2004 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 269 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

Looks good...

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, nice on the eye's"

Cons: "Expensive when things break, and they will break"

"I have had this car for almost 5 years now. The car in it's prime was amazing. It was quick for a little 4 cylinder. It looked nice and had awesome features. Almost immediately after the warranty expired things changed. All of the material in the car has become unglued due to the Florida heat. I had to get the roof and door pannels fixed. At 60k miles the turbo started to give me issues. I was able to drive if for a few months before oil began to leak from the turbo. In the end I had to rebuild the turbo. The car looks awesome, but once that warranty expires you're in for some trouble."

Awesome car!

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, looks great, great mpg's for the hp!"

Cons: "Expensive if you cant do maintainance yourself"

"I am a car enthusiast, I have owned many cars in the past few years and rarely keep them longer than a year before I get bored, I have had this car for 2 (almost 3)years and it has been nothing but pleasure, I have read where people say the 1.8T is unreliable and such, I disagree, as long as you perform mantainace when you are supposed to, you will not be let down, mine has a stg2 tune on it (which i HIGHLY recommend), it is quick and an absolute blast to drive, i have put over 30k miles on it since i've owned it (over the course of 2 summers, it never sees snow)and never had any problems. It is quick, it has awesome handleing for a fwd car, and gets good mpg's all while looking good, what more can you ask for?"

excellent choice

By on Thursday, April 07, 2011

"i have owned my 1.8t for almost three years now and all i've had to do was tires and oil changes. extremely reliable. fast, especially if you throw on an exhaust, intake, and chip"

Never Happier

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"I bought this car new while stationed in Germany, and just rolled it past 75K miles. It rolled with the big boys on the autobahn, providing amazing stability and control up to 130 mph. Back in the States now, I still find it a joy to drive and consider it the best new car purchase I've ever made. It's stylish and comfortable, and provides plenty of trunk space too. Its low profile and ample rubber enable it to hug the corners at high speeds and make running the most mundane errands a heart-pumping adrenaline rush. The Monsoon sound system rocks the leather-trimmed cockpit, and the short-throw, 6-speed manual intimately integrates the driver wih the machine. There is no better bargain in the market."

2005 GTI - ROCKS!!

By on Thursday, March 13, 2008

"The 2005 GTI is a ton of fun to drive and it's very economical - great gas milage and very practical for a daily city driver. I don't recommend it on long drives (more than 2 hours) because the seats are sporty "racing type seats" which are great for holding you in while speeding around corners, but not so great for long traveling. I was always very surprised at the amount of space inside the car and trunk,..I could fit 2 to 3 weeks of groceries in the trunk no problem. I also had no trouble fitting plants, soil, and flowers in the trunk. What else can I say, overall, I love this car. I have a 48 month lease on it and I'm considering buying it before the lease is up,...thats how much i like it ;-) I hope this review has been helpful."

BEST IN CLASS

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"I have owned the car for 7 years its a vr6, this is the VW company's best designed engine or one of the best. Over the 7 years it has been tortured its been raced driven for over 15 hours straight. In 7 years it has cost around 1500 in fixes, including water pump and coil and stuppid sensor going off when there is no porblem at all. BEst car for the money and more, i have raced v-8 and actually beat them."

My favorite car so far

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2007

"Saw this car at the NY Auto Show and fell in love. Called my dealer and got on the waiting list. They got 8 of them in. Out of only 1500 for the U.S., that was pretty good. Picked it up in July 2002 and have had a blast ever since. Upgraded ECU to Revo Stage I after 3 years and car is just better than ever. I am at 56000 miles and on my second set of summer tires. I had faulty coil packs in my first year, but they were all replaced under warranty. Did not have any other major faults with the car. Granted I take good care of it. If you can get one, go for it!"

great bang for the buck

By on Saturday, July 28, 2007

"The VW GTI has a quality feel to it that similarly grouped sport compacts (i.e Civic Si, Sentra Spec V, Focus SVT, etc.) just can't come close to matching. Comfort and styling are top notch. I am 6'5" and people routinely ask me how I drive such a small car. They can't believe when I tell them it is easily the most comfortable car I have ever driven, and I've driven MANY different cars over the years. Power and handling are more than sufficent for all but the most hard-core. The mid-range toque makes it feel like a big 6 cyl (I have the 1.8t) which is especially noticable in city and traffic driving. 75+ WOT acceleration leaves a little to be desired, but you shouldn't be driving that fast anyway! :) Reliability has been good overall. People talk trash about volkswagen reliability, but other than regualr maintenance I've spent a total of 105$ on repairs in 3 1/2 years. It's no Corolla in the maintenance dept., but that's not what this car is about. Utility is pretty good for a small car, too. The hatch is bigger than it looks and if you need more room just fold the backseat down. I once fit a 27" TV in the box in the back and was still able to close the hatch. I would recommend this car to just about anyone from the kid who just got his license to my grandmother."

Greatest little car ever!

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "QUICK, FUN, ECONOMICAL, SUNROOF, HEATED SEATS"

Cons: "Not a thing"

"This car has been awesome! My father in law bought it from the dealer and I've had it now for about four years. It's quick, fun, reliable, and economic. Never any major problems. Easy to maintain. It has everything you need. 6 disc cd changer, a great monsoon sound system, HEATED SEATS. (great for cold mornings) Love the five speed transmission. Makes it so fun to drive and very easy in traffic for a manual transmission vehicle. I would recommend this car to anyone. A great car!"

Too bad they don't make them like this anymore

By on Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"I bought my 03 GTI new with 14 miles on it, 7 years and 300,000 miles later it still drives as it did new...amazing performance with the miles. I drive approx 1000 miles a week for work and as long as you purchase a set of winter tires and wheels you'll be set. I plan to keep it until 400K if possible. Some earlier year models had electrical issue with them. I have had to perform standard maintenance with it...and 4 windsheilds...Great car, can't say enough nice things about it."