• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2000 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 260 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Best car of 36 that I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"Done regular service and still running with original engine (heads/values); transmission and clutch - only replaced water pumps; serpentine belts, brake pads and air filters. Utterly, the most reliable car we've owned - with a big plus on the entertainment side - good and comfortable driver."

It was the best

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Great car"

Cons: "Needs trany work"

"Until some hit me needs trany work. It's all ready out. Has new transaxle new rear end and front end has no hood must sell"

expensive as ---- for an econo mobile

By on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Pros: "Very tuneable. Great aftermarket base."

Cons: "It's from Germany, get it."

"I purchased this car with 57k miles back in 5/2009 because of the availability of aftermarket tuners. I know what this car is capable of and so does everyone else (ricers). The timing belt is weak but it also states that you should change it at 60k. If you go beyond that your surely asking for trouble. Mine's was changed previous to my purchase and I took it to 104k before I blew it up. It cost me between 5 and 7 grand to get it better than before. I basically had it rebuilt from the ground up with all new upgraded parts. Stroker kit (2.0) with h-beam rods and forged pistons, dual race springs/titanium retainers, ARP studs, Ferrara valves, B&G S2 coil overs, Brembo rotors/Hawk HPS pads, Hotchkis swaybar kit f&r, ES poly bushings, Black forest Industries poly engine mount and 3"downpipe w/cat, AWE Tuning 2.5" cat back, F1 Racing stage 2 clutch, Spectre 3"cone filter, 42 Draft Designs solid shifter bushings, Goodridge steel braided brake lines f&r, chip tuned by ? it makes 196whp/237lb ft before the rebuild, and Royal Purple oil. Whew!"

super sour lemon

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

"i bought this in jan of 2013 at 74K ... within 6 months, i had to replace the exhaust (about $400). ok, stuff happens. at november of the same year, i was driving on the highway and, without warning, the timing belt blew. that was at 84k+ ... was told, over the period of a few days, little by little, that i now needed a new engine as the timing belt blowout scarred the valves and ruined the motor. that bill came to $4500 ... i'm in the process of waiting to get it back from repair, but now i'm already anxious to drive it. i love the car, it's fun to drive and looks great, and is the perfect size for me and my needs. but now who knows? i've read online that there was a class action lawsuit in early 2000 re: bad timing belts going without warning and before the required checkup. just a word of warning to those looking to buy: make sure the timing belt is checked, as that will wreak serious havoc on your engine and finances."

best car for teens or twenty somethings

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

"I've had this case 8 years and absolutely love it. It is a little high maintenance due to the need for premium gas and synthetic oil but it's worth it. Mines been a normal 've, with odd quirks. The engine light never gone off lol, but there's nothing wrong with the car. It's been the most reliable car I all conditions, even a paper rout driving 4 hours a day and doing 100 miles a day. I have thought about selling it a couple times for something newer but I work never get the same speed and power for the cost and talk myself out of it every time. It destroys civics, unless they have 5000$ worth of mods. It even keeps up with the majority of muscle cars. It's perfect for the modding types, but really doesn't need anything other then stock power."

Bought this car brand new off the show room floor.

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Great car."

"The best vehicle I have ever owned, reliable and inexpensive to operate. No complaints."

BMW Performance at 1/2 the Value

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Driver's car! Sporty, torque, looks, hatch back"

Cons: "MPG, requires high test gas, poor low beams"

"I have owned six GTI's in the past and my '03 VR6 24v is my favorite of the bunch. The car is silly fast and I believe the GTI (2 door) is the best out there for the money. The 6 speed is sharp and crisp, the torque is amazing. While you can't mod it like a 1.8T, the VR6 is better in real world driving as the car pulls in just about any gear. The lines are the best of any GTI in my opinion, the quality of the build is top notch. The interior is comfy, AC is cold and the sound system is better than I need. The sport seats are great and offer great support. On long trips they aren't as good as I would hope, but the car is also 10 years old. The hatchback is a feature I will never be without again. The car is small, but it can hold just about anything with the seat down. I have never had any major maintenance concerns with the car. I run Amsoil in the car and it has never burned a drop. The body still looks amazing with no rust and the paint has held up very well. I have a set of snow tires for the winter and the car is increible in the snow, I don't know why people buy AWD cars. A good set of snows is all you need! I keep saying I am going to go buy a new GTI, but I just can't justify it because I continue to love the VR6 24v. The bad: The gas mileage is AWFUL for a small car. I am lucky to get 25 MPG on the highway and 22 around town. The car also runs high test gas, which I wouldn't mind if it go better mileage. The struts/shocks wore out quickly. Probably because there is so much weight from the VR6 over the front tires."

Love my little GTi

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Performance , reliability, economic."

Cons: "Could use a better sound system"

"This was my second car and i have trouble letting it go! i love everything about this car because it is fast, fun and comfortable at the same time."

Great car.....When it works.

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Reason: Unreliable

Pros: "Fun to drive, Looks, Options."

Cons: "Expensive!!!! Not very reliable."

"I had one of these for over two years. It was a great car, when it worked. I got it cheap because there was a few things wrong with it but wound up putting almost as much as I paid for it into it. With the VR6 motor it sounded great and ran strong. The 5 speed was great but not the best on gas. I loved the look of the car, inside and out and also for the year it had options some cars now still dont have. The only problem was mechanically. In the two years I had it I had to replace 4 wheel bearings, brake booster and master, shifter linkage, e-brake cables, serpentine belt and tensioner, both rear bar bushings, the ignition coil, hood latch, and I could keep going. Being a german car repair was not cheap either. All in all I loved it when it worked and went broke when it didnt."

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "a blast to drive! only 4,000 of these cars made!"

Cons: "keep up with maintnance and take good care of it."

"the only downside is that maintnance is critical! but if you take care of it you wont have any real issues outside of normal wear and tear as any vehicle would. i drive mine as hard as possible everyday! and never even had to put a clutch in. with a stage 1 tune and few other small modifications this little 4 cylinder can and does out run most V8's on the road. runs about a 9.4 in the 1/8th mile. and handles amazing around tight corners and curvey roads! and there's still room for the groceries!!! i doubt that i will ever sell mine, its to cheap and to fun to get rid of! the few times that i have drove it right i got about 29mpg and 22mpg when i have it slammed to the floor leaving rubber behind. cant beat it especially for it to be as fast as it is. but i honestly thought the value would be higher. it has factory Recaro Racing seats, big performance brakes, lowered suspension, 18" O.Z. racing wheels and more all from the factory. not to mention the impressive number plate on the dash surounded by brushed aluminum trim.."

See if you qualify for