2009 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 192 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

Ho-Hum...

By on Thursday, May 22, 2008

"I had two GTIs in Europe before moving to the US (back in the 80s, the old 8 valve, 1781 cc motor) - had a lot of fun with them. Had a WRX before this car - great car, but heavy on gas. I wanted to get better consumption, so bought the Mk V GTI with DSG and the Autobahn package. It has many great points - sweet, powerful engine, better consumption, nice comfortable interior, lots of refinement and style...BUT (you knew there had to be a "but") the traction is AWFUL - the slightest amount of water/snow on the road, or even a moderately brisk takeoff, and the front wheels are spinning like aero propellors. Two things happen - you tend to put the power down very C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y, and the front tires wear quickly, even for a front drive car. It really spoils what would otherwise be a great car."

best GTI since the MK1

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"only one word to explain this car once you get into it, " WOW!!!! ". i've owned my GTI since April of 07' and I truly enjoy this car and all the miles that I have put on it ( 13500 to be exact ). the aggressive styling, 18 inch rims, & ya gotta have the sunroof in the California sunshine, are just the right perks that give the GTI some its character. I'm so glad that VW went back to the roots of the car for the mark v platform because it really lets the driver enjoy the aspect of buying a car in the first place; driving. the accessories are easy to operate & dont disturb the drivers concentration from the road, ride is great especially up hills and windy roads, the seats look great as well as perform while your winding up the road by keeping you in them, and I gotta tell ya I get looks from mark iv GTI's, especially when they see that mine is the 4-door model. it really is sporty even having the 2 extra doors. storage room is perfect for my needs and I'm pretty active with sports. It carries all the equipment I need and then some. but the power plant of this car is impressive with the 2.0 liter fsi turbocharged engine. the engine gives me power all the way through the power band at low speeds and pulling to 100 mph or more is just effortless. along with that engine I opted for the DSG auto. it is AWESOME MAN! i could talk about this car all night long. it truly is a great car & I recommend it to anyone that wants a great car with german styling, pizzazz, and a maturity that is isnt found a lot in cars under a 25k price tag. if you want german engineering without a BMW price tag, this car delivers."

quick!

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"i had mine now for 7 months, i have been at the service dept. 4 times including 5K service. fuel pump relay went out @ 2500 miles, it took them 2 days to fix, multifunction display went out at around 5200 miles, i had to bring it back to shop twice, since dealership screwed up order of the part, i had radio issues too, radio fluctuates in volumen and gets distorted, panasonic radio needed software update. gladly it's just minor bugs and glitches but it is definetively a hassle and my precious time wasted waiting for the car to be fix, and hours if not days without my car. The car is awesome and fun to drive, very fast, quick and grips to the road on tight turns, excellent handling! i'll do another review @ 12 months."

Great car for the value - German quality!

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "Great quality, great performance on and off track"

Cons: "A little small for tall people like me"

"I've had this car for about a year - very impressed. The car might have a few miles on it, but it doesn't matter. Runs almost like the new ones I test drove. The MKIV (early 2006 in my case, the late 2006 models are MKV's) model is the best looking design in my opinion, and the 1.8 turbo engine is much better than the 2.0 turbo as well. Has nearly the same power, but much better fuel economy. If you're interested in a GTI I strongly recommend this year. Performance and handling are excellent, the care in building the car is excellent - nothing will fall apart on you like in many other imports from other countries. I would recommend upgrading the stereo deck though - I have a Kenwood DVD deck in mine with Bluetooth and navigation - basically the same type of system that the newer models come with. Only downfall is the pricing - many dealerships want around $12000 for this car - I was lucky and found one at a dealership for $8000."

Everything you'll ever need from a car...

By on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Pros: "Not the best in any, but up top in every category"

"Have been driving for ~6 years, and this is an amazing car. Very sporty yet comfortable, very nicely designed interior and exterior, looks small yet very spacious and practical. Recommended for everyone. I've driven much more expensive cars, and this car does 95% of what they do for half the price!"