2008 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 196 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

Love it

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Love it...the poswer is wonderful. I live in the mountains and it makes the driving through the switchbacks easy"

I LOVE my car

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Zippy, responsive engine and wonderful handling"

Cons: "Suspension is a bit tight making bumpy roads rough"

"Out of all the smaller cars I've driven, I love this the most. I love the sporty feel I get driving down the road. Granted, the suspension could be a little smoother when it comes to bumps on the highway, but I'm ok at where it's at. The turning radius and how easy it is to parallel park this car make it great for everything from weekend drives, to a daily driver, to getting groceries. Yes, the hatchback can hold a ton, even with the seats still up."

Most fun driving stock car ever driven

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Price, Fun Factor, Practicality"

Cons: "Seats"

"This car from test drive throughout purchase and 66k miles remains to be the single most FUN stock car I have ever driven. It begs to be driven aggressively. It just seems to want to be pushed and pushed. On the track it has no apparent flaws short of the annoying TC system."

Best ever

By on Monday, October 18, 2010

"I have had American vehicles, but the German vehicle is the best. In 2 years I have had only normal maintenance. Steering, suspension and pep is great. I can not find anything wrong."

Jack of all trades

By on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"This car has 90% of the practicality of an SUV, 90% of the performance of a sports car, and 90% of the joys of a luxury vehicle. I love it and I doubt that I'll ever buy anything much different in the future. The concept has amazing value and I love the car."

The Secrets Out

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"I bought my '07 6spd 4dr GTI as a Bank repo with 53,000 miles 8 months ago, and there was some negligence by the previous owner. However this is the best VW i have owned, period. It has a roomy interior, a sweet stereo, and the best steering wheel size/shape that makes driving it very comfortable. The car is quick in any scenario and responds well in the curves. The feel is solid and the engine sounds tight and precise. For oil changes buy Mobile 1 synthetic oil in 5 gallon quart at Walmart for only $26 bucks and do it yourself or provide to shop for better deal. You must use synthetic as this extends the life of the turbo since the oil also lubes the turbo by way of design. APR is the ECU chip upgrade of choice and VW AG subcontracts them to do upgrade concept cars, so you know it's a safe and reasonably affordable hp return that you can turn on and off when needed. I drive moderately aggresive in town and lots on the highway as well (40,000 miles a year) and so far I average 28 mpg (don't go by the on board comp averages). If you live in a hot summer climate, you will experience turbo lag, but it is not as noticeable as the 1.8t engine in models prior. This GTI gives the A4 a run for it's money, I only wish the car had the Audi Quattro All Wheel system, but it still does well. This car lives up to it's title, "Automobile of the Year" and I will drive it until it explodes!"

Bang 4 the Buck!

By on Monday, January 4, 2010

"I've had 4 GTI's since 2000. Two VR-6 six cylinder models and two 2.0 Turbo models. I currently drive a 2009 GTI. I had problems with the 2000 model as it was built in Brazil (so was the 2003). However, VW fixed all issues under warranty. The 2007 and my current 2009 have been and are trouble free. They get great gas mileage and are a blast to drive. I'm single with no kids and the hatchback is all the utility I need for most jobs. I just finished a 2700 mile trip from Texas to Arizona and back to Texas with no problems whatsoever. My cumulative gas mileage was: 29.1. And I drive it hard in west Texas close to 100 mph. The only negative is depreciation. The car looses value rapidly in the first two years. And even VW doesn't give much of a trade allowance for them as used cars. So, don't pay MSRP or you will not be happy. Otherwise, drive 'em like you stole 'em; they are fun to drive!"

09 GTI rocks

By on Friday, March 6, 2009

"I am writing for the 09 gti, manual trasnmission. The car is amazing, it handles better than higher end cars, it pulls like a beast on the freeway as long as I'm in the right gear. The engine purs, and it is just plain funny to see some honda civic SI go by making about 3 times more noise doing speeds around 60-70 mph. I do plan on adding a chip to this vehicle, to get the extra 50 hp. I've pushed this car stock up to 120 mph a couple of times and it was smooth sailing both times. With a manual you can down shift, and with the sporty brakes, i can stop on a dime. Even if I do feel like gunning it every now and then, I still average around 30+ mpg, from short destinations to long ones. It has a built in ipod connector, with a 6 disc mp3 cd player. Anyone who complains about the sounds system because it doesn't get loud enough needs to research something called an amp...You have to pay to get the systems that bumb, and this system is more than capable of it with some woofers and an amp installed. Otherwise the sounds system is great and won't blow out your ear drums. On a final note, I took this thing up to big bear the other weekend up some mountain roads, and I'd say the drive up was almost as fun as snowboarding :)."

So Far So Great!

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"I've had my GTI through summer and winter here in Cincinnati. It hugs corners like it's on rails. In the winter, the snow gives me few worries. The traction control works like a dream and I pass everyone that's stuck off the side of the road. Gas mileage is great. I can get in the high 30's when I drive sensibly. That makes me not feel so guilty when I open it up and take it on some windy back roads. The curves are where the GTI shows its true colors! It's great fun AND it's practical! I have two kids and the 4-door GTI is great."

Nice, Real nice, too bad you can't get it service.

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"Great car, only 2 problems, first is the stereo, when you turn it up to the max volume, the volume actually goes down, and second is the fact that it can only be serviced except for oil changes, by a VW dealer, thats sad since I live an hour or more away from them. Gotta get the timing belt chagned by 60,000 miles or it breaks, and the Catalatic Converter acts up about that time too."