2006 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 190 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

Old School VW owner

By on Monday, June 02, 2008

"Can I give it 6 stars??? My first GTI (1984) was the best VW I ever owned until I bought my 2006 GTI. I had a few cars in between but this car is undervalued as a used vehicle but rather pricey when you buy new. I drove the Mini and my GTI would smoke it in every aspect! VW is finally back on track with great cars. I love my GTI and hope to get more than 200k miles like my old one."

Love this car BUT...

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"I have had this car barely 2 months, it's the 4th vw we have as of now. It is a great car, but I have had 4 different areas with rattles, have had the stereo replaced and now having multiple issues with the dealership I bought it from (they damaged my car i 5 defferent places) I am to the point where I want a different car, still a GTI, but a different one. I really do love this car, but I must have just received a faulty one."

Awesome 2008 GTI!!!

By on Friday, March 13, 2009

"I researched and drove almost every vehicle that in this cars class and even some considered to be in higher classes (I now question some of these higher classed cars). This car has all the of the quality you expect from a German car but with half of the price tag. Does great in the North East Ohio snow, comfortable enough and had enough room in it to take a 2500 mile trip with wife, 2 kids, and luggage. Handles like it is glued to the road. The feeling you get from the torque in this car is exhilarating to say the least. I am a Sales Engineer and live in my car (already have 24,000 on it after 1 year), and I have never been so comfortable and had so much fun at the same time. I have had this car to 129mph just under the cut off several times and it handled like a dream and still had power left. I have owned 43 cars in my lifetime and this GTI is by far the best car I have ever owned. I frequently travel on the West VA. turnpike through the mountains and have had many try (BMW's, Audi's, TransAm's, Mini's, and a Mazda 3 Speed) but the GTI left them in the dust. The ONLY complaint I have about the car is the bluetooth set up or lack there of from the factory. I added an aftermarket Parrot kit that works great through the stereo but I had to dis-assemble the dash to do it. Other than that I can not say enough positive about it. This will not be my last GTI."

Most car for the money.

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"If you manage to stay away from the pricey option packages, the GTI is by far the best value for the money in it's segment. Even without the option packages, you get alot for the money. Xenon headlamps, 6-disc mp3, and VW's astonishing dual clutch DSG transimission is only roughly 1K extra. Premium compact build quality, with amazing fit and finish. The interior is fantastic, and is without compare in its segment. Looks-wise VW has done a fantastic job. Personally I will always prefer a sedan/coupe styling to a hatchbacks, but this is the best looking hatch you can buy. I am however loving the versatility the hatchback style provides. Recently moved into a new apartment, and was pleasantly surprised at how much cargo this baby can haul. All my friends are also impressed by the shear amount of legroom/headroom in the back. And thanks to the short overall length of the vehicle, city parking is a breeze. Only problems thus far was an airbag fault, as well as some cold start issues. Other than that it has been fairly reliable. But man on man, what a blast it is to drive. Among the best FWD cars out there, and the turbo 2.0 is smooth and quick. Love the DSG transmission, definitely a great compromise for those wanting manual performance with automatic livability. Now that I've owned a DSG car, I will never buy another traditional automatic ever again."

5 years and still in love

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

Pros: "Power, handling, looks"

Cons: "seats, noise"

"Motor Trend's "2008 Car Of The Year". Most fun you can have on 4 (or less) wheels. Unbeleivable control. Not lightning fast but have it pointed in the direction you want before gassing it. I no longer have stoplights. They are now go! lights. Very firm ride with the stiff suspension and low profile/38# pressure tires. Seats are a bit uncomfortable and a little road noise. Small annoyances easily ignored with the power and handling. Pulls strong and feels stable at speeds of 100+. Love the style and look. Still get compliments from strangers even after 5 years. Would definately buy another when this one wears out in another decade."

