• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2001 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 260 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Best car of 36 that I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"Done regular service and still running with original engine (heads/values); transmission and clutch - only replaced water pumps; serpentine belts, brake pads and air filters. Utterly, the most reliable car we've owned - with a big plus on the entertainment side - good and comfortable driver."

It was the best

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Great car"

Cons: "Needs trany work"

"Until some hit me needs trany work. It's all ready out. Has new transaxle new rear end and front end has no hood must sell"

expensive as ---- for an econo mobile

By on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Pros: "Very tuneable. Great aftermarket base."

Cons: "It's from Germany, get it."

"I purchased this car with 57k miles back in 5/2009 because of the availability of aftermarket tuners. I know what this car is capable of and so does everyone else (ricers). The timing belt is weak but it also states that you should change it at 60k. If you go beyond that your surely asking for trouble. Mine's was changed previous to my purchase and I took it to 104k before I blew it up. It cost me between 5 and 7 grand to get it better than before. I basically had it rebuilt from the ground up with all new upgraded parts. Stroker kit (2.0) with h-beam rods and forged pistons, dual race springs/titanium retainers, ARP studs, Ferrara valves, B&G S2 coil overs, Brembo rotors/Hawk HPS pads, Hotchkis swaybar kit f&r, ES poly bushings, Black forest Industries poly engine mount and 3"downpipe w/cat, AWE Tuning 2.5" cat back, F1 Racing stage 2 clutch, Spectre 3"cone filter, 42 Draft Designs solid shifter bushings, Goodridge steel braided brake lines f&r, chip tuned by ? it makes 196whp/237lb ft before the rebuild, and Royal Purple oil. Whew!"

super sour lemon

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

"i bought this in jan of 2013 at 74K ... within 6 months, i had to replace the exhaust (about $400). ok, stuff happens. at november of the same year, i was driving on the highway and, without warning, the timing belt blew. that was at 84k+ ... was told, over the period of a few days, little by little, that i now needed a new engine as the timing belt blowout scarred the valves and ruined the motor. that bill came to $4500 ... i'm in the process of waiting to get it back from repair, but now i'm already anxious to drive it. i love the car, it's fun to drive and looks great, and is the perfect size for me and my needs. but now who knows? i've read online that there was a class action lawsuit in early 2000 re: bad timing belts going without warning and before the required checkup. just a word of warning to those looking to buy: make sure the timing belt is checked, as that will wreak serious havoc on your engine and finances."

best car for teens or twenty somethings

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

"I've had this case 8 years and absolutely love it. It is a little high maintenance due to the need for premium gas and synthetic oil but it's worth it. Mines been a normal 've, with odd quirks. The engine light never gone off lol, but there's nothing wrong with the car. It's been the most reliable car I all conditions, even a paper rout driving 4 hours a day and doing 100 miles a day. I have thought about selling it a couple times for something newer but I work never get the same speed and power for the cost and talk myself out of it every time. It destroys civics, unless they have 5000$ worth of mods. It even keeps up with the majority of muscle cars. It's perfect for the modding types, but really doesn't need anything other then stock power."

Bought this car brand new off the show room floor.

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Great car."

"The best vehicle I have ever owned, reliable and inexpensive to operate. No complaints."

BMW Performance at 1/2 the Value

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Driver's car! Sporty, torque, looks, hatch back"

Cons: "MPG, requires high test gas, poor low beams"

"I have owned six GTI's in the past and my '03 VR6 24v is my favorite of the bunch. The car is silly fast and I believe the GTI (2 door) is the best out there for the money. The 6 speed is sharp and crisp, the torque is amazing. While you can't mod it like a 1.8T, the VR6 is better in real world driving as the car pulls in just about any gear. The lines are the best of any GTI in my opinion, the quality of the build is top notch. The interior is comfy, AC is cold and the sound system is better than I need. The sport seats are great and offer great support. On long trips they aren't as good as I would hope, but the car is also 10 years old. The hatchback is a feature I will never be without again. The car is small, but it can hold just about anything with the seat down. I have never had any major maintenance concerns with the car. I run Amsoil in the car and it has never burned a drop. The body still looks amazing with no rust and the paint has held up very well. I have a set of snow tires for the winter and the car is increible in the snow, I don't know why people buy AWD cars. A good set of snows is all you need! I keep saying I am going to go buy a new GTI, but I just can't justify it because I continue to love the VR6 24v. The bad: The gas mileage is AWFUL for a small car. I am lucky to get 25 MPG on the highway and 22 around town. The car also runs high test gas, which I wouldn't mind if it go better mileage. The struts/shocks wore out quickly. Probably because there is so much weight from the VR6 over the front tires."

