2008 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 192 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

MY little VDUB

By on Friday, July 10, 2009

"This is my forth GTi and this model has to be rated as the best of ALL previous models. i bought this one second hand (12 months old at the time) and I had an issue with it loosing power under heavy acceleration. in the end it turned out to be a camshaft issue (after three visits to my VW garage).. After this was fixed it's been trouble free... i'd say the interior plastic isn't as good as previous models but the styling has defiantly improved. in the winter it needs winter tires which was a surprise seeing it's FWD."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"This car is great in all aspects. It's fast, handles great, good on gas, seats five adults, great stereo, built very solid. I have 75,000 miles on my car without a rattle. I have replaced the rear brake pads and tires and that's it."

A Total Pleasure to Drive

By on Saturday, March 28, 2009

"I've had my 2007 VW GTI for one year now. Bought it with 13000mi on it. I use it to get to and from work and have also taken it on a few roadtrips (ranging from 3 hours and 5 hours one way). I haven't had any major problems. Only small ones like needing to replace one of the rear parking lights and having one of the tires losing air. Otherwise, all runs smoothly. The sunroof is great. I also love the little features like the lane-changer feature on the turn signal lever. The DSG transmission is a plus. Premium fuel and synthetic oil can be a little more pricey as well as regular detailing at the car wash, but i feel that the overall quality and performance of the car make it worth it."

Excellent

By on Sunday, March 22, 2009

"This car is the best value anywhere. For less than 25k, you wont be able to find anything better. Economical, comfortable, reliable, fun to drive, and of course, very cool. Its the perfect car for if you just need to get to work, or if you get the itch to hit the mountain roads. If you are condsidering this car, get the DSG transmission, you wont be dissapointed. The only problem I have with the car are its low-profile tires, they make a little more noise than some, but you will hardly notice while driving it, between your tears of joy and the stereo you cant even hear the tires. Volkswagon I applaude you, trust me, it is no accident the MKV GTI was awarded 'car of the year' on two different continents."

Excellent car

By on Thursday, March 12, 2009

"This car is probably the best car i have ever driven. It takes off pretty quick and the handling through curvy roads is excellent. It also attracts attention everywhere you go. 9000 miles in 5 months."

Couldn't be happier

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"I have owned my GTI for just over 5 months and have just turned over the 4,500 mile mark. I've been very pleased with the vehicle in all aspects. It provides me with ample room in the hatch area for my necessities and, with the back seats folded down, even allowed me to move a lot of my medium sized furniture items. As far as performance is concered, the stock 200 HP is plenty of power to get me into and out of traffic in a hurry without keeping me in trouble. The temptation to have APR chip it for more power exists, but I don't think I'd have the restraint to keep it under the speed limit at that point! The interior is very well layed-out and the seats are very comfortable, even on a long road trip. The six-disc changer, Sirius satellite radio, and the auxiliary input for my MP3 player offer me great music options with a 10 speaker factory system that leaves little to be desired. I haven't had my first service peformed yet, but I'm about to reach the 5,000 mile recommended service interval. I'm currently averaging around 25 MPG in mixed driving and have been averaging around 30 on the highway (at 65 MPH). The DSG transmission is very smooth and shifts without any jerkiness or delay. I have been driving a manual transmission in all of my previous vehicles and love the option to shift gears with the available paddle shifters. Some may not like the interlagos racing plaid interior, but I really dig it. It has a throwback vintage feel to it and serves as a constant reminder of the GTI's rich sporting heritage. I love my GTI and look forward to many years of enjoyable driving together!"

best car ever

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I have driven my GTI 60000 miles in 18 months. Not one issue with ANYTHING!"

fundamentally amazing german engineering

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"i have had my gti for over a year. i smile everytime i get in and out of it. it is a flexible everyday driver, and a weekend rocket. the engine is a work of art, the powerband flows like poetry. the exhaust note is spot on. mod wise.. 600bucks will give u 50hp and 60lb/tq (chipping) the way i like to summarize the vehicle is i have no problem pulling up to a 5 star hotel and getting out. at the same time i dont have a problem throwing the back seats down and letting my dog ride back there. price/ride/performance...there is nothin better."

