2001 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 259 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

It was the best

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Great car"

Cons: "Needs trany work"

"Until some hit me needs trany work. It's all ready out. Has new transaxle new rear end and front end has no hood must sell"

expensive as ---- for an econo mobile

By on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Pros: "Very tuneable. Great aftermarket base."

Cons: "It's from Germany, get it."

"I purchased this car with 57k miles back in 5/2009 because of the availability of aftermarket tuners. I know what this car is capable of and so does everyone else (ricers). The timing belt is weak but it also states that you should change it at 60k. If you go beyond that your surely asking for trouble. Mine's was changed previous to my purchase and I took it to 104k before I blew it up. It cost me between 5 and 7 grand to get it better than before. I basically had it rebuilt from the ground up with all new upgraded parts. Stroker kit (2.0) with h-beam rods and forged pistons, dual race springs/titanium retainers, ARP studs, Ferrara valves, B&G S2 coil overs, Brembo rotors/Hawk HPS pads, Hotchkis swaybar kit f&r, ES poly bushings, Black forest Industries poly engine mount and 3"downpipe w/cat, AWE Tuning 2.5" cat back, F1 Racing stage 2 clutch, Spectre 3"cone filter, 42 Draft Designs solid shifter bushings, Goodridge steel braided brake lines f&r, chip tuned by ? it makes 196whp/237lb ft before the rebuild, and Royal Purple oil. Whew!"

super sour lemon

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

"i bought this in jan of 2013 at 74K ... within 6 months, i had to replace the exhaust (about $400). ok, stuff happens. at november of the same year, i was driving on the highway and, without warning, the timing belt blew. that was at 84k+ ... was told, over the period of a few days, little by little, that i now needed a new engine as the timing belt blowout scarred the valves and ruined the motor. that bill came to $4500 ... i'm in the process of waiting to get it back from repair, but now i'm already anxious to drive it. i love the car, it's fun to drive and looks great, and is the perfect size for me and my needs. but now who knows? i've read online that there was a class action lawsuit in early 2000 re: bad timing belts going without warning and before the required checkup. just a word of warning to those looking to buy: make sure the timing belt is checked, as that will wreak serious havoc on your engine and finances."

best car for teens or twenty somethings

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

"I've had this case 8 years and absolutely love it. It is a little high maintenance due to the need for premium gas and synthetic oil but it's worth it. Mines been a normal 've, with odd quirks. The engine light never gone off lol, but there's nothing wrong with the car. It's been the most reliable car I all conditions, even a paper rout driving 4 hours a day and doing 100 miles a day. I have thought about selling it a couple times for something newer but I work never get the same speed and power for the cost and talk myself out of it every time. It destroys civics, unless they have 5000$ worth of mods. It even keeps up with the majority of muscle cars. It's perfect for the modding types, but really doesn't need anything other then stock power."

Bought this car brand new off the show room floor.

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Great car."

"The best vehicle I have ever owned, reliable and inexpensive to operate. No complaints."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25