2009 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 193 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

Awesome 2008 GTI!!!

By on Friday, March 13, 2009

"I researched and drove almost every vehicle that in this cars class and even some considered to be in higher classes (I now question some of these higher classed cars). This car has all the of the quality you expect from a German car but with half of the price tag. Does great in the North East Ohio snow, comfortable enough and had enough room in it to take a 2500 mile trip with wife, 2 kids, and luggage. Handles like it is glued to the road. The feeling you get from the torque in this car is exhilarating to say the least. I am a Sales Engineer and live in my car (already have 24,000 on it after 1 year), and I have never been so comfortable and had so much fun at the same time. I have had this car to 129mph just under the cut off several times and it handled like a dream and still had power left. I have owned 43 cars in my lifetime and this GTI is by far the best car I have ever owned. I frequently travel on the West VA. turnpike through the mountains and have had many try (BMW's, Audi's, TransAm's, Mini's, and a Mazda 3 Speed) but the GTI left them in the dust. The ONLY complaint I have about the car is the bluetooth set up or lack there of from the factory. I added an aftermarket Parrot kit that works great through the stereo but I had to dis-assemble the dash to do it. Other than that I can not say enough positive about it. This will not be my last GTI."

Very well thought out car

By on Friday, January 11, 2008

"Take your pick from performance driving to highway cruising to in town driving the GTI does it all then begs you for more. I average 32mpg on the highway and 26 in the city. THe car is fast comfortable and loaded with amazing german engineering. No one ever mentions the self leveling HID headlights that illuminate the entire road and never blind oncoming drivers. The standard features are plentifull and the option list well thought out. Give it a look it deserves that much. The entire VW line up is well thought out."

5 years and still in love

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

Pros: "Power, handling, looks"

Cons: "seats, noise"

"Motor Trend's "2008 Car Of The Year". Most fun you can have on 4 (or less) wheels. Unbeleivable control. Not lightning fast but have it pointed in the direction you want before gassing it. I no longer have stoplights. They are now go! lights. Very firm ride with the stiff suspension and low profile/38# pressure tires. Seats are a bit uncomfortable and a little road noise. Small annoyances easily ignored with the power and handling. Pulls strong and feels stable at speeds of 100+. Love the style and look. Still get compliments from strangers even after 5 years. Would definately buy another when this one wears out in another decade."

LOVE THIS CAR

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, super fast, great reliability"

Cons: "gas mileage is not what you'd expect"

"I'VE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE NEW. HAD SOME MINOR ISSUES IN TEH BEGINNING THAT THE DEALER FIXED UNDER WARRANTY AND ONE BIGGER ISSUE WITH THE FUEL SYSTEM AT 90K MILES THAT AGAIN THE DEALER FIXED UNDER A SERVICE BULLETIN. FOR A CAR WITH 111000 MILES, I HAVE NEVER REPLACED THE FRONT BRAKES, ONLY REPLACED THE REAR BRAKES ONCE AND I DO DRIVE IT PRETTY HARD. I just had all brakes checked at last tire rotation and I am still in great shape with them. I do regular service intervals now myself or with a independent mechanic I have found. I will likely keep it for at least another two to three years"

Ho-Hum...

By on Thursday, May 22, 2008

"I had two GTIs in Europe before moving to the US (back in the 80s, the old 8 valve, 1781 cc motor) - had a lot of fun with them. Had a WRX before this car - great car, but heavy on gas. I wanted to get better consumption, so bought the Mk V GTI with DSG and the Autobahn package. It has many great points - sweet, powerful engine, better consumption, nice comfortable interior, lots of refinement and style...BUT (you knew there had to be a "but") the traction is AWFUL - the slightest amount of water/snow on the road, or even a moderately brisk takeoff, and the front wheels are spinning like aero propellors. Two things happen - you tend to put the power down very C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y, and the front tires wear quickly, even for a front drive car. It really spoils what would otherwise be a great car."

best GTI since the MK1

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"only one word to explain this car once you get into it, " WOW!!!! ". i've owned my GTI since April of 07' and I truly enjoy this car and all the miles that I have put on it ( 13500 to be exact ). the aggressive styling, 18 inch rims, & ya gotta have the sunroof in the California sunshine, are just the right perks that give the GTI some its character. I'm so glad that VW went back to the roots of the car for the mark v platform because it really lets the driver enjoy the aspect of buying a car in the first place; driving. the accessories are easy to operate & dont disturb the drivers concentration from the road, ride is great especially up hills and windy roads, the seats look great as well as perform while your winding up the road by keeping you in them, and I gotta tell ya I get looks from mark iv GTI's, especially when they see that mine is the 4-door model. it really is sporty even having the 2 extra doors. storage room is perfect for my needs and I'm pretty active with sports. It carries all the equipment I need and then some. but the power plant of this car is impressive with the 2.0 liter fsi turbocharged engine. the engine gives me power all the way through the power band at low speeds and pulling to 100 mph or more is just effortless. along with that engine I opted for the DSG auto. it is AWESOME MAN! i could talk about this car all night long. it truly is a great car & I recommend it to anyone that wants a great car with german styling, pizzazz, and a maturity that is isnt found a lot in cars under a 25k price tag. if you want german engineering without a BMW price tag, this car delivers."

quick!