Best little car I ever had

By on Friday, September 12, 2008

"I've had my '07 GTI for two years in Dec. Such fun to drive and a beaut to look at. Enjoy every moment driving it. Only issue is the noise from the low profile tires and they wear poorly. Was told by VW they have that problem with the GTI. But, all in all well worth it!"

Car Guy

By on Thursday, July 17, 2008

"Really love this car. Was going to buy a Corolla, but it lacked the "FUN FACTOR". I'm usually a manuel driver. I drove the DSG transmission and was convinced that was what I wanted. Sooooooooo much fun drive. The performance is really great. Plus since my 08 has 4-doors, it's really a fun family car when it needs to be, or my pocket rocket when I'm alone. Good job VW!!!!"

Love It

By on Thursday, June 05, 2008

"This '07 GTI is my 3rd VW and I have to say its one of the best. I love the 4 door + hatch. It has almost as much cargo room as my wife CR-V and will leave most cars this size in its dust. 115 mph feels just like 65 with room for acceleration. I would give this car all 5 Stars but I did have to take it in to get a sensor replaced under warranty. My advice is if your looking for a car in this class no better choice could be made."

Buying my Second.

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2008

"I had a 07 GTi that was totaled in a accident. The car held up exactly like it should the passenger compartment was solid and noone was hurt. Today I will purchasing a 08 GTi just in a different color. Car is fun to drive and has many extras included. Can't wait to break another one in."

yaaaa

By on Friday, May 30, 2008

"I love this car. I owned a honda accord, nissan maxima, and a chevy extreme. I wanted a compact car for school since i commute 40 miles every three days per week. I love the style of the car, and the performance... i also recently raced my friends civic si which was stock and my car won. im pretty much happy with my car"

great pocket rocket

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"purchased in 2006. have 19,000 miles & avg. 28.4 mpg. my best on a trip was 32.7 mpg. this little hatch back does it all--can put my bicycle in the back without taking off the front wheel. i also carry two kayaks on top. purched the special vw wheel package ( summer tires )--and it makes a different. not a cheap car--but ya get what ya pay for."

Excellent daily driver

By on Saturday, March 01, 2008

"14700 miles in 9 months. I use it as a daily driver in the NYC metro area. Incredibly fun to drive with only a Revo stage-1 with stock everything. Estimated 250HP and 285 lb. ft. torque. Definitely felt the power difference. Excellent on gas averaging 23 city and 34 hwy. Fun, fast, economical and amazing utility."

Great versatile car

By on Monday, February 25, 2008

"This is the best blend of performance, comfort, style, and versatility I have ever driven. The value is unbelievable. You get so much for the money. You get a lot of stuff that other manufacturers charge for (Xeon headlights, active steering, satellite radio, etc.) You can smoke just about anyone and still pick up an entire room at IKEA! I absolutely love this car and would recommend it to anyone hands down."

Watta Ride!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Best ride ever from VW. Ultra quick response and a very kewl Lamborghini orange color w/black leather interior. Great collector car!!!"

Great gas mileage, great power

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I get 24 MPG (mixed city/highway) in my GTI. Loving the 200 HP/207 ft-lb torque engine and 6-speed manual. Interior is roomy and seats are comfortable. My last car, a 2004 RX-8, was a gas hog that got just under 16 MPG and offered a lot less torque (159@5500RPM vs. the GTI's 207@1800RPM). Interior was cramped, seats were firm to hard, no spare tire. Sure it looks way sexy and sportier than a GTI (which isn't exactly frumpy itself) but looks were deceiving. I have yet to see another car with as much power as the GTI (200HP or more with torque to match) in the under-30K price range that gets 24 MPG. The secret must be the turbo, why isn't it a standard feature on every car?!"

Best GTI yet

By on Thursday, September 13, 2007

"Have had the car two weeks and I can't stop wanting to go for a drive. My commute to work is only 2.5 miles but now I am wishing it was longer. Great power and handling. The ride on the highway is smooth with plenty of power to pass. one minor issue that i have already though is the tpms system is detecting a low tire. Check them all myself and all are ok. Have to take it to the dealer so they can reset the tpms system."

