2005 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 262 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Greatest little car ever!

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "QUICK, FUN, ECONOMICAL, SUNROOF, HEATED SEATS"

Cons: "Not a thing"

"This car has been awesome! My father in law bought it from the dealer and I've had it now for about four years. It's quick, fun, reliable, and economic. Never any major problems. Easy to maintain. It has everything you need. 6 disc cd changer, a great monsoon sound system, HEATED SEATS. (great for cold mornings) Love the five speed transmission. Makes it so fun to drive and very easy in traffic for a manual transmission vehicle. I would recommend this car to anyone. A great car!"

A Capricious Car

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Its a VW=Enough Said. Not convinced,then read on.!"

Cons: "CUPHOLDERS=Worst Placement.Only thing found wrong"

"Car: 2003 VW GTI 5 speed-1.8T APR Stage 1 Tune 17" Borbet Rims Chrome tipped straight pipe (Little background) This is my second car to own and I am a University Student. I attend University in a very cold (-15 F avg during the day in winter) ,snowy climate. Bought the vehicle in Texas. ok! So this car is an absolute blast to drive! I fell in Love with it the first time I test drove it. I have never lost the feeling that I'm driving a very Spirited go-cart. It just wants to go, no matter the circumstance. With Performance oriented all-season tires on, the snow and ice pose no threat at all to this frnt wheel driven animal. I never have to plug it in, even though I installed a pan heater just incase. Always starts. The feel when you get when driving it is a complete and utter joy. Tight around the corners and solid at a highway speeds. A $500 APR ECU flash is a highly recommended investment (209 hp > stock '11) resulting in a endless love of your life. You will instantly be converted to a VDub worshiper and will want to join/attend every VW cult meeting/show. Okay, that might be a little extreme but you can't criticize until you've owned one. The exterior looks are Stunning. The stance of the car gives it a sporty look while not standing out of the crowd. Although there is very little difference between it and the base golf Although, with the addition of a nice set of aftermarket rims the whole look automatically transforms. The Interior is great. The blue lit back lighting is beautiful and the seats just hold you like a glove. But in a comfy way. There is an endless amount of possible positions to be set at to fit and size or type of person. I've driven it on multiple 8 hours straight and never come out with a sore back. The back seat entrance is simply Brilliant. The majority (actually Every) of coupes/two cars that I have rid in, that have a back seat entrance, the seat only slides forward and can be a pain to get in and out of. In this car, the seat actually picks up, then slides forward = enough room to get my grandma in the back! The sound system (even though it's not the higher end Monsoon) is a work of art on it's own= 8 speakers. It comes with a stock 200W amp and that is seriously all you need. aside from an aftermarket deck to hook up your iPod = Legit. This has to be one of the most PRACTICAL cars ever. Small, Mobile, Efficient, Spacious, Sporty, Stunning (visually, Usability), Reliable, = VW There is a reason that Volkswagen= Peoples Car. DAS AUTO"

Great classic car with quickness and handling

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "A lot of car for money, ageless design, quality"

Cons: "One might think ride harsh"

"Bought this car about 12K/14 months ago from original owner, a young man who spared no expense keeping it up, modifying it but treating it well. He put thousands in extras: 3" exhaust, light pulleys, intake, coil packs, blow off valve, instruments, powder coating wheels ect. Approx 310 hp. I put on new orange Koni shocks/struts and new vogtland springs which lowered car another 1.5", Plus a nuespeed 28mm rear sway bar, yellow stuff brake pads and cross driled rotors. I use the car for daily driver 2-3 times a week (27mpg), autocrossing and track days. Exhuast is noisy but more in car than outside it seems. Deep, not like those Folger cans kids use. Noise not bad at highway speed. Cruise control great with turbo. Recaro (std) seats are good. Shifting okay but could be better. First gear not easy to get but may need new cables. Still has original clutch which works well. Just put new brake pads on from originals, but autocrossing wears them out quicker. Original owner did major prevent maintenance like new timing belt and water pump. VW (some motors) have weak spot in timing belt. Check to see if it has been replaced. Many owners do not due to $1K cost. If they do not know, then figure you need to do it...or lose the engine. Overall, one of best, fun, attention-getting cars I've owned and I've owned '72 Trans Am, '75 Cosworth Vega, '89 SHO, '68 390 GT Mustang and others. Just be careful who you buy it from and get history if possible."

Fun car. Pain to repair

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Pros: Fun to drive on highway, in traffic, and on the track. Fast, solid engine. Inexpensive to buy. Looks awesome. Handles great (with addition of a rear anti-roll bar). Turbo engine pulls hard and sounds cool. Interior is best in class. All dealers I dealt with across the country were friendly and helpful (I visited dealers in Memphis, Knoxville, Atlanta, Las Vegas,"

Fun Zippy and fuel efficient!

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

"I love my car. It gets between 26 and 34 mpg. with a simple air intake and 3" turbo-back exhaust it really wakes up. I'm not a "street racer", i actually needed to replace the flexpipe @ 50k and decided to just go with another exhaust. The intake was extremely inexpensive...and totally worth it. My original tires lasted for almost 55k. @ 65k Ive had a coil pack go bad (about $180) and brakes."

Great vehicle for fun.

