2009 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 188 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

nice car for the value

By on Sunday, January 01, 2012

Pros: "great handling and breaking"

Cons: "turbo too small"

"Nice care great handling and breaking that you see in most German cars, it would be nice if the turbo was larger. Turbo kicks in at 1,500 RPM but check out at 5,000 RPM. Red line is 6,500 RPM making you short shift."

I love this car

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "Great drive, great power, super reliable"

Cons: "Maintenance costs"

"I've owned my 2007 GTI for over 4 years now and still love it. it has been the most reliable car I have ever had the chance to drive. The car is a 6 speed with package 1. I added bluetooth when it was available in order to maximize the convienence of the car, as it was about the only thing it was missing. Ride was a little harsh, but it has always been very sporty feeling. As such, I understood the way it feels. I highly reccomend this type of car for anyone from the new driver to the seasoned veteran."

VW/German engineering on this GTI is top notch!!!

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "Everything about it."

Cons: "Can't think of one thing!"

"Just fantastic fun driving this car. Looks awesome on the outside also looks and feels high class in the inside. Drove six hours from central coast California to Las Vegas, NV and drive only felt like a 3 hour drive. Great power, handling is very good, feels like a german tank, "Solid in other words" and best of all fuel economy. Fills up with only 12 gallons and it gave me 400 miles from one full tank, and yes its a 2.0 Turbo 4 cylinder, 4door and it was loaded with 4 passengers plus luggage. Performance was just outstanding! I highly recommend this car"

Practical and fun to drive, Reliability suffers.

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive; practical, quality interior"

Cons: "Some reliability issues; avoid the automatic trans"

"To make a long story short, this car (2008 VW GTI 4-door) is an absolute ball to drive. Excellent mix of sport and comfort along with a good handling suspension and quality,roomy interior in a good looking, practical package. However, avoid the DSG automatic transmission and get a manual transmission. The DSG transmission has a history of reliability and performance problems. Cam follower issues can be expensive to fix. Some electrical glitches in electric windows, door locks and stereo. (common to VW's). Don't let these issues dissuade you from buying one, just make sure all recall and TSB work has been done, and try to get a decent warranty. With quality all-season tires, it handles well on snow and ice."

Great car, but low reliability

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"things small and big, some on the extended warranty we paid for, some not on the warranty, break with a disappointing regularity."

Fantastic Car

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "Great handling, great seats, great utility"

Cons: "Knobs are showing some wear"

"I bought the 2 door 6MT 2006 GTI Package II new. The car has been FANTASTIC!!! I don't recall any out of pocket repairs. Had an air bag sensor replaced under warranty and the coils replaced under warranty after the 4 years at about 80K miles. Car gets about 30 MPG hwy and 22 city. It's very fast and the handling is excellent. The ride is comfortable but sporty. My wife and son fall asleep on our long road trips. The Hatch back allows for a lot of cargo... Just a great all around car and I would highly reccomend this car. It's as nice as any MB or BMW in terms of interior fit and finish. Paint still looks fantastic!"

I LOVE my car

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Zippy, responsive engine and wonderful handling"

Cons: "Suspension is a bit tight making bumpy roads rough"

"Out of all the smaller cars I've driven, I love this the most. I love the sporty feel I get driving down the road. Granted, the suspension could be a little smoother when it comes to bumps on the highway, but I'm ok at where it's at. The turning radius and how easy it is to parallel park this car make it great for everything from weekend drives, to a daily driver, to getting groceries. Yes, the hatchback can hold a ton, even with the seats still up."

Most fun driving stock car ever driven

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Price, Fun Factor, Practicality"

Cons: "Seats"

"This car from test drive throughout purchase and 66k miles remains to be the single most FUN stock car I have ever driven. It begs to be driven aggressively. It just seems to want to be pushed and pushed. On the track it has no apparent flaws short of the annoying TC system."

This is a car that if you don't get, you'll regret

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "fun, good looking, fast, vibrant, efficient"

Cons: "expensive to maintain, hear road noise in cabin"

"I still own this car. I got all the maintenance done properly by my local volkswagen vendor. I honestly never had a problem with the engine or tranny. I have the DSG equipped one and it shifts super fast and flawlessly you won't even feel it, but you will hear a "burp" it makes because of the left over pressure, no this is not a bad thing. Fast and fun, yet reliable and gas efficient. What more do you need. Bean has 110,000 miles on the clock and still pushing. I did get a airbag fault code but it got covered by warranty, but other than that never did anything major to it. I hear horror stories of other GTIs but i guess I own a lucky one (knock on wood) haha. This is a car that feels and rides better that other new different models. Very well built. Trustworthy, and just plain awesome."

So close to perfection...but still great.

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Best performance/practical value going"

Cons: "Needs very aggressive snow tires-would love AWD."

