2002 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 265 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Great car

By on Monday, January 07, 2008

"I have owned this vehicle from 6/03 and it is a great car,it has never left me stranded and gets close to 30mpg on the highway...handling and performance are very good from the 1.8t and you can fit a whole lot in this vehicle with the back seat down.I can say in the past 5 years i have only put apprx $200 in this car.."

Just Great

By on Saturday, January 05, 2008

"What a wonderful car! I had an Acura Integra GS-R before this and the GTI beats it in every catagory! Interior material quality is second to none. It really feels like an A4's little brother, without the price. Interior of the mk5 is fine but the mk4 is better, and much better than the BMW 3. Overall quality is great! The engine was the same as the A4, but with 10 more hp. If you are in the market for a sporty little coupe/hatchback, try it, you will probably buy it! Oh, and gas mileage is good as well!"

sick ride

By on Saturday, December 22, 2007

"sweet car. no prolems. fun to mod and drive."

GTI '05

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"Overall, a very good car. I liked it better than I expected to based on the magazine reviews. I believe that VW made a few changes which made it a much better car than the first years of this model. For instance, initially it was labeled as too soft, but mine definiitely is not. I've had it for 2 1/2 years, and reliability has been exceptional. The ony thing I would change is getting the manual instead of the Tiptronic. I especially like the R32 look-alike multi-spoke wheels."

Avoid

By on Monday, November 12, 2007

"I bought my 2002 VW GTI 1.8T from VW with 34k miles on it, it now has 58k miles on it and have been in and out of VW for repairs the whole time. Alternator, coolant lines, A/C climate control failure, rear speaker failure, door panels not staying on, oil leaks you name it. I bought it from VW with the certification thinking I was buying quality, boy was I wrong. Stay away from VW's!!"

LOVE IT

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2007

"I've had 2003 VR6 6-spd for 2+ yrs., paid under $18K; love it- only problem is clutch repair at 30000+ miles; otherwise only routine maintenance. Love fast, smooth performance, great brakes! Solid feel, luxury interior, excellent sound system, practical and fun- lots of room in back w/ back seat lowered; 30+ mpg highway at 70+ mph- beats most V6's and some V8's- I would probably buy only VW or Audi."

By on Thursday, November 01, 2007

"2nd GTI first was a 2003 that needed a new transmision after 22000 miles. Traded in for a 2005 GTI with 17" wheels and Esc. No problems at 33,ooo miles although the transmission is a little rough between 1st and 2nd gears"

great car

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"The only flaw that his car has is the cloth on the cieling. It would be rubber not cloth. Other than that your getting a lot of bang for your buck. I am convinced this car is truely is a poor man's BMW. It is great."

what else do you need

By on Thursday, October 18, 2007

"I can easily take another 10 grand and get a better car, but the better car would still not get the gas mileage my 2.8 liter VR6 gets so whats better, really the truth is this car is perfect ive went head to head with so called faster cars and left them in the dust do to the perfect torque sweet spot! if you have drivin one enough you would know stand still to highway driving its perfect. There is not that much difference between a VW and an Audi and thats the beauty of it I feel that VW is stuck in between economy and luxury whitch is perfect for me pay a little bit more and get just what I want and keep it for longer im a car guy which is a problem for me until I found my cure ive owned her for three years and if if the engine blows 300,000 miles from now I will replace it because I have found my car for life...."

love this car!!

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

"this car rocks. when i first bought it i was looking for a fast, good looking, reliable car. and i certainly found it. i have had the gti for over a year and have never had a single problem with anything. of course there is the regular rutine keep up, oil changes, tiers. ect. but that is a must with any car. i've put over 20,000 miles on this car since i've had it and i still have had NO problems."

