2008 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 192 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

Awesome 2008 GTI!!!

By on Friday, March 13, 2009

"I researched and drove almost every vehicle that in this cars class and even some considered to be in higher classes (I now question some of these higher classed cars). This car has all the of the quality you expect from a German car but with half of the price tag. Does great in the North East Ohio snow, comfortable enough and had enough room in it to take a 2500 mile trip with wife, 2 kids, and luggage. Handles like it is glued to the road. The feeling you get from the torque in this car is exhilarating to say the least. I am a Sales Engineer and live in my car (already have 24,000 on it after 1 year), and I have never been so comfortable and had so much fun at the same time. I have had this car to 129mph just under the cut off several times and it handled like a dream and still had power left. I have owned 43 cars in my lifetime and this GTI is by far the best car I have ever owned. I frequently travel on the West VA. turnpike through the mountains and have had many try (BMW's, Audi's, TransAm's, Mini's, and a Mazda 3 Speed) but the GTI left them in the dust. The ONLY complaint I have about the car is the bluetooth set up or lack there of from the factory. I added an aftermarket Parrot kit that works great through the stereo but I had to dis-assemble the dash to do it. Other than that I can not say enough positive about it. This will not be my last GTI."

Very well thought out car

By on Friday, January 11, 2008

"Take your pick from performance driving to highway cruising to in town driving the GTI does it all then begs you for more. I average 32mpg on the highway and 26 in the city. THe car is fast comfortable and loaded with amazing german engineering. No one ever mentions the self leveling HID headlights that illuminate the entire road and never blind oncoming drivers. The standard features are plentifull and the option list well thought out. Give it a look it deserves that much. The entire VW line up is well thought out."

5 years and still in love

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

Pros: "Power, handling, looks"

Cons: "seats, noise"

"Motor Trend's "2008 Car Of The Year". Most fun you can have on 4 (or less) wheels. Unbeleivable control. Not lightning fast but have it pointed in the direction you want before gassing it. I no longer have stoplights. They are now go! lights. Very firm ride with the stiff suspension and low profile/38# pressure tires. Seats are a bit uncomfortable and a little road noise. Small annoyances easily ignored with the power and handling. Pulls strong and feels stable at speeds of 100+. Love the style and look. Still get compliments from strangers even after 5 years. Would definately buy another when this one wears out in another decade."

LOVE THIS CAR

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, super fast, great reliability"

Cons: "gas mileage is not what you'd expect"

"I'VE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE NEW. HAD SOME MINOR ISSUES IN TEH BEGINNING THAT THE DEALER FIXED UNDER WARRANTY AND ONE BIGGER ISSUE WITH THE FUEL SYSTEM AT 90K MILES THAT AGAIN THE DEALER FIXED UNDER A SERVICE BULLETIN. FOR A CAR WITH 111000 MILES, I HAVE NEVER REPLACED THE FRONT BRAKES, ONLY REPLACED THE REAR BRAKES ONCE AND I DO DRIVE IT PRETTY HARD. I just had all brakes checked at last tire rotation and I am still in great shape with them. I do regular service intervals now myself or with a independent mechanic I have found. I will likely keep it for at least another two to three years"

Among turbocharged cars, best value for the $

By on Monday, February 06, 2012

Pros: "exterior looks, upgrade-bility, fun to drive"

Cons: "interior could be better (improved in 2010 )"

"when i bought it in 09, it came down to the GTI or Civic Si. While HP was rated the same for both cars at 200, GTI had more torque, and since there was virtually no price difference i went with the GTI. Looking back I am really glad i did. While both of these cars are probably equally reliable, i found that VWs have unmatched support network of LICENSED aftermarket performance shops, allowing VW owners to gradually upgrade their car (stages 1-3). Near my factory warranty expiration i let APR guys perform a stage 1 upgrade (basically just the engine software upgrade) which increased HP on the stock engine from 200 to 250 and torque from 205 to 350 lbs/ft. On a stock engine! Love love love my GTI."