2004 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 269 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

this is the best car i had ever owned

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive."

Cons: "two doors , hate to get out to let someone in"

"some one told me not to get the car. i obtained this car in a trade for a motocycle ive had the car for two years with no mechanical problems just maint. love this car would not give it up"

Would recomment - but watch needed repairs

By on Thursday, March 17, 2011

"I have mixed feeling about this car. I love to drive it (very fun), parking is easy, this car is fast yet efficient and good on gas, you get all the German perks without the German price. But when it comes to repairs, the cost to repair is on the pricy side; I don't own a Audi, why do I have to pay the Audi repair costs.? One thing to think of with this car is that, in my opinion, the rubber is cheap and become brittle over time. Parts from a dealer and labor to fix this can pricy. I would recommend this car as it has been reliable and it is safe, for a small car (I put my 3-year old in it without thinking twice) - only thing I don't like is the repairs can be pricy. I have owned this 2002 GTI since 2004 (purchased private party), 7-years, and overall, its good car."

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"I bought this car used. It is an absolute joy to drive and I have a big smile on my face everytime I get in. It handles great and when you need a little extra power...it's there. The interior is very comfortable and attractive. I have had problems starting it on very cold mornings and had one (very minor) interior light issue that was easy to fix. Other than that it's been terrific. Would definitely reccomend this car to anyone who wants a sporty, fun-to-drive hatchback with great gas mileage."

Maintenance Nightmare

By on Monday, September 01, 2008

"I loved the car for its style and performance. It really is a fun car to drive. You can see and feel the difference in quality versus other brands. However, it continually breaks down on me. 4 days after driving it off the lot, it was a problem. I have owned it for almost 4 years now and only put about 30k on it. It was in the shop twice in the last 4 months, costing me over $2k in shop fees. I love the car, but the maintenance to keep it on the road are no longer worth it."

fun ride

By on Sunday, February 03, 2008

"great car the 1.8t has tons of torque for such a small car it will get up and go. handling is excellent little body roll slight understeer when pushing hard. breaks are amazing this thing will stop fast with the 312mm front rotors. ride quality is sacrificed for performance. have had to replace catalytic converter went out the day i got the car. a month later the timing belt broke had the entire top end rebult. then the number 2 coil pack went out 2 days after geting the car back from the timeing belt breaking. all was under an extended warranty. i beleve the previous owners had abused the car and that is why stuff is breaking car had 83000miles on it when bought. this might sound like a lemon but is what happens when cars are abused. car now has been runing excellent since most bugs have been fixed."