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

Jekyll and Hyde

By on Monday, October 06, 2008

"I bought this car 2 yrs. ago for ten grand. Since then I have replaced (due to failure) the alternator, battery, serpentine belt, window reset on track, pulley tensioner, and had two front shocks rebuilt (see below). The guy who owned the car prior to my purchase installed 17" BBS wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport tires, HID headlights, 2 chassis rollbars (and one across the trunk), a cold air intake, and a set of 4 Bilstein PSS9 coilover fully adjustable shocks (2 grand for the set). Ever since I purchased the vehicle, the check engine light was always on. My mechanic said it was nothing major. I recently purchased a Bosch 80 month battery that exceeds the stock CCA's, and, miraculously, the check engine light has not come back on since (one month now). Beauty inside and out. The bright blue gauges stand out and are easy to see behind the steering wheel. Black leather/dash/mats is nice. When clean this car looks hot ! Mine is red and I find myself staring her down every time I get out. Both the front and back seats are comfortable. Entry/exit is easy and unobtrusive. A real horn ! 6 way front seat adjustability. 1 touch window control. (Small) Sunglass holder on driver side and grab bar for passenger. Performance has been great. With this suspension setup, the car turns on rails, with nary a chirp from the tires. Unfortunately, the redline kicks in (6500rpm) RIGHT after the peak in the powerband (6250 rpm). The car will rev to 7 grand before cutoff, but I try not to do that very often. Third gear is the strongest. Running through the 1st few gears will net a non-economic 17-19 mpg, but baby shift to fifth and cruise at 35-45 mph and you will be rewarded with 27-30mpg. Not bad for 174 HP. Just don't discount the fact that she only drinks Dom Perignon at the pump (premium only!). Performance add-ons are abundant for this car. Ten grand will bump it up to 500 HP, but you can tack on another 75 HP for about 700 bucks. All weather ? Yes ! Slap some rain-x on the windshield and some nice ultra-high performance all season tires (runnin' Continental Extreme right now), and you will find yourself blowing by all other drivers in the hardest of rainfall (just be sure to avoid deep water with the cold air intake!). Rain sensing wipers insure you don't EVER have to adjust them. Heated sideview mirrors melt away frozen rain in the winter, and the heated seats allow me to keep the sunroof open practically all year long. She is heavy enough (never thought I'd say that), that she plows through snow, and stays glued on course. Make sure you put vaseline on the top of the windows in the winter (freezing rain will freeze them shut and 1 touch of the button will drop the track, so when it thaws, BAM! the window will drop into the door). If I had to purchase another brand new car tomorrow, my choices for 20k (not in order) would be GTI, Lancer , or Mazda3. Just be sure to always go with a 5 yr. warranty. I couldn't due to the mods ! My total cost in repairs thus far - 2 grand."

BMW Performance at 1/2 the Value

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Driver's car! Sporty, torque, looks, hatch back"

Cons: "MPG, requires high test gas, poor low beams"

"I have owned six GTI's in the past and my '03 VR6 24v is my favorite of the bunch. The car is silly fast and I believe the GTI (2 door) is the best out there for the money. The 6 speed is sharp and crisp, the torque is amazing. While you can't mod it like a 1.8T, the VR6 is better in real world driving as the car pulls in just about any gear. The lines are the best of any GTI in my opinion, the quality of the build is top notch. The interior is comfy, AC is cold and the sound system is better than I need. The sport seats are great and offer great support. On long trips they aren't as good as I would hope, but the car is also 10 years old. The hatchback is a feature I will never be without again. The car is small, but it can hold just about anything with the seat down. I have never had any major maintenance concerns with the car. I run Amsoil in the car and it has never burned a drop. The body still looks amazing with no rust and the paint has held up very well. I have a set of snow tires for the winter and the car is increible in the snow, I don't know why people buy AWD cars. A good set of snows is all you need! I keep saying I am going to go buy a new GTI, but I just can't justify it because I continue to love the VR6 24v. The bad: The gas mileage is AWFUL for a small car. I am lucky to get 25 MPG on the highway and 22 around town. The car also runs high test gas, which I wouldn't mind if it go better mileage. The struts/shocks wore out quickly. Probably because there is so much weight from the VR6 over the front tires."

Will be a GTI owner for life

By on Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pros: "fast, fun to drive, thousands of possible modifications, attractive"

"There are few other cars with the potential the Volkswagen gti has. It is already considered a high performance car, which fits perfectly. If your not into performance the car is still very safe and reliable. Yes repairs are expensive. look under the hood of a Volkswagen. almost every part has an Audi crest. look under a Porsche, Audi crests. If you want a cheap car go buy a Honda civic."

i like this car but the repairs are killing me!

By on Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive,"

Cons: "cost to much to repair"

"i bought this car new in 2001. initially this car performed great. i have had repeated repairs on the engine due to a mysterious engine light that keeps coming on. i also had the drain channels from the sun roof plug up and cause serious leaking into the cab. All of these repairs are very expensive. the latest costing $3600 parts and labor all done at the dealer."

The Silver Bullet

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Have owned this baby since 2004, and put about 40K miles on it. Still as solid and entertaining as my old 240Z, and the sheet metal is thicker. My only knock? No arm rest for the driver's right arm, but you're supposed to have both hands on the wheel anyways, right? The interior has so many other nice touches, like the accent stitching on the steering wheel and e-brake handle. Best brakes I've ever experienced, and even better than my '07 GTI. It will climb the Cajon Pass at 80 mph in 6th gear, and have plenty of reserve. VW did an awesome job of equipping the 337, and the day I had it chipped and the exhaust downpiped, the owner of the tuner shop showed me exactly what it could do. I guess my kids are right. I do drive like a grandma. Oh well, I pay for the gas and tires."