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "fun, fast, handling, trunk, compact"

Cons: "no rear seat space, noisey cabin"

"This vehicle is great if you want to have fun on the drive back and from work. the trunk is pretty big too can fit my golf clubs in there very easily. it handles great and i can pass with ease on the high way. the only faults i have is that i live on a dirt road and its not the most comfortable and the cabin is pretty noisy too. the interior is so/so some parts seem cheap, other parts are very nice! overall this car deserves a 4 out of 5."

Awesome car!

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, looks great, great mpg's for the hp!"

Cons: "Expensive if you cant do maintainance yourself"

"I am a car enthusiast, I have owned many cars in the past few years and rarely keep them longer than a year before I get bored, I have had this car for 2 (almost 3)years and it has been nothing but pleasure, I have read where people say the 1.8T is unreliable and such, I disagree, as long as you perform mantainace when you are supposed to, you will not be let down, mine has a stg2 tune on it (which i HIGHLY recommend), it is quick and an absolute blast to drive, i have put over 30k miles on it since i've owned it (over the course of 2 summers, it never sees snow)and never had any problems. It is quick, it has awesome handleing for a fwd car, and gets good mpg's all while looking good, what more can you ask for?"

Great City car

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, mini pickup with seats down"

Cons: "can't think of any"

"I used this car hard and love it. It's small and nimble, however, fold the seat down and you basically have a compact pick up, and I used it that way quite often. It's quick and fun, I highly recommend this car for anyone needing a practical fun car that can sometimes push the speed limits."

fun to drive, expensive to own, cheap workmanship

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "everything else"

"window fell off track factory sunroof leaked headliner fell down fuel pump failed electronic modules failed ac failed water pump failed compressor failed center console fell apart seat belt plastic trim fell off power window switch broke mirror switch broke am radio failed decals fell off wheels this car was the most fun to drive and the most expensive to own. my last VW, very poor workmanship and lots of lying service technicians. good engine, everything else broke."

Hi! Ho! Silver GTI!.....away!

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive - it gets up and goes"

Cons: "Changing the headlights (Bulbs - tight fit)"

"My version is fully loaded. Great commuter or around the town car - country driving is pleasant with the roof and windows open - responsive when managing thru country roads, traffic and/or careless drivers. Changing the headlights was a bear due to tight engine compartment. Engine and Drivetrain are solid."

it's a very reliable vehicle , resposive

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Reason: repo

Cons: "Bad gas miliage around the city, but 32 MPG on the"

"Quick acceleration the car looks really good and the volks wagon GLI is very safe if you was in a accident."

Was not impressed by this car!

By on Thursday, October 06, 2011

Reason: Wanted a bigger car

"I had very many problems with this car. It was not reliable, turbo kicked in whenever it wanted to and it had a electrical problem! Absolute worse car! Very happy I got rid of it. Will never own a VW again."

this is the best car i had ever owned

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive."

Cons: "two doors , hate to get out to let someone in"

"some one told me not to get the car. i obtained this car in a trade for a motocycle ive had the car for two years with no mechanical problems just maint. love this car would not give it up"

Will be a GTI owner for life

By on Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pros: "fast, fun to drive, thousands of possible modifications, attractive"

"There are few other cars with the potential the Volkswagen gti has. It is already considered a high performance car, which fits perfectly. If your not into performance the car is still very safe and reliable. Yes repairs are expensive. look under the hood of a Volkswagen. almost every part has an Audi crest. look under a Porsche, Audi crests. If you want a cheap car go buy a Honda civic."

Awesome Car

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

"This car with leather, sunroof, and a turbo...awesome! good gas milage, 25-30 depending how I drive it. Wish it had a better cup holder and fog lights though."

i like this car but the repairs are killing me!

By on Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive,"

Cons: "cost to much to repair"

"i bought this car new in 2001. initially this car performed great. i have had repeated repairs on the engine due to a mysterious engine light that keeps coming on. i also had the drain channels from the sun roof plug up and cause serious leaking into the cab. All of these repairs are very expensive. the latest costing $3600 parts and labor all done at the dealer."

Good performance/good mileage

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Great performance for a 1.8"

"Been a great auto"

Best car I have ever owned!

By on Friday, August 12, 2011

"Moving to another country means I will miss this car tons!"

By on Wednesday, May 04, 2011

By on Thursday, April 14, 2011

excellent choice

By on Thursday, April 07, 2011

"i have owned my 1.8t for almost three years now and all i've had to do was tires and oil changes. extremely reliable. fast, especially if you throw on an exhaust, intake, and chip"

By on Sunday, March 20, 2011

Would recomment - but watch needed repairs

By on Thursday, March 17, 2011

"I have mixed feeling about this car. I love to drive it (very fun), parking is easy, this car is fast yet efficient and good on gas, you get all the German perks without the German price. But when it comes to repairs, the cost to repair is on the pricy side; I don't own a Audi, why do I have to pay the Audi repair costs.? One thing to think of with this car is that, in my opinion, the rubber is cheap and become brittle over time. Parts from a dealer and labor to fix this can pricy. I would recommend this car as it has been reliable and it is safe, for a small car (I put my 3-year old in it without thinking twice) - only thing I don't like is the repairs can be pricy. I have owned this 2002 GTI since 2004 (purchased private party), 7-years, and overall, its good car."

By on Thursday, March 17, 2011

"best, most comfortable car i ever had, and im 6'4!"

great car

By on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"I bought this car back in 2009 with 70 thousand miles, and immedietly took care of maintenance work and have not had a single issue with the car at all, now about to hit 100 thousand. great power with the little 1.8t and good gas mileage, best looking hatch around in my opinion"