2009 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 190 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

Just Awesome

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "Driving, driving, driving. And it looks cool."

Cons: "Expensivish service. Cups its tires."

"Everything works right. And, the driving is the best you'll ever get for $25,000. Why doesn't everyone buy these? Every drive is fun. Every shift is exciting. (Reminder: RPM's are your friend!) Trade in your Japanese snoozemobile now. You'll never buy another one."

Among turbocharged cars, best value for the $

By on Monday, February 06, 2012

Pros: "exterior looks, upgrade-bility, fun to drive"

Cons: "interior could be better (improved in 2010 )"

"when i bought it in 09, it came down to the GTI or Civic Si. While HP was rated the same for both cars at 200, GTI had more torque, and since there was virtually no price difference i went with the GTI. Looking back I am really glad i did. While both of these cars are probably equally reliable, i found that VWs have unmatched support network of LICENSED aftermarket performance shops, allowing VW owners to gradually upgrade their car (stages 1-3). Near my factory warranty expiration i let APR guys perform a stage 1 upgrade (basically just the engine software upgrade) which increased HP on the stock engine from 200 to 250 and torque from 205 to 350 lbs/ft. On a stock engine! Love love love my GTI."

Solid little car that knows how to run! And fast!!

By on Thursday, February 02, 2012

Pros: "Quick quick quick, DSG transmission, blue gauges"

Cons: "Manual seats, plastic paddle shifters"

Front hood view with an OSIR front chin spoiler

"My second GTI and fourth VW is getting an extended stay in my garage--with a lease buyout. After 3 years of driving my MK5 2009 GTI 2-door, I love it so much that I've decided to purchase the vehicle. Initially I planned on getting the car equipped with a 6-speed stick. I figured that was a no-brainer. I was so wrong! I fell in love with the DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) 6-speed automatic at first sight. The GTI handles like a VW and is just fun to drive. Period. I would change one thing however: replacing the stock manual seats with automatic ones."

Front hood view with an OSIR front chin spoiler

Awsome Car

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive .*GAS*"

Cons: "Some things are a bit fragile *my fault*"

"Whats not to like about it great on gas, cool apperance, excellent smooth ride.Gets lots of heads turning.Turbo takes a while to kick in but it makes up for it .The cost for oil..ect bla bla bla is not to bad Overall great car *two thumbs up*"

The best car I have owned

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "makes some interior noise (lowered)"

"I have had 8 cars in a very short time. I am only 22 years old and have own 2 chevy HHR's and an HHR SS, a chevy 1/2 ton, a VW GLI and many more this is by far my favorite car out of the bunch!!!! I have never had any problems maintenance wise, very excellent fuel economy and just an overall joy to drive on a daily basis. The only down fall right now would be the front wheel drive in the snow but it actually does a great job of getting traction with its small wheel base. If you are looking to buy I recommend this car!!!!!!"

Fun Little Car, Loads of Power, Loads of Space

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Great Gas Mileage, Loads of Space"

Cons: "Stock sound system ok, defrost insufficient"

"This car is an absolute blast to drive. We have not added any aftermarket parts to the car, all 2009 stock parts. Lots of pickup and torque, the GTI is great for cruising the interstate or rambling around town. On the interstate, the car averages 30 MPG even with my lead foot. Taking it a little easier, it can get up to 35 MPG. Day to day I cruise around town, about 5-10 miles per go, and average around 22 MPG for those trips. The GTI is not short on space with the hatchback design and fold-down rear seats, I can pack all my music equipment including my guitar, amps, stands, etc, with no problem. Load all that down plus 2 passengers in the front, and the car still has plenty of power to get down the interstate. Loaded up with 5 adults, the GTI loses a little "umph" but not enough to slow me down. My back seat passengers were surprised at the space, even with 3 adults piled in. The backseat is not the easiest to get in and out of, and the release handle on the front seats are a little confusing. If you let go of the handle a tad, the seat locks in place. I find the rear access troublesome, but we rarely have people in the backseat. Would not recommend this for anyone with infant car seats, especially rear facing. A booster seat would be easy enough to access, though. Love the 6 speed manual transmission, adds a little more shifting fun to the drive. We have had relatively few problems and have certainly put the car to the test. Everything from 1000 mile road trips to day-to-day errands. We have had one minor repair which occurred under warranty. My only complaint for the vehicle is the defrost is not sufficient. The defrost takes a long time to heat up and seems to do a poor job at defrost. In the summer on a muggy day (in Ohio), the windows are cloudy, and in the winter it takes 10 minutes just for the defrost to warm up. Small potatoes, though, compared to the other enjoyable features of the car. I would recommend since this is a fun-car, to pay the $200 or so extra for the premium sound system. The stock system is ok, but not great, and I would love to have my music sounding fantastic since I'm already having so much fun driving this car."

Sporty fun car to drive.

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Ease of modding 2.0L turbo eng, affordable fun."

Cons: "Painted int parts scratch easy, engine cover!!"

"Good little car to drop some money into and have a little hot rod that's REALLY fun to drive. APRs stg 1 ECU flash is about $599 and unlocks about 45hp immediately. The fit and finish is good, with the exception that the Germans continue to paint the interior door handles and other parts of inside of there cars with cheesey paint that easily damaged or scratched. Saw this on my 330Ci BMW. Overall, it's pretty nicely equipped and comfortable.(even heated seats which my BMW did not!) I bought this vehicle for the engine and it's ease of modding it into an affordable little fast go-kart. It still won't stay with my 330Ci in high speed curves, but my GTI with APR stg2 , dropped with H"

nice car for the value

By on Sunday, January 01, 2012

Pros: "great handling and breaking"

Cons: "turbo too small"

"Nice care great handling and breaking that you see in most German cars, it would be nice if the turbo was larger. Turbo kicks in at 1,500 RPM but check out at 5,000 RPM. Red line is 6,500 RPM making you short shift."

I love this car

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "Great drive, great power, super reliable"

Cons: "Maintenance costs"

"I've owned my 2007 GTI for over 4 years now and still love it. it has been the most reliable car I have ever had the chance to drive. The car is a 6 speed with package 1. I added bluetooth when it was available in order to maximize the convienence of the car, as it was about the only thing it was missing. Ride was a little harsh, but it has always been very sporty feeling. As such, I understood the way it feels. I highly reccomend this type of car for anyone from the new driver to the seasoned veteran."

VW/German engineering on this GTI is top notch!!!

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "Everything about it."

Cons: "Can't think of one thing!"

"Just fantastic fun driving this car. Looks awesome on the outside also looks and feels high class in the inside. Drove six hours from central coast California to Las Vegas, NV and drive only felt like a 3 hour drive. Great power, handling is very good, feels like a german tank, "Solid in other words" and best of all fuel economy. Fills up with only 12 gallons and it gave me 400 miles from one full tank, and yes its a 2.0 Turbo 4 cylinder, 4door and it was loaded with 4 passengers plus luggage. Performance was just outstanding! I highly recommend this car"