WOW WoviWow

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Simplye the best GTI ever built. Totally satisfying and absolutely amazing. Got buy it, you wont regret it"

By on Saturday, April 28, 2007

Still enjoying my GTI

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"I purchased a new 2007 GTI May of last year, and I still love it. Hands down, its been one of the best cars I've had the opportunity to drive. My background, as i've had quite a few cars to base my review upon. Current car: GTI 2007 DSG Old Cars (in order of ownership): VW Jetta 2003 WE Honda Prelude 1999 Infiniti I30 1996 Ford Thunderbird 1994 Nissan Pathfinder 1987 Jack of all trades: master of none... To keep my review concise, I'm going to use a reversal of the Ratings used by KBB: Starting from bottom: Comfort: Supportive sport seats, nicely bolstered and has enough leg room to even fit my frame (6'2") - I do however have difficulty sitting in the back seats for an extended period of time, but this isnt bound to happen much. Some features that were on previous model years (MY) have been deleted in recent MYs. (soft touch controls, headlight washer nozzles, and a few other misc. items) But the comfort factor is still high. 5/5. Styling: Its a love it or hate it Bubble behind. I personally like it, but I've heard it called fat, or described as a "shoe". I personally like the styling and subtle functional design (ie the indicator lamps built into the left and right side mirrors). I gave it 4 stars just because there is a few quirks that I find annoying. (I have trouble with blind spots due to the rake of the car's windows). 4/5 Performance: Wow. Flat out Wow. Very peppy 2 Liter engine with a Turbo. Almost no turbo lag, and the DSG automatic is the second quickest shifting auto I've driven (the first being the new Evo from Mitsubishi). I've been very happy with the GTI and (knock on wood...) no speeding tickets! Quality: Seems like a much more expensive car that it is. I drove a G6 (similarly equipped - at least price wise...) around for a while and I seemed to find cheap materials everywhere. This VW has some of that, but its all relatively tastefully done. The psuedo-rubber dash is pleasing to the touch and the brushed aluminum is nice even if its really just plastic. No real wobbly bits on this car; altho I have heard some owners complain of a phantom rattle in the front right quarter panel. I have yet to experience this. I gave 5/5. Reliability: Electrical issues plagued my old VW Jetta. These seem to have been fixed in the GTI, but I did have some minor work done (reflashing the software and retuned my MFG). More of an annoyance - all fixed under warranty. We'll see if this continues into future ownership of the GTI. 4/5 for annoyance sake >.< Value: Low end of the price range is very attractive. High end begins to spiral out of control and lands in the middle of A3 and cheap BMW pricing. The R32 edition is amazing, but I'm not sure that I would spend that much as it is still a VW :p 4/5 Overall: I love this car. Its become my favorite of all my rides. And along with it, there is a silent following - websites dedicated to all forms of VWs and GTIs. The best moments are when you are at a light and see another VW, and get a little wave. So if you get one, I'll toss you a V. :) 5/5"

Old School VW owner

By on Monday, June 02, 2008

"Can I give it 6 stars??? My first GTI (1984) was the best VW I ever owned until I bought my 2006 GTI. I had a few cars in between but this car is undervalued as a used vehicle but rather pricey when you buy new. I drove the Mini and my GTI would smoke it in every aspect! VW is finally back on track with great cars. I love my GTI and hope to get more than 200k miles like my old one."

Tires let me down

By on Friday, November 09, 2007

"I traded my Subaru WRX for the GTI. Initially, I loved the GTI. Handling, pep, braking--all were great. At 8000 miles, I started hearing a "wonk,wonk,wonk" noise and was told by the dealership that my tires were wearing unevenly but their alignment machine was down. I ended up replacing and paying for 4 new tires. Now at 20,000 miles the noise has started again. Three dealerships later, I either have to buy new tires or I'll sell the car. If there was a category for service it would be a zero rating. The warranty is a joke."

Love this car BUT...

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"I have had this car barely 2 months, it's the 4th vw we have as of now. It is a great car, but I have had 4 different areas with rattles, have had the stereo replaced and now having multiple issues with the dealership I bought it from (they damaged my car i 5 defferent places) I am to the point where I want a different car, still a GTI, but a different one. I really do love this car, but I must have just received a faulty one."