Love my little GTi

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Performance , reliability, economic."

Cons: "Could use a better sound system"

"This was my second car and i have trouble letting it go! i love everything about this car because it is fast, fun and comfortable at the same time."

Great car.....When it works.

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Reason: Unreliable

Pros: "Fun to drive, Looks, Options."

Cons: "Expensive!!!! Not very reliable."

"I had one of these for over two years. It was a great car, when it worked. I got it cheap because there was a few things wrong with it but wound up putting almost as much as I paid for it into it. With the VR6 motor it sounded great and ran strong. The 5 speed was great but not the best on gas. I loved the look of the car, inside and out and also for the year it had options some cars now still dont have. The only problem was mechanically. In the two years I had it I had to replace 4 wheel bearings, brake booster and master, shifter linkage, e-brake cables, serpentine belt and tensioner, both rear bar bushings, the ignition coil, hood latch, and I could keep going. Being a german car repair was not cheap either. All in all I loved it when it worked and went broke when it didnt."

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "a blast to drive! only 4,000 of these cars made!"

Cons: "keep up with maintnance and take good care of it."

"the only downside is that maintnance is critical! but if you take care of it you wont have any real issues outside of normal wear and tear as any vehicle would. i drive mine as hard as possible everyday! and never even had to put a clutch in. with a stage 1 tune and few other small modifications this little 4 cylinder can and does out run most V8's on the road. runs about a 9.4 in the 1/8th mile. and handles amazing around tight corners and curvey roads! and there's still room for the groceries!!! i doubt that i will ever sell mine, its to cheap and to fun to get rid of! the few times that i have drove it right i got about 29mpg and 22mpg when i have it slammed to the floor leaving rubber behind. cant beat it especially for it to be as fast as it is. but i honestly thought the value would be higher. it has factory Recaro Racing seats, big performance brakes, lowered suspension, 18" O.Z. racing wheels and more all from the factory. not to mention the impressive number plate on the dash surounded by brushed aluminum trim.."

2003 GTI

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Stylish, fun, fast, exciting, good mpgs"

Cons: "All your friends ask to drive your car!!!"

"I love every aspect of this car. Best VW ever made in my opinion."

I love this car, this car has made my life!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, amazing"

Cons: "awkward cup holder positioning haha"

"Had alot of problems when i first got car, but needed some simple maintenance and some love and shes reliable and handsdown the best car ive had. Ive come to realize volkswagen are reliable, you just cant neglect doing maintenance like some other car brands, hit your oil changes on time and you wont have a problem. Car is very comfortable, its fast, good gas mileage if your not hitting the boost from the turbo, if you are then expect to burn quite a bit. not as great on gas as other 4 cylinders, but definitely one of the fastest cars on the road a given times. I love it. wont ever sell mine"

Maintenance Upgrades = Fantastic daily driver!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, but upgrade the ECU for more power!"

Cons: "Heavy for a small car, expensive, turbo issues."

"I leased this car new in 2003 and have loved every mile I've driven it. I made sure it had all of the extras (leather, moon roof, premium sound, cold weather package, etc.) and it was worth every penny. My only serious gripe has been about the turbo. The stock turbo gives the car 180 HP, but is a bit laggy. And actually, mine failed at around 75K miles. Ironically, this was also just after I paid it off, having purchased it off the original lease. Fortunately, I bought an extended warrantee and had it fixed for under a $700. Another minor gripe is the interior. Many parts are PVC plastic, coated with a rubbery finish. After 7-8 years mine started peeling in several places and I've had to buy replacements. Since 2010 I've made some long-overdue upgrades that make the car SO much better: iPod integration, ECU chip upgrade (now pushing 210 HP), much better tires. I also made some easy cosmetic tweaks such as swapping the rear wiper for the sleeker Mark 5 version, getting a shorter antenna mast and swapping the front parking light lenses from amber to crystal. If I would have had the money I would have done all of the above sooner. I love the Long Beach style wheels it came with but would like to get them refurbished and powder coated. I've also purchased glass headlight replacement lenses, but I'm waiting for summer (and a trip to the detail shop) before installing them. I will probably keep this car for another 100K if I can. It's been garaged since new, and I just can't justify a car payment for anything that would compare to it. A 2013 GTI R, or BMW M3 is tempting, but why spend the money? My car is still fun, practical and paid for."

