2001 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 260 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

The car is one of the best vehicles i've owned!!

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

"The car is a great vehicle for anybody. The 2.8L engine is really great! Is has great power and torque when you want,but yet the fuel efficiency is amazing!! I highly recommend this car to anyone!!"

Fastest car vever

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Fast, fun to drive, sporty"

"Its a very quick car with a lot of torque. So light and quick. I love its handling and driving dynamics. Its super safe and strong. Very sporty and ready to be modified."

Never want to get rid of this car

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, fast, safe"

Cons: "awful cup holders, repair prices"

"I purchased this vehicle in early 2008 from a dealer in San Diego. The car had been on the lot for over a year and only had 40,000 miles. The stock interior is nice, I have since replaced the floor mats and replaced them with nice aftermarket mats. The Monsoon sounds system is great but I also replaced the radio, the stock radio worked great but it was a bit dated. Passengers in the back seats may be a bit squished, but the car has a lot more space than you would think. By taking out the back seats (a very simple task, just pull the tabs on the seats) you can fit nearly anything in the car. The exterior of the car is very slick and hides the fact that you are actually driving a powerful car. Once you put your foot to the floor you are thrown back in your seat, sadly the suspension allows the car to rock back a bit much, and you can take curves at high speed. The brakes are wonderful and can stop on a dime. I have installed a cold air intake on the vehicle and it increased the gas mileage, but even before the cold air intake I got better than the 19/27 gas mileage listed here. The heater works like a dream and the heated seats are a nice touch. The AC can take a few minutes to get going, but once it is it provides ice cold air. I have never had any problems with this car. As long as you stick to the 60K and 90K tune ups that VW recommends you shouldn't have any problems. The only con I find with the car is the cup holders, oh good Lord the cup holders. Located at the top of the dash, directly above the radio, are the cup holders. They are hidden in the dash and you push them so they pop out. Sadly, they fall directly over the radio and if you have a cup in them, the cup will hit buttons on the radio. Not only do they hit the radio, but if you have a bigger drink it is liable to fall out if you need to rapidly accelerate. I have added new cup holders by replacing the center console, but I wish that hadn't been necessary. Not quite a con, but VWs are more expensive to replace than most vehicles. I knew this going in, but it could be a deal breaker for others."

Greatest little car ever!

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "QUICK, FUN, ECONOMICAL, SUNROOF, HEATED SEATS"

Cons: "Not a thing"

"This car has been awesome! My father in law bought it from the dealer and I've had it now for about four years. It's quick, fun, reliable, and economic. Never any major problems. Easy to maintain. It has everything you need. 6 disc cd changer, a great monsoon sound system, HEATED SEATS. (great for cold mornings) Love the five speed transmission. Makes it so fun to drive and very easy in traffic for a manual transmission vehicle. I would recommend this car to anyone. A great car!"

A Capricious Car

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Its a VW=Enough Said. Not convinced,then read on.!"

Cons: "CUPHOLDERS=Worst Placement.Only thing found wrong"

"Car: 2003 VW GTI 5 speed-1.8T APR Stage 1 Tune 17" Borbet Rims Chrome tipped straight pipe (Little background) This is my second car to own and I am a University Student. I attend University in a very cold (-15 F avg during the day in winter) ,snowy climate. Bought the vehicle in Texas. ok! So this car is an absolute blast to drive! I fell in Love with it the first time I test drove it. I have never lost the feeling that I'm driving a very Spirited go-cart. It just wants to go, no matter the circumstance. With Performance oriented all-season tires on, the snow and ice pose no threat at all to this frnt wheel driven animal. I never have to plug it in, even though I installed a pan heater just incase. Always starts. The feel when you get when driving it is a complete and utter joy. Tight around the corners and solid at a highway speeds. A $500 APR ECU flash is a highly recommended investment (209 hp > stock '11) resulting in a endless love of your life. You will instantly be converted to a VDub worshiper and will want to join/attend every VW cult meeting/show. Okay, that might be a little extreme but you can't criticize until you've owned one. The exterior looks are Stunning. The stance of the car gives it a sporty look while not standing out of the crowd. Although there is very little difference between it and the base golf Although, with the addition of a nice set of aftermarket rims the whole look automatically transforms. The Interior is great. The blue lit back lighting is beautiful and the seats just hold you like a glove. But in a comfy way. There is an endless amount of possible positions to be set at to fit and size or type of person. I've driven it on multiple 8 hours straight and never come out with a sore back. The back seat entrance is simply Brilliant. The majority (actually Every) of coupes/two cars that I have rid in, that have a back seat entrance, the seat only slides forward and can be a pain to get in and out of. In this car, the seat actually picks up, then slides forward = enough room to get my grandma in the back! The sound system (even though it's not the higher end Monsoon) is a work of art on it's own= 8 speakers. It comes with a stock 200W amp and that is seriously all you need. aside from an aftermarket deck to hook up your iPod = Legit. This has to be one of the most PRACTICAL cars ever. Small, Mobile, Efficient, Spacious, Sporty, Stunning (visually, Usability), Reliable, = VW There is a reason that Volkswagen= Peoples Car. DAS AUTO"