LOVE THIS CAR

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, super fast, great reliability"

Cons: "gas mileage is not what you'd expect"

"I'VE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE NEW. HAD SOME MINOR ISSUES IN TEH BEGINNING THAT THE DEALER FIXED UNDER WARRANTY AND ONE BIGGER ISSUE WITH THE FUEL SYSTEM AT 90K MILES THAT AGAIN THE DEALER FIXED UNDER A SERVICE BULLETIN. FOR A CAR WITH 111000 MILES, I HAVE NEVER REPLACED THE FRONT BRAKES, ONLY REPLACED THE REAR BRAKES ONCE AND I DO DRIVE IT PRETTY HARD. I just had all brakes checked at last tire rotation and I am still in great shape with them. I do regular service intervals now myself or with a independent mechanic I have found. I will likely keep it for at least another two to three years"

Among turbocharged cars, best value for the $

By on Monday, February 06, 2012

Pros: "exterior looks, upgrade-bility, fun to drive"

Cons: "interior could be better (improved in 2010 )"

"when i bought it in 09, it came down to the GTI or Civic Si. While HP was rated the same for both cars at 200, GTI had more torque, and since there was virtually no price difference i went with the GTI. Looking back I am really glad i did. While both of these cars are probably equally reliable, i found that VWs have unmatched support network of LICENSED aftermarket performance shops, allowing VW owners to gradually upgrade their car (stages 1-3). Near my factory warranty expiration i let APR guys perform a stage 1 upgrade (basically just the engine software upgrade) which increased HP on the stock engine from 200 to 250 and torque from 205 to 350 lbs/ft. On a stock engine! Love love love my GTI."

Ho-Hum...

By on Thursday, May 22, 2008

"I had two GTIs in Europe before moving to the US (back in the 80s, the old 8 valve, 1781 cc motor) - had a lot of fun with them. Had a WRX before this car - great car, but heavy on gas. I wanted to get better consumption, so bought the Mk V GTI with DSG and the Autobahn package. It has many great points - sweet, powerful engine, better consumption, nice comfortable interior, lots of refinement and style...BUT (you knew there had to be a "but") the traction is AWFUL - the slightest amount of water/snow on the road, or even a moderately brisk takeoff, and the front wheels are spinning like aero propellors. Two things happen - you tend to put the power down very C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y, and the front tires wear quickly, even for a front drive car. It really spoils what would otherwise be a great car."

Very well thought out car

By on Friday, January 11, 2008

"Take your pick from performance driving to highway cruising to in town driving the GTI does it all then begs you for more. I average 32mpg on the highway and 26 in the city. THe car is fast comfortable and loaded with amazing german engineering. No one ever mentions the self leveling HID headlights that illuminate the entire road and never blind oncoming drivers. The standard features are plentifull and the option list well thought out. Give it a look it deserves that much. The entire VW line up is well thought out."

best GTI since the MK1

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"only one word to explain this car once you get into it, " WOW!!!! ". i've owned my GTI since April of 07' and I truly enjoy this car and all the miles that I have put on it ( 13500 to be exact ). the aggressive styling, 18 inch rims, & ya gotta have the sunroof in the California sunshine, are just the right perks that give the GTI some its character. I'm so glad that VW went back to the roots of the car for the mark v platform because it really lets the driver enjoy the aspect of buying a car in the first place; driving. the accessories are easy to operate & dont disturb the drivers concentration from the road, ride is great especially up hills and windy roads, the seats look great as well as perform while your winding up the road by keeping you in them, and I gotta tell ya I get looks from mark iv GTI's, especially when they see that mine is the 4-door model. it really is sporty even having the 2 extra doors. storage room is perfect for my needs and I'm pretty active with sports. It carries all the equipment I need and then some. but the power plant of this car is impressive with the 2.0 liter fsi turbocharged engine. the engine gives me power all the way through the power band at low speeds and pulling to 100 mph or more is just effortless. along with that engine I opted for the DSG auto. it is AWESOME MAN! i could talk about this car all night long. it truly is a great car & I recommend it to anyone that wants a great car with german styling, pizzazz, and a maturity that is isnt found a lot in cars under a 25k price tag. if you want german engineering without a BMW price tag, this car delivers."