I LOVE MY GTI!!!

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "FAST,FUN,RELIABLE,GREAT ON GAS!!!"

Cons: "Expensive replacement parts and suspension build."

"I have loved my car since the day i got it. It has a few upgrades on her and shes a rocket!!!! I broke a few things on it and they were spendy but i will tell you that if you are worried about spending money on this car DONT BUY ONE because they are very pricey for alot of things like my $200 in dash cup holder... SO I LOVE MY CAR but there not cheap."

Looks good...

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, nice on the eye's"

Cons: "Expensive when things break, and they will break"

"I have had this car for almost 5 years now. The car in it's prime was amazing. It was quick for a little 4 cylinder. It looked nice and had awesome features. Almost immediately after the warranty expired things changed. All of the material in the car has become unglued due to the Florida heat. I had to get the roof and door pannels fixed. At 60k miles the turbo started to give me issues. I was able to drive if for a few months before oil began to leak from the turbo. In the end I had to rebuild the turbo. The car looks awesome, but once that warranty expires you're in for some trouble."

great until you need to do basic maintanence.

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "fuel eco. fun to drive"

Cons: "expensive to have work done"

"Ive had this car now for about 5 years and I enjoy it very much for my basic daily driver.... It has been very dependable so far. The goods: quick- excellent if you do alot of city driving and need to adjel :) good fuel millage- I average 30-32mpg. Fun- the factory recaro seats form to all drivers with many adjustments, and are also heated makes you form to the car making you want to speed all the time lol... The bads: Absolutly the worst car in the winter even with snow tires and EPS ( the brakes pulse in such a way to keep your car out of a skid) more than once it almost got me into an accident. Expensive- very expensive to have ANY type of work done and I do mean any and all! figure double."

Absurdly Great Car for the money

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

"Great engine. Ride height low enough to be sporty, high enough not to scrape every driveway in town. Pros - Engine, Handling, Seats, Stereo, Visibility, Utility, Fun to Drive, Drives like a much more expensive car Cons - adequate gas mileage, every plastic latch has broken and been replaced, clutch and flywheel lasted less than 50k miles"

Owned this car for 10 good years

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, great touring car"

Cons: "They don't build this body anymore..."

"This has been a great car. Only issue with it was a power window safety device about a year into my ownership. Dealer recall handled that and it's worked perfectly in the subsequent years since 2003 - and I still own the car. Mileage declined a bit around 100K miles, had some tuneup work done by dealership and now mileage is even better than when the car was new. I guess they reprogrammed the chip or something when they put new plugs and stuff on it. Rubber hoses started to deteriorate at age 10 years so just replaced those too. Ran autocross with car for a year or two and even that hasn't hurt this German jewel! What a value this car has been... I love my heated seats too! Also, I put a hitch on to tow a light trailer with 500 pound moto- no problems. Zero, zip! Great car.. buy one!"

Best German sport aconomic vehicle out there!!

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "Horse power and style"

Cons: "little space in the back"

"This car has it all....If you like Power,speed, looks and economy then this is your car. I've owned VW all my life and have no complains on none of them, but this one is a step up for VW performance. It has a unique interior design that makes you fill like in a drift/race car and once you start your trip it is so smooth. The turbo charged engine asks nothing to the power of an 8 cylinder and the 6th gear leaves everybody on the freeway with their mouth open! I think Blue Book should bump up the value....just a thought..lol"

Best car I've ever driven!

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "fast good on gas. very good looking."

Cons: "none."

"Wow this car is an amazing little 4 cyl very very powerful and fun. great handling. has a great monsoon sound system. People always want to race me with their little Hondas but they cant handle it haha. this is a great car i love it."

The car is one of the best vehicles i've owned!!

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

"The car is a great vehicle for anybody. The 2.8L engine is really great! Is has great power and torque when you want,but yet the fuel efficiency is amazing!! I highly recommend this car to anyone!!"

Fastest car vever

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Fast, fun to drive, sporty"

"Its a very quick car with a lot of torque. So light and quick. I love its handling and driving dynamics. Its super safe and strong. Very sporty and ready to be modified."