"The mkV VW GTI is, without question, one of the all time greatest values for car enthusiasts. From the seating position to the dynamic handling this car provides feel and feedback at the level of cars twice it's price. Prior to owning the GTI, I have had two Audi S4's (UR-S4 and Bi Turbo) and neither one could hold a candle to the GTI's sense of confidence. Nor could the Audi's compete on a reliability standpoint. I have NEVER been in a front wheel drive car with this much poise and the ability to pivot through the turn. The two liter turbo is a wonderful motor but as with any front driver there is just too much power to really appreciate what it can do. My car's ECU was flashed (chipped) so the torque numbers were great but really problamatic in rain or snow. In the mountains, studded snow tires are a must to get up anything even remotely steep. All in all, I paid around $23.5k with a 100,000 mile warranty and have only had to do the brakes, change the oil, and fix the ecm's for the door locks. I just wish that I could have the new R32, stripped down at a similar price....."

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

Pros: "Sporty and fun to drive."

Cons: "Handling in snow is not the best.(Recommend a set of snow tires for winter)"

"This car is sporty and a blast to drive. As a daily commuter, it's been so reliable. I will be keeping this car for many more years to come."

LOVE IT!!!

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Very fun to drive, well balanced, good sounds system, comfortable interior."

Cons: "Rougher ride than most, reliability, not the best idea for younger drivers."

Red Dwarf

"I absolutely love this car!! The way it handles, accelerates, the engine sounds (for a four cylinder), the all leather seats and the six disc CD player that will play MP3 CD's. The overall ride and feel is just amazing, perfectly balanced car. But I have had quite a bit of trouble with mine probably due to my drive style which is quite aggressive. I have had the turbo cutoff valve replaced two times and had a new turbo installed sense I got it, thankfully it was under warranty at the time. And other than a little bit of a rough ride due to the sport tuned suspension its just a really fun car to drive and gets good gas mileage for its weight and power output. Just be sure and not fall down on maintenance she needs tinder loving care to stay running well and really what car doesn't need that."

Red Dwarf

Fun car to drive if not a little problematic

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

"I bought my GTI as a year old, 100 miles on the ODO, showroom model. At 25,000 miles, it required a new engine, as the ceramic cylinder walls had burned up and luckily it was under warranty. It would have been 14K out of my pocket if not. Other than that and the fact it does us a lot of oil (local dealership gave me a pamphlet that stated it is normal to "use" a quart of oil every 1200 miles) it is a very fun car to drive. Handles like a roller coaster, even with cheap all season tires."

By on Wednesday, May 18, 2011

By on Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"I used audi tt and bmw m3 previously. This car is amazing and fun to drive. I have not had any problems so far. Its pretty quick and efficient for city driving. I wish interior quality is a bit nicer like audi a3 but I guess in the 2010 body they closed the gap. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a reliable, fast and economic car under 25K."

Just a great car

By on Saturday, April 23, 2011

"The GTI is such a fun car to drive. I love the styling, and it is so nice to drive a car that is competent enough to get you through just about any traffic situation. Passing? I wouldn't try it other cars...this one...I do it just for fun. Really smooth engine, great looks and very efficient as well. The car gets noticed in traffic and I just love it."

By on Monday, February 28, 2011

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Solid, German ride.

By on Tuesday, February 08, 2011

"I have a 2008 2.0T FSI Engine DSG Transmission. This car is a dream to drive, absolutely stunningly smooth shifting with the DSG, nice engine purr. The interior ergonomics are smart and the interior is just in a class of its own compared to its competition. Although not the fastest of its rivals it wins trophy after trophy and competition after competition from Automotive magazines. The stereo is good for stock but have heard that it starts to "buzz" after heavy use. Cant validate this as I replaced the whole stereo within a week of buying the vehicle. Getting ready to trade my 2008 in for a 2011. The only issue that the car ever had was a torn CV boot which was spotted early and replaced to no detriment to the car. If you want my opinion, buy this car."

Best Vehicle I Have Owned

By on Sunday, January 23, 2011

"This a great car for a comfortable driving experience. The GTI has a great stance, and is sure footed on the road. The quality of the exterior paint is excellent, and the gray cloth interior with the plaid inserts is very stylish plus comfortable. 2.0 engine is very quite with great performance and quick. My fuel economy has an average of 30 to 32 mpg with the 6 speed. Very happy with the GTI, and the resale value hold up well. Love my GTI :-)"

50,000 and still love it!

By on Thursday, January 06, 2011

"I just rolled 50,000 in my 2008 GTI. I've only visited the dealer once outside of regular maintenance visits. This was to repair a piece of door trim that was vibrating from the bass pumped out by the sound system. If I have one complaint it is with the TSI engine that gobbles up oil. This causes no problems outside of needing to keep oil on hand to top it off every 1,000 miles or so. Great car! Great ride!"

By on Monday, January 03, 2011

By on Friday, December 03, 2010

Better than my BMW

By on Saturday, November 27, 2010

"I love this car I also own a BMW convertible that I drive only on sunny days but I still would rather drive my GTI."

Best ever

By on Monday, October 18, 2010

"I have had American vehicles, but the German vehicle is the best. In 2 years I have had only normal maintenance. Steering, suspension and pep is great. I can not find anything wrong."

See if you qualify for