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"i had mine now for 7 months, i have been at the service dept. 4 times including 5K service. fuel pump relay went out @ 2500 miles, it took them 2 days to fix, multifunction display went out at around 5200 miles, i had to bring it back to shop twice, since dealership screwed up order of the part, i had radio issues too, radio fluctuates in volumen and gets distorted, panasonic radio needed software update. gladly it's just minor bugs and glitches but it is definetively a hassle and my precious time wasted waiting for the car to be fix, and hours if not days without my car. The car is awesome and fun to drive, very fast, quick and grips to the road on tight turns, excellent handling! i'll do another review @ 12 months."

Great car for the value - German quality!

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "Great quality, great performance on and off track"

Cons: "A little small for tall people like me"

"I've had this car for about a year - very impressed. The car might have a few miles on it, but it doesn't matter. Runs almost like the new ones I test drove. The MKIV (early 2006 in my case, the late 2006 models are MKV's) model is the best looking design in my opinion, and the 1.8 turbo engine is much better than the 2.0 turbo as well. Has nearly the same power, but much better fuel economy. If you're interested in a GTI I strongly recommend this year. Performance and handling are excellent, the care in building the car is excellent - nothing will fall apart on you like in many other imports from other countries. I would recommend upgrading the stereo deck though - I have a Kenwood DVD deck in mine with Bluetooth and navigation - basically the same type of system that the newer models come with. Only downfall is the pricing - many dealerships want around $12000 for this car - I was lucky and found one at a dealership for $8000."

Everything you'll ever need from a car...

By on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Pros: "Not the best in any, but up top in every category"

"Have been driving for ~6 years, and this is an amazing car. Very sporty yet comfortable, very nicely designed interior and exterior, looks small yet very spacious and practical. Recommended for everyone. I've driven much more expensive cars, and this car does 95% of what they do for half the price!"

Fantastic mountain carver

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, efficient on fuel"

Cons: "Could have more factory horsepower, FWD"

"This is a fantastic little car to own and drive. German engineering and quality. Interior is on par with Audi. Makes me happy everytime I get behind the wheel. Great engine with more potential with a tune. Steering feel is tight, linear and very good at communicating the road. Both options for transmissions are fantastic. Try the DSG automatic if you get the chance. 6-Speed manual is top notch also."

Fun car to drive if not a little problematic

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

"I bought my GTI as a year old, 100 miles on the ODO, showroom model. At 25,000 miles, it required a new engine, as the ceramic cylinder walls had burned up and luckily it was under warranty. It would have been 14K out of my pocket if not. Other than that and the fact it does us a lot of oil (local dealership gave me a pamphlet that stated it is normal to "use" a quart of oil every 1200 miles) it is a very fun car to drive. Handles like a roller coaster, even with cheap all season tires."

50,000 and still love it!

By on Thursday, January 06, 2011

"I just rolled 50,000 in my 2008 GTI. I've only visited the dealer once outside of regular maintenance visits. This was to repair a piece of door trim that was vibrating from the bass pumped out by the sound system. If I have one complaint it is with the TSI engine that gobbles up oil. This causes no problems outside of needing to keep oil on hand to top it off every 1,000 miles or so. Great car! Great ride!"

A great car

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009

"very fast and fun to drive i love the sound of the turbo"

Da Da Dub

By on Sunday, February 08, 2009

"I really enjoy the Dub!!!!!!! Very solid on the road, good gas mileage, all the creature features one can appreciate. Gas milage is very good, feel and handling are top of the class. I have the DSG and have notice some lag in the transmission. Can try to stall if on an incline in forward or reverse. Hence the neame da,da, dub. But when it catches it will fly. I use the V-dub as a highway car - mainly used for long commutes and it is a pleasure."

2006.5 GTI Package 2

By on Monday, October 27, 2008

"Great car! So far with 31,000 miles, none of the old vw problems have come up. Only major issue was that my A/C system failed on me at 14,000 miles, but it was a common problem on the earlier 2.0T engines (both mkv platform and pq46 platform) and the entire system was replaced under warranty. For a FWD car, it's plenty powerful, definitely the best FWD VW right out of the box since the corrado. I can't wait to buy a diesel MkVI golf for a second car!"

