2000 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 262 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Great car.....When it works.

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Reason: Unreliable

Pros: "Fun to drive, Looks, Options."

Cons: "Expensive!!!! Not very reliable."

"I had one of these for over two years. It was a great car, when it worked. I got it cheap because there was a few things wrong with it but wound up putting almost as much as I paid for it into it. With the VR6 motor it sounded great and ran strong. The 5 speed was great but not the best on gas. I loved the look of the car, inside and out and also for the year it had options some cars now still dont have. The only problem was mechanically. In the two years I had it I had to replace 4 wheel bearings, brake booster and master, shifter linkage, e-brake cables, serpentine belt and tensioner, both rear bar bushings, the ignition coil, hood latch, and I could keep going. Being a german car repair was not cheap either. All in all I loved it when it worked and went broke when it didnt."

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "a blast to drive! only 4,000 of these cars made!"

Cons: "keep up with maintnance and take good care of it."

"the only downside is that maintnance is critical! but if you take care of it you wont have any real issues outside of normal wear and tear as any vehicle would. i drive mine as hard as possible everyday! and never even had to put a clutch in. with a stage 1 tune and few other small modifications this little 4 cylinder can and does out run most V8's on the road. runs about a 9.4 in the 1/8th mile. and handles amazing around tight corners and curvey roads! and there's still room for the groceries!!! i doubt that i will ever sell mine, its to cheap and to fun to get rid of! the few times that i have drove it right i got about 29mpg and 22mpg when i have it slammed to the floor leaving rubber behind. cant beat it especially for it to be as fast as it is. but i honestly thought the value would be higher. it has factory Recaro Racing seats, big performance brakes, lowered suspension, 18" O.Z. racing wheels and more all from the factory. not to mention the impressive number plate on the dash surounded by brushed aluminum trim.."

2003 GTI

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Stylish, fun, fast, exciting, good mpgs"

Cons: "All your friends ask to drive your car!!!"

"I love every aspect of this car. Best VW ever made in my opinion."

I love this car, this car has made my life!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, amazing"

Cons: "awkward cup holder positioning haha"

"Had alot of problems when i first got car, but needed some simple maintenance and some love and shes reliable and handsdown the best car ive had. Ive come to realize volkswagen are reliable, you just cant neglect doing maintenance like some other car brands, hit your oil changes on time and you wont have a problem. Car is very comfortable, its fast, good gas mileage if your not hitting the boost from the turbo, if you are then expect to burn quite a bit. not as great on gas as other 4 cylinders, but definitely one of the fastest cars on the road a given times. I love it. wont ever sell mine"

Maintenance Upgrades = Fantastic daily driver!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, but upgrade the ECU for more power!"

Cons: "Heavy for a small car, expensive, turbo issues."

"I leased this car new in 2003 and have loved every mile I've driven it. I made sure it had all of the extras (leather, moon roof, premium sound, cold weather package, etc.) and it was worth every penny. My only serious gripe has been about the turbo. The stock turbo gives the car 180 HP, but is a bit laggy. And actually, mine failed at around 75K miles. Ironically, this was also just after I paid it off, having purchased it off the original lease. Fortunately, I bought an extended warrantee and had it fixed for under a $700. Another minor gripe is the interior. Many parts are PVC plastic, coated with a rubbery finish. After 7-8 years mine started peeling in several places and I've had to buy replacements. Since 2010 I've made some long-overdue upgrades that make the car SO much better: iPod integration, ECU chip upgrade (now pushing 210 HP), much better tires. I also made some easy cosmetic tweaks such as swapping the rear wiper for the sleeker Mark 5 version, getting a shorter antenna mast and swapping the front parking light lenses from amber to crystal. If I would have had the money I would have done all of the above sooner. I love the Long Beach style wheels it came with but would like to get them refurbished and powder coated. I've also purchased glass headlight replacement lenses, but I'm waiting for summer (and a trip to the detail shop) before installing them. I will probably keep this car for another 100K if I can. It's been garaged since new, and I just can't justify a car payment for anything that would compare to it. A 2013 GTI R, or BMW M3 is tempting, but why spend the money? My car is still fun, practical and paid for."