Dub love

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pros: "Hot hatch handles on rails!"

Cons: "neglect maint. and it will punish you!"

"Take care of her and she will take care of you. I've seen these roll up to 600K YES SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES ON THE ORIGINAL ENGINE!"

love this car, recomend to others.

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "engine, looks, performance, reliability, fun"

Cons: "parts expensive, hard to work on."

"Love my gti 1.8t. Its quick and handled great even when it was stock and is even better after i've modified it. It has been reliable as far as normal wear and tear on a car with 176k on the odometer and very little rust. Love the interior design. Vw deffenitly over engineered this car and it shows. Cons- hard to work on for DIY and parts can be expensive if you dont know were to look. Small back seat. Also there are alot of comon problems with this year so check the forums to know what to look for when buying. Pros- good looking, great ride and handling. The most fun car ive ever owned and even after i have modified it i still get great gas milage and use it to comute to work and college. Also there is alot of trunk space once you fold down the rear seats. This car is worth buying if it is in good condition and has been maintained, but if its in bad condtion id say keep looking for a different one. And if you are planning on buying id recomend one with the cloth recaro seat."

I love this car, this car has made my life!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, amazing"

Cons: "awkward cup holder positioning haha"

"Had alot of problems when i first got car, but needed some simple maintenance and some love and shes reliable and handsdown the best car ive had. Ive come to realize volkswagen are reliable, you just cant neglect doing maintenance like some other car brands, hit your oil changes on time and you wont have a problem. Car is very comfortable, its fast, good gas mileage if your not hitting the boost from the turbo, if you are then expect to burn quite a bit. not as great on gas as other 4 cylinders, but definitely one of the fastest cars on the road a given times. I love it. wont ever sell mine"

You better buy the extra warranty!

By on Sunday, June 28, 2009

"My wife & I have owned our '03 gti 1.8t (tiptronic trans) for 2.5 yrs. now and it's a fun car but can be super expensive to fix if something goes wrong w/ them. Right after we got the car, the water pump took a dump at the 45k miles mark (VW did step up to the plate & fixed that for free; but talked us into getting the timing belt done along w/ it to save us some money down the road... so the belt change was $300 or so). Then 6 months later the alternator went out & left my wife sitting on the side of the hiqhway (that repair was $750 I think... we have an aftermarket warranty that covered most of that though). Last week at the 65.5k miles mark the engine check light kept coming on & off... VW said we needed all new cooling fans and a new Thermostat; $1,250 fix!! OUCH... we had to shell out $600 since the warranty didn't cover all of the costs like the therm. & it's labor (which is a wear & tear item). So, basically it's a super fun car that is comfortable, fast, nimble beyond belief and does get some looks. I suggest you purchase an aftermarket warranty to go along w/ it when you buy one of these mexican made cars used!! My 20 yr old VW Corrado is 10 times more reliable then than this car......"

Only drawback...

By on Friday, November 02, 2007

"...is the maintenance cost. (This applies to VWs in general.) This car takes premium gas only and every time there's a problem with it, you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on repairs and parts. Those parts are expensive! Sport tires, which this car requires, don't last as long as regular tires, and are more expensive. That said, it's a reliable, safe car and fun to drive. I've had mine over four years."

Best car of 36 that I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"Done regular service and still running with original engine (heads/values); transmission and clutch - only replaced water pumps; serpentine belts, brake pads and air filters. Utterly, the most reliable car we've owned - with a big plus on the entertainment side - good and comfortable driver."

It was the best

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Great car"

Cons: "Needs trany work"

"Until some hit me needs trany work. It's all ready out. Has new transaxle new rear end and front end has no hood must sell"

super sour lemon

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

"i bought this in jan of 2013 at 74K ... within 6 months, i had to replace the exhaust (about $400). ok, stuff happens. at november of the same year, i was driving on the highway and, without warning, the timing belt blew. that was at 84k+ ... was told, over the period of a few days, little by little, that i now needed a new engine as the timing belt blowout scarred the valves and ruined the motor. that bill came to $4500 ... i'm in the process of waiting to get it back from repair, but now i'm already anxious to drive it. i love the car, it's fun to drive and looks great, and is the perfect size for me and my needs. but now who knows? i've read online that there was a class action lawsuit in early 2000 re: bad timing belts going without warning and before the required checkup. just a word of warning to those looking to buy: make sure the timing belt is checked, as that will wreak serious havoc on your engine and finances."

It's number #3543 out of 4000 that was shipped

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"My VW has the APR-F04 turbo system, also Air cooling system, also the full HI PO Exhaust, My GTI is a rocket."