2008 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 185 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

mod it and love it

By on Friday, August 13, 2010

"Bought this car in march of 2009 and have loved every minute of it. I suggest that you apr tune your car to have the best experiance. I have a candey white 2 door witth 20% tint with symbols painted red looks sweet. It has an evoulution v-flow intake,apr stage2,catbck exhaust,and adjustable supension, I will never have a car that i love more than this car."

By on Wednesday, August 04, 2010

By on Saturday, July 24, 2010

Great car, outstanding value

By on Friday, June 25, 2010

"This car is great. You get ample cargo room, plenty of room for passengers, all in a compact, sporty package with a classy german interior. Forget blowing an extra $10k to buy an audi (unless you really, really care about brand recognition), this car shares many audi components and is a blast to drive."

got a new transmission at 25k

By on Saturday, June 19, 2010

"this car has been nothing but problems for me. New transmission and computer system at 25k miles. about 7 flat tires. No communication between dealerships and mine closed, so the extra packages i bought were a wash. chipping paint, faulty rear wiper, trunk cover continues to break. fix the light, then the fuse blows thirty minutes later. now the oil pressure light!!! PROBABLY NEED ANOTHER NEW ENGINE. besides that, the car is very zippy and cute. if i didnt have all of those problems, i would definately recommend."

ggrrreeeaaattt

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"Best hatchback ever. Fun, fast, and comfortable. Cant go wrong with it!"

It only does everything

By on Saturday, June 12, 2010

"I've put a solid 38k miles in the 3yrs i've owned my leased GTI. I loved every mile I put on it. Such a joy to drive and manual transmission is second to none at this price range. This is what practical and fun to drive car is. Fuel efficient, check... does an easy 33 mpg on the highway. Get a $500 REVO Technik computer upgrade and unlock the full potential of sweet 2 liter Turbo engine."

By on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Jack of all trades

By on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"This car has 90% of the practicality of an SUV, 90% of the performance of a sports car, and 90% of the joys of a luxury vehicle. I love it and I doubt that I'll ever buy anything much different in the future. The concept has amazing value and I love the car."

Best Car Ever

By on Thursday, April 15, 2010

"If you want the best car money can buy, and you dont make 6 figures, this is it. It comes in a 2 dr and 4 dr flavor... no excuses here. Ample power, great handling. All the little perks you find in upper class euros. My next car will be another GTI for sure."

1.5 yrs and still going strong

By on Friday, April 02, 2010

"i must say what a great car. i can hardly keep the front wheel traction planted when the turbo kicks in...to me , thats an awesome thing. the car is very well laid out. the interior is wonderful. the sound system isn't bad at all for a standard. i love my manual transmission. it shift smoothly and predicable. the only quirks i would say is the seat adjustment is hard to find a comfortable position relating your eyes with the speedometer. and the brakes should be more sensitive. i really love my car. the new one is very similar just updated...."

By on Monday, March 01, 2010

The Secrets Out

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"I bought my '07 6spd 4dr GTI as a Bank repo with 53,000 miles 8 months ago, and there was some negligence by the previous owner. However this is the best VW i have owned, period. It has a roomy interior, a sweet stereo, and the best steering wheel size/shape that makes driving it very comfortable. The car is quick in any scenario and responds well in the curves. The feel is solid and the engine sounds tight and precise. For oil changes buy Mobile 1 synthetic oil in 5 gallon quart at Walmart for only $26 bucks and do it yourself or provide to shop for better deal. You must use synthetic as this extends the life of the turbo since the oil also lubes the turbo by way of design. APR is the ECU chip upgrade of choice and VW AG subcontracts them to do upgrade concept cars, so you know it's a safe and reasonably affordable hp return that you can turn on and off when needed. I drive moderately aggresive in town and lots on the highway as well (40,000 miles a year) and so far I average 28 mpg (don't go by the on board comp averages). If you live in a hot summer climate, you will experience turbo lag, but it is not as noticeable as the 1.8t engine in models prior. This GTI gives the A4 a run for it's money, I only wish the car had the Audi Quattro All Wheel system, but it still does well. This car lives up to it's title, "Automobile of the Year" and I will drive it until it explodes!"

A Bit of Proper Fun

By on Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"This car has changed my opinions on hatchbacks. I overlooked the GTI for a good while because I didn't think that it lived up to any of the accolades that other people had given it. Best car purchase I have made yet! Just be sure to fight a bit for invoice price. Made a big difference for me. I chose the 6-speed because I "wanted" a manual, but there are times when I wish I had the DSG. If there is any congestion where you live the DSG transmission might be a better option for you. I would stick with the 17 inch tires as well solely because you can get tires cheaper. With a heavy right foot and 3300 lbs of car you go through them pretty quick. My real world mpg is just over 26, but I drive pretty hard. If I'm ginger on the throttle and draft a bit of the highway I can average over 30 on long trips or floor it and get 17. Amazing for a car that can make you grin from ear to ear leaving a stop light. It's also proved its versatility, I somehow managed to fit a full 8' 2x4 inside and have all doors and hatches closed. My wife and I also got a full size 4 drawer filing cabinet inside as well. Its bigger than it appears. I've had not major issues with it, other than some goof ups that service people have done. I'm not fond of the cartirdge oil filter, but no damage was done. The electircal system seems to drain quickly as I just had the battery replaced a couple months ago under warranty. A sensor had gone bad that had to be replaced by the dealer, again covered under warranty. Oil changes are pricey with full synthetic, but you only need them every 5k miles so its about the same as a regular oil job at 3k miles. Taking the good with the bad I would definitely recommend this car to a friend. More fun than you can squeeze into the hatchback!"

