2005 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 260 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Bought this car brand new off the show room floor.

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Great car."

"The best vehicle I have ever owned, reliable and inexpensive to operate. No complaints."

BMW Performance at 1/2 the Value

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Driver's car! Sporty, torque, looks, hatch back"

Cons: "MPG, requires high test gas, poor low beams"

"I have owned six GTI's in the past and my '03 VR6 24v is my favorite of the bunch. The car is silly fast and I believe the GTI (2 door) is the best out there for the money. The 6 speed is sharp and crisp, the torque is amazing. While you can't mod it like a 1.8T, the VR6 is better in real world driving as the car pulls in just about any gear. The lines are the best of any GTI in my opinion, the quality of the build is top notch. The interior is comfy, AC is cold and the sound system is better than I need. The sport seats are great and offer great support. On long trips they aren't as good as I would hope, but the car is also 10 years old. The hatchback is a feature I will never be without again. The car is small, but it can hold just about anything with the seat down. I have never had any major maintenance concerns with the car. I run Amsoil in the car and it has never burned a drop. The body still looks amazing with no rust and the paint has held up very well. I have a set of snow tires for the winter and the car is increible in the snow, I don't know why people buy AWD cars. A good set of snows is all you need! I keep saying I am going to go buy a new GTI, but I just can't justify it because I continue to love the VR6 24v. The bad: The gas mileage is AWFUL for a small car. I am lucky to get 25 MPG on the highway and 22 around town. The car also runs high test gas, which I wouldn't mind if it go better mileage. The struts/shocks wore out quickly. Probably because there is so much weight from the VR6 over the front tires."

Love my little GTi

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Performance , reliability, economic."

Cons: "Could use a better sound system"

"This was my second car and i have trouble letting it go! i love everything about this car because it is fast, fun and comfortable at the same time."

Great car.....When it works.

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Reason: Unreliable

Pros: "Fun to drive, Looks, Options."

Cons: "Expensive!!!! Not very reliable."

"I had one of these for over two years. It was a great car, when it worked. I got it cheap because there was a few things wrong with it but wound up putting almost as much as I paid for it into it. With the VR6 motor it sounded great and ran strong. The 5 speed was great but not the best on gas. I loved the look of the car, inside and out and also for the year it had options some cars now still dont have. The only problem was mechanically. In the two years I had it I had to replace 4 wheel bearings, brake booster and master, shifter linkage, e-brake cables, serpentine belt and tensioner, both rear bar bushings, the ignition coil, hood latch, and I could keep going. Being a german car repair was not cheap either. All in all I loved it when it worked and went broke when it didnt."

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "a blast to drive! only 4,000 of these cars made!"

Cons: "keep up with maintnance and take good care of it."

"the only downside is that maintnance is critical! but if you take care of it you wont have any real issues outside of normal wear and tear as any vehicle would. i drive mine as hard as possible everyday! and never even had to put a clutch in. with a stage 1 tune and few other small modifications this little 4 cylinder can and does out run most V8's on the road. runs about a 9.4 in the 1/8th mile. and handles amazing around tight corners and curvey roads! and there's still room for the groceries!!! i doubt that i will ever sell mine, its to cheap and to fun to get rid of! the few times that i have drove it right i got about 29mpg and 22mpg when i have it slammed to the floor leaving rubber behind. cant beat it especially for it to be as fast as it is. but i honestly thought the value would be higher. it has factory Recaro Racing seats, big performance brakes, lowered suspension, 18" O.Z. racing wheels and more all from the factory. not to mention the impressive number plate on the dash surounded by brushed aluminum trim.."