Best value for the money

By on Friday, May 16, 2008

"This car just wants to go. With the DSG this car will take most 300 horse power cars off the line. The ability of the car to get out of tight situations is amazing. It is quick, nimble and seems to be happiest when push hard. The 2.0 turbo engine is awesome. The GTI is solid and crafted like a true german sports car. Drive a SI and then drive a GTI. You will feel and see the difference between both cars. The GTI hands down is the better made and faster of the two. The 200 horsepower is efficent and when driven with DSG is a blast. People love to look and comment on this car. VW owners are very loyal and are always quick to give other GTI owners the V sign to acknowledge each other. For $25K the bang for your buck is unmatched. The up keep on the car can be expensive due to synthetic oil and having to use premium grade gas. The computer has to be reset every 10,000 miles but ensures that the car is serviced regularly to keep it in fine tuned lighting quick condition. Treat yourself to a test drive and you will be hooked."

Best Value For Sporty, Daily Driver

By on Saturday, November 17, 2007

"Sleek, Sporty, Spirited, Roomy, Comfortable, Stylish, Innovative, Adaptable, Unique. All of those words describe the GTi very accurately. If you're looking at GTi's, then you obviously need a car that is spacious, possibly four doors, with an upscale interior, and yet you still want it to handle great, drive strong, be comfortable, and affordable! Is this even possible? Yes. You're in luck, since you are exactly the person the GTi was designed for. With very aggressive looks, spacious rear hatch, a great German interior, sport tuned suspension, and an award winning engine; the GTi gets the job done with finesse. Are there cars in this segment with more power? Sure, but they sacrifice alot of the amenities that make the GTi so nice. If you browse the list of nice standard equipment, from HID's, to the "comfort blinker", to the overhead red light leds for visibility in the dark, to the MFD data screen, down to the middle cup holder that holds red bull sized cans, it's the amenities we expect and the little touches of ingenuity we don't that give VW's so much character. If your craving for more power can't be quenched, there is a very large after market scene for VW's. Anywhere from an engine reflash (how does ~50 more horsepower/ ~90 more torque sound?) to the basic exhaust or intake upgrades. Need to be unique? Buy a limited edition Fahrenheit edition or choose from the vast assortment of aftermarket wheels, side mirrors, trim pieces, etc. Don't worry though, the GTi looks just fantastic the way it is too. I've already put 45k miles on mine since buying it in early 2006 and I've enjoyed every mile. VW reliability has increased dramatically since early 2000 and the only issue I have to report is an airbag light which was covered under warranty. In and out the same day. I get alot of compliments on the plaid interior and how spacious the rear seat is for a 2 seater (4 door IS available for the first time in the US!) In the end, just test drive the car, it will put your mind at ease and you have nothing to lose!"

Hot Hatch

By on Monday, June 25, 2007

"Excelent vehicle. there is torque all over the rpm range. The DSG Trans is soo responsive. The car will take any turn you throw at it. the turbo lag is almost negligable. the seats hold you in place well while still being comfortable. Costs more than the competition, but worth every penny"

Great CAR!!

By on Monday, April 30, 2007

"I've been driving for over 30yrs. amateur racing for 20yrs. However, in the past decade or so the cars I've owned were better suited for work or economy. The VW GTI 2.0T brought back the joy of driving again! What a fun car! Do yourself a favor if you're looking for a new--nearly new "sport-hatch", test drive the new VW GTI 2.0T. It WILL make your list."

solid, drives well, somewhat expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "dependable, solid and tight, fun to drive"

Cons: "cost of maintenance"

"This has been a great car but there were some hidden costs of owning it. Tires are more expensive than, say, for a Nissan Sentra, and replacing headlights and the air filter (you have to pop the top off the engine compartment, easier said than done) is more complicated and expensive. That said, VW's warranty and recalls (there have been two) have served me very well, the car is absolutely dependable and handles well. I would buy it again."

Will keep this car until the wheels fall off

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Fun n fast"

"Great car, fun to drive, pretty good on gas but need the premium. Since we have snow purchased Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires that are AWEsome."

Love it

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Love it...the poswer is wonderful. I live in the mountains and it makes the driving through the switchbacks easy"

I LOVE my car

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Zippy, responsive engine and wonderful handling"

Cons: "Suspension is a bit tight making bumpy roads rough"

"Out of all the smaller cars I've driven, I love this the most. I love the sporty feel I get driving down the road. Granted, the suspension could be a little smoother when it comes to bumps on the highway, but I'm ok at where it's at. The turning radius and how easy it is to parallel park this car make it great for everything from weekend drives, to a daily driver, to getting groceries. Yes, the hatchback can hold a ton, even with the seats still up."

Most fun driving stock car ever driven

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Price, Fun Factor, Practicality"

Cons: "Seats"

"This car from test drive throughout purchase and 66k miles remains to be the single most FUN stock car I have ever driven. It begs to be driven aggressively. It just seems to want to be pushed and pushed. On the track it has no apparent flaws short of the annoying TC system."

Best ever

By on Monday, October 18, 2010

"I have had American vehicles, but the German vehicle is the best. In 2 years I have had only normal maintenance. Steering, suspension and pep is great. I can not find anything wrong."