Fast and Fun

By on Sunday, January 10, 2010

"I have owned my GTI since it came off the lot brand new in 2006. I considered many cars before I bought this one but after driving it I was hooked! I suggest a GTI to all my friends who want to buy something that is great on gas and a blast to drive. If you are in the market for a "hot hatch" I would drive this first."

Bang for the Buck

By on Tuesday, January 05, 2010

"This is the best car this money ($26k) can buy! The dual-clutch transmission and the 2.0t engine make this hatchback a thrill of a ride. German-engineered Electronic Stabilization Control allows the car to "grip" the road in sharp curves, while the tight-fitting sports seats keep the driver and passenger in place. Furthermore, the options available on this car are of great quality, such as the premium sound system, in-dash computer, and the sportshift mode(with the stick-shift design gear shifter). I bought my 2008 GTI in late December of 2007. It came equipped with the Autobahn package. The quality of the leather seats is minimal; it looks more plastic than anything else. The car feels a bit shaky when going over bumps and potholes (there are a lot of potholes where I live). As much as I love this car, I have to say that I'm a bit surprised by the mechanical quality of it--or lack thereof. I've had to have my engine replaced at 19k miles. The transmission feels a bit jerky at times, something that Volkswagen realized when they decided to extend the transmission warranty to 10 years/100,000 miles. All in all, the engineering aspect of this machine is superb. Where it falls behind, however, is the manufacturing/assembly step of the production, in my opinion. When I sit down in it, though, nothing else matters other than the thrilling ride and the turbo boost."

Bang 4 the Buck!

By on Monday, January 04, 2010

"I've had 4 GTI's since 2000. Two VR-6 six cylinder models and two 2.0 Turbo models. I currently drive a 2009 GTI. I had problems with the 2000 model as it was built in Brazil (so was the 2003). However, VW fixed all issues under warranty. The 2007 and my current 2009 have been and are trouble free. They get great gas mileage and are a blast to drive. I'm single with no kids and the hatchback is all the utility I need for most jobs. I just finished a 2700 mile trip from Texas to Arizona and back to Texas with no problems whatsoever. My cumulative gas mileage was: 29.1. And I drive it hard in west Texas close to 100 mph. The only negative is depreciation. The car looses value rapidly in the first two years. And even VW doesn't give much of a trade allowance for them as used cars. So, don't pay MSRP or you will not be happy. Otherwise, drive 'em like you stole 'em; they are fun to drive!"

Bargain GT car

By on Saturday, October 24, 2009

"Excellent features for the money. This was my first (modern) VW and it won't be my last. I even got a loaner 2009 Jetta from the dealer and was impressed by it's handling and interior. I drive a lot of fleet and rental cars and I can't wait to get back to my GTI interior. Some see it as drab and simple, but eveything is logically placed and comfortable. The dashboard hasn't become a video game like in some other techno cars and that's fine with me. It may take some time to get used to the bolstered sport seats, but once you do you can't go back to anything else. You pay a price premium over other small hatchbacks, but once you drive it for a couple of weeks you'll understand why. It's substantial feeling defies it's size. Performance is zippy and fun; handling is a good compromise of comfort and performance. This car does not ride like a luxury car, after all it is a perfomance vehicle that values handling over a living room sofa ride. Very solid performer at highway speeds and especially good over 80 mph or more. After all, it has to be able to keep up on the unlimited speed German Autobahns. Stay with the 17" wheels for comfort and winter driving; the all season tires and electronic stability control make it fine for snow and ice. Just be a smart driver. As a previous reviewer said, get the 18" wheels with ultra-high performance summer tires for all out handling. Good paint and body quality. New DSG (automated-manual automatic) transmission has some quirks but overall is fun to use. If you like manual transmissions get that over the automatic DSG. The four door will give you a little more convenience and performs the same as the two door. Some think the two door looks "sportier." My only problem with owning a VW? The dealer and service network needs improving, although VW is working on this and knows it needs improving. Relaibility has improved recently for VW's new models, just be a well informed consumer when going in for repair or warranty work."

Fire Sale Porche

By on Thursday, October 01, 2009

"To fully exploit the chassis this car needs to be equipped with 18" wheels and summer performance tires. Overrall this car has extremely good handling characteristics and more than adequate acceleration. It is a great bargain for what you get. Just watch out for the high intensity discharge headlights when they burn out because it will cost you!"

A great car

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009

"very fast and fun to drive i love the sound of the turbo"

My Favorite GTI

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"I previously owned an MKiV (2001) GTI and absolutely loved it. In between I had a Mazda 6s and a Honda Civic Si. There's just something about German technology that keeps you coming back...and I'm glad I did. This vehicle is the best I've ever owned, German or not. Like most have mentioned here, the engine...handling...interior detail...exterior styling, I could go on and on. But you get the idea. I only wish I could rate this beauty better than five stars!"

great car

By on Thursday, July 16, 2009

"Great car for the money. Two door can be tough at times. Very upgradable."

By on Monday, July 13, 2009

MY little VDUB

By on Friday, July 10, 2009

"This is my forth GTi and this model has to be rated as the best of ALL previous models. i bought this one second hand (12 months old at the time) and I had an issue with it loosing power under heavy acceleration. in the end it turned out to be a camshaft issue (after three visits to my VW garage).. After this was fixed it's been trouble free... i'd say the interior plastic isn't as good as previous models but the styling has defiantly improved. in the winter it needs winter tires which was a surprise seeing it's FWD."

GTI

By on Thursday, July 02, 2009

"This car is fast, 32 mpg, and what a ride. I have owned far more expensive sporty cars and this blows them away for value."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25