2001 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 266 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

No Problems. Ever.

By on Sunday, August 31, 2008

"I bought this car new and have had it for almost 6 years. As far as reliablility is concerned, this car is the best I have ever owned. I have not had a single problem with this car. No squeaks, no engine problems, no broken off plastic bits, nothing at all...and this car has over 85000 miles! All I do is take it in for its scheduled maintenance and it rewards me with rock solid dependability. Engine (VR6) is smooth and can move the car quickly when needed. Always sufficient power on tap. Fun car to drive around in. Interior is elegant and durable. Dash/window sills are still as black as it was when I first bought the car, leather has stayed nice and is of high quality. If I must find fault with this car... There might be legroom problems if you happen to be on the tall side. I, however, am 6'3" but don't mind the tight space because I prefer a very forward and upright driving position. Not everyone finds this a comfortable position though. There are three areas where the car has begun to wear: 1)steering wheel leather has lost its luster 2)side bulster has worn from rubbing when exiting car 3)driver side door handle is peeling a bit from use. Clutch is a little rubbery and takes a little more effort to shift than other cars (eg Acura), but it's an adjustment that can be easily made after a little time with the car. Minor problems in my book, and probably common to all cars driven over 85000 miles."

best car for teens or twenty somethings

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

"I've had this case 8 years and absolutely love it. It is a little high maintenance due to the need for premium gas and synthetic oil but it's worth it. Mines been a normal 've, with odd quirks. The engine light never gone off lol, but there's nothing wrong with the car. It's been the most reliable car I all conditions, even a paper rout driving 4 hours a day and doing 100 miles a day. I have thought about selling it a couple times for something newer but I work never get the same speed and power for the cost and talk myself out of it every time. It destroys civics, unless they have 5000$ worth of mods. It even keeps up with the majority of muscle cars. It's perfect for the modding types, but really doesn't need anything other then stock power."

Great car.....When it works.

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Reason: Unreliable

Pros: "Fun to drive, Looks, Options."

Cons: "Expensive!!!! Not very reliable."

"I had one of these for over two years. It was a great car, when it worked. I got it cheap because there was a few things wrong with it but wound up putting almost as much as I paid for it into it. With the VR6 motor it sounded great and ran strong. The 5 speed was great but not the best on gas. I loved the look of the car, inside and out and also for the year it had options some cars now still dont have. The only problem was mechanically. In the two years I had it I had to replace 4 wheel bearings, brake booster and master, shifter linkage, e-brake cables, serpentine belt and tensioner, both rear bar bushings, the ignition coil, hood latch, and I could keep going. Being a german car repair was not cheap either. All in all I loved it when it worked and went broke when it didnt."

Great Styling

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"I love the way it looks, but it had a few recall issues the power windows (fell into the doors 3 times). Had problems with the coils (recall) Had problems twice with the air conditoner not working. The plastic trim around the dash and on the inside doors peels away a top layer. The moon roof drains stopped up and flooded the carpet and ceiling liner."

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "a blast to drive! only 4,000 of these cars made!"

Cons: "keep up with maintnance and take good care of it."

"the only downside is that maintnance is critical! but if you take care of it you wont have any real issues outside of normal wear and tear as any vehicle would. i drive mine as hard as possible everyday! and never even had to put a clutch in. with a stage 1 tune and few other small modifications this little 4 cylinder can and does out run most V8's on the road. runs about a 9.4 in the 1/8th mile. and handles amazing around tight corners and curvey roads! and there's still room for the groceries!!! i doubt that i will ever sell mine, its to cheap and to fun to get rid of! the few times that i have drove it right i got about 29mpg and 22mpg when i have it slammed to the floor leaving rubber behind. cant beat it especially for it to be as fast as it is. but i honestly thought the value would be higher. it has factory Recaro Racing seats, big performance brakes, lowered suspension, 18" O.Z. racing wheels and more all from the factory. not to mention the impressive number plate on the dash surounded by brushed aluminum trim.."

Maintenance Upgrades = Fantastic daily driver!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, but upgrade the ECU for more power!"

Cons: "Heavy for a small car, expensive, turbo issues."

"I leased this car new in 2003 and have loved every mile I've driven it. I made sure it had all of the extras (leather, moon roof, premium sound, cold weather package, etc.) and it was worth every penny. My only serious gripe has been about the turbo. The stock turbo gives the car 180 HP, but is a bit laggy. And actually, mine failed at around 75K miles. Ironically, this was also just after I paid it off, having purchased it off the original lease. Fortunately, I bought an extended warrantee and had it fixed for under a $700. Another minor gripe is the interior. Many parts are PVC plastic, coated with a rubbery finish. After 7-8 years mine started peeling in several places and I've had to buy replacements. Since 2010 I've made some long-overdue upgrades that make the car SO much better: iPod integration, ECU chip upgrade (now pushing 210 HP), much better tires. I also made some easy cosmetic tweaks such as swapping the rear wiper for the sleeker Mark 5 version, getting a shorter antenna mast and swapping the front parking light lenses from amber to crystal. If I would have had the money I would have done all of the above sooner. I love the Long Beach style wheels it came with but would like to get them refurbished and powder coated. I've also purchased glass headlight replacement lenses, but I'm waiting for summer (and a trip to the detail shop) before installing them. I will probably keep this car for another 100K if I can. It's been garaged since new, and I just can't justify a car payment for anything that would compare to it. A 2013 GTI R, or BMW M3 is tempting, but why spend the money? My car is still fun, practical and paid for."

this is the best car i had ever owned

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive."

Cons: "two doors , hate to get out to let someone in"

"some one told me not to get the car. i obtained this car in a trade for a motocycle ive had the car for two years with no mechanical problems just maint. love this car would not give it up"

Would recomment - but watch needed repairs

By on Thursday, March 17, 2011

"I have mixed feeling about this car. I love to drive it (very fun), parking is easy, this car is fast yet efficient and good on gas, you get all the German perks without the German price. But when it comes to repairs, the cost to repair is on the pricy side; I don't own a Audi, why do I have to pay the Audi repair costs.? One thing to think of with this car is that, in my opinion, the rubber is cheap and become brittle over time. Parts from a dealer and labor to fix this can pricy. I would recommend this car as it has been reliable and it is safe, for a small car (I put my 3-year old in it without thinking twice) - only thing I don't like is the repairs can be pricy. I have owned this 2002 GTI since 2004 (purchased private party), 7-years, and overall, its good car."

Maintenance Nightmare

By on Monday, September 01, 2008

"I loved the car for its style and performance. It really is a fun car to drive. You can see and feel the difference in quality versus other brands. However, it continually breaks down on me. 4 days after driving it off the lot, it was a problem. I have owned it for almost 4 years now and only put about 30k on it. It was in the shop twice in the last 4 months, costing me over $2k in shop fees. I love the car, but the maintenance to keep it on the road are no longer worth it."

Looks good...

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, nice on the eye's"

Cons: "Expensive when things break, and they will break"

"I have had this car for almost 5 years now. The car in it's prime was amazing. It was quick for a little 4 cylinder. It looked nice and had awesome features. Almost immediately after the warranty expired things changed. All of the material in the car has become unglued due to the Florida heat. I had to get the roof and door pannels fixed. At 60k miles the turbo started to give me issues. I was able to drive if for a few months before oil began to leak from the turbo. In the end I had to rebuild the turbo. The car looks awesome, but once that warranty expires you're in for some trouble."