Never want to get rid of this car

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, fast, safe"

Cons: "awful cup holders, repair prices"

"I purchased this vehicle in early 2008 from a dealer in San Diego. The car had been on the lot for over a year and only had 40,000 miles. The stock interior is nice, I have since replaced the floor mats and replaced them with nice aftermarket mats. The Monsoon sounds system is great but I also replaced the radio, the stock radio worked great but it was a bit dated. Passengers in the back seats may be a bit squished, but the car has a lot more space than you would think. By taking out the back seats (a very simple task, just pull the tabs on the seats) you can fit nearly anything in the car. The exterior of the car is very slick and hides the fact that you are actually driving a powerful car. Once you put your foot to the floor you are thrown back in your seat, sadly the suspension allows the car to rock back a bit much, and you can take curves at high speed. The brakes are wonderful and can stop on a dime. I have installed a cold air intake on the vehicle and it increased the gas mileage, but even before the cold air intake I got better than the 19/27 gas mileage listed here. The heater works like a dream and the heated seats are a nice touch. The AC can take a few minutes to get going, but once it is it provides ice cold air. I have never had any problems with this car. As long as you stick to the 60K and 90K tune ups that VW recommends you shouldn't have any problems. The only con I find with the car is the cup holders, oh good Lord the cup holders. Located at the top of the dash, directly above the radio, are the cup holders. They are hidden in the dash and you push them so they pop out. Sadly, they fall directly over the radio and if you have a cup in them, the cup will hit buttons on the radio. Not only do they hit the radio, but if you have a bigger drink it is liable to fall out if you need to rapidly accelerate. I have added new cup holders by replacing the center console, but I wish that hadn't been necessary. Not quite a con, but VWs are more expensive to replace than most vehicles. I knew this going in, but it could be a deal breaker for others."

Greatest little car ever!

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "QUICK, FUN, ECONOMICAL, SUNROOF, HEATED SEATS"

Cons: "Not a thing"

"This car has been awesome! My father in law bought it from the dealer and I've had it now for about four years. It's quick, fun, reliable, and economic. Never any major problems. Easy to maintain. It has everything you need. 6 disc cd changer, a great monsoon sound system, HEATED SEATS. (great for cold mornings) Love the five speed transmission. Makes it so fun to drive and very easy in traffic for a manual transmission vehicle. I would recommend this car to anyone. A great car!"

A Capricious Car

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Its a VW=Enough Said. Not convinced,then read on.!"

Cons: "CUPHOLDERS=Worst Placement.Only thing found wrong"

"Car: 2003 VW GTI 5 speed-1.8T APR Stage 1 Tune 17" Borbet Rims Chrome tipped straight pipe (Little background) This is my second car to own and I am a University Student. I attend University in a very cold (-15 F avg during the day in winter) ,snowy climate. Bought the vehicle in Texas. ok! So this car is an absolute blast to drive! I fell in Love with it the first time I test drove it. I have never lost the feeling that I'm driving a very Spirited go-cart. It just wants to go, no matter the circumstance. With Performance oriented all-season tires on, the snow and ice pose no threat at all to this frnt wheel driven animal. I never have to plug it in, even though I installed a pan heater just incase. Always starts. The feel when you get when driving it is a complete and utter joy. Tight around the corners and solid at a highway speeds. A $500 APR ECU flash is a highly recommended investment (209 hp > stock '11) resulting in a endless love of your life. You will instantly be converted to a VDub worshiper and will want to join/attend every VW cult meeting/show. Okay, that might be a little extreme but you can't criticize until you've owned one. The exterior looks are Stunning. The stance of the car gives it a sporty look while not standing out of the crowd. Although there is very little difference between it and the base golf Although, with the addition of a nice set of aftermarket rims the whole look automatically transforms. The Interior is great. The blue lit back lighting is beautiful and the seats just hold you like a glove. But in a comfy way. There is an endless amount of possible positions to be set at to fit and size or type of person. I've driven it on multiple 8 hours straight and never come out with a sore back. The back seat entrance is simply Brilliant. The majority (actually Every) of coupes/two cars that I have rid in, that have a back seat entrance, the seat only slides forward and can be a pain to get in and out of. In this car, the seat actually picks up, then slides forward = enough room to get my grandma in the back! The sound system (even though it's not the higher end Monsoon) is a work of art on it's own= 8 speakers. It comes with a stock 200W amp and that is seriously all you need. aside from an aftermarket deck to hook up your iPod = Legit. This has to be one of the most PRACTICAL cars ever. Small, Mobile, Efficient, Spacious, Sporty, Stunning (visually, Usability), Reliable, = VW There is a reason that Volkswagen= Peoples Car. DAS AUTO"