineering aspect of this machine is superb. Where it falls behind, however, is the manufacturing/assembly step of the production, in my opinion. When I sit down in it, though, nothing else matters other than the thrilling ride and the turbo boost."

MY little VDUB

By on Friday, July 10, 2009

"This is my forth GTi and this model has to be rated as the best of ALL previous models. i bought this one second hand (12 months old at the time) and I had an issue with it loosing power under heavy acceleration. in the end it turned out to be a camshaft issue (after three visits to my VW garage).. After this was fixed it's been trouble free... i'd say the interior plastic isn't as good as previous models but the styling has defiantly improved. in the winter it needs winter tires which was a surprise seeing it's FWD."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"This car is great in all aspects. It's fast, handles great, good on gas, seats five adults, great stereo, built very solid. I have 75,000 miles on my car without a rattle. I have replaced the rear brake pads and tires and that's it."