Great classic car with quickness and handling

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "A lot of car for money, ageless design, quality"

Cons: "One might think ride harsh"

"Bought this car about 12K/14 months ago from original owner, a young man who spared no expense keeping it up, modifying it but treating it well. He put thousands in extras: 3" exhaust, light pulleys, intake, coil packs, blow off valve, instruments, powder coating wheels ect. Approx 310 hp. I put on new orange Koni shocks/struts and new vogtland springs which lowered car another 1.5", Plus a nuespeed 28mm rear sway bar, yellow stuff brake pads and cross driled rotors. I use the car for daily driver 2-3 times a week (27mpg), autocrossing and track days. Exhuast is noisy but more in car than outside it seems. Deep, not like those Folger cans kids use. Noise not bad at highway speed. Cruise control great with turbo. Recaro (std) seats are good. Shifting okay but could be better. First gear not easy to get but may need new cables. Still has original clutch which works well. Just put new brake pads on from originals, but autocrossing wears them out quicker. Original owner did major prevent maintenance like new timing belt and water pump. VW (some motors) have weak spot in timing belt. Check to see if it has been replaced. Many owners do not due to $1K cost. If they do not know, then figure you need to do it...or lose the engine. Overall, one of best, fun, attention-getting cars I've owned and I've owned '72 Trans Am, '75 Cosworth Vega, '89 SHO, '68 390 GT Mustang and others. Just be careful who you buy it from and get history if possible."

Fun car. Pain to repair

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Pros: Fun to drive on highway, in traffic, and on the track. Fast, solid engine. Inexpensive to buy. Looks awesome. Handles great (with addition of a rear anti-roll bar). Turbo engine pulls hard and sounds cool. Interior is best in class. All dealers I dealt with across the country were friendly and helpful (I visited dealers in Memphis, Knoxville, Atlanta, Las Vegas,"

Fun Zippy and fuel efficient!

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

"I love my car. It gets between 26 and 34 mpg. with a simple air intake and 3" turbo-back exhaust it really wakes up. I'm not a "street racer", i actually needed to replace the flexpipe @ 50k and decided to just go with another exhaust. The intake was extremely inexpensive...and totally worth it. My original tires lasted for almost 55k. @ 65k Ive had a coil pack go bad (about $180) and brakes."

Great vehicle for fun.

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "fun, fast, handling, trunk, compact"

Cons: "no rear seat space, noisey cabin"

"This vehicle is great if you want to have fun on the drive back and from work. the trunk is pretty big too can fit my golf clubs in there very easily. it handles great and i can pass with ease on the high way. the only faults i have is that i live on a dirt road and its not the most comfortable and the cabin is pretty noisy too. the interior is so/so some parts seem cheap, other parts are very nice! overall this car deserves a 4 out of 5."

Awesome car!

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, looks great, great mpg's for the hp!"

Cons: "Expensive if you cant do maintainance yourself"

"I am a car enthusiast, I have owned many cars in the past few years and rarely keep them longer than a year before I get bored, I have had this car for 2 (almost 3)years and it has been nothing but pleasure, I have read where people say the 1.8T is unreliable and such, I disagree, as long as you perform mantainace when you are supposed to, you will not be let down, mine has a stg2 tune on it (which i HIGHLY recommend), it is quick and an absolute blast to drive, i have put over 30k miles on it since i've owned it (over the course of 2 summers, it never sees snow)and never had any problems. It is quick, it has awesome handleing for a fwd car, and gets good mpg's all while looking good, what more can you ask for?"

See if you qualify for