2000 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 261 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

best car for teens or twenty somethings

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

"I've had this case 8 years and absolutely love it. It is a little high maintenance due to the need for premium gas and synthetic oil but it's worth it. Mines been a normal 've, with odd quirks. The engine light never gone off lol, but there's nothing wrong with the car. It's been the most reliable car I all conditions, even a paper rout driving 4 hours a day and doing 100 miles a day. I have thought about selling it a couple times for something newer but I work never get the same speed and power for the cost and talk myself out of it every time. It destroys civics, unless they have 5000$ worth of mods. It even keeps up with the majority of muscle cars. It's perfect for the modding types, but really doesn't need anything other then stock power."

Bought this car brand new off the show room floor.

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Great car."

"The best vehicle I have ever owned, reliable and inexpensive to operate. No complaints."

BMW Performance at 1/2 the Value

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Driver's car! Sporty, torque, looks, hatch back"

Cons: "MPG, requires high test gas, poor low beams"

"I have owned six GTI's in the past and my '03 VR6 24v is my favorite of the bunch. The car is silly fast and I believe the GTI (2 door) is the best out there for the money. The 6 speed is sharp and crisp, the torque is amazing. While you can't mod it like a 1.8T, the VR6 is better in real world driving as the car pulls in just about any gear. The lines are the best of any GTI in my opinion, the quality of the build is top notch. The interior is comfy, AC is cold and the sound system is better than I need. The sport seats are great and offer great support. On long trips they aren't as good as I would hope, but the car is also 10 years old. The hatchback is a feature I will never be without again. The car is small, but it can hold just about anything with the seat down. I have never had any major maintenance concerns with the car. I run Amsoil in the car and it has never burned a drop. The body still looks amazing with no rust and the paint has held up very well. I have a set of snow tires for the winter and the car is increible in the snow, I don't know why people buy AWD cars. A good set of snows is all you need! I keep saying I am going to go buy a new GTI, but I just can't justify it because I continue to love the VR6 24v. The bad: The gas mileage is AWFUL for a small car. I am lucky to get 25 MPG on the highway and 22 around town. The car also runs high test gas, which I wouldn't mind if it go better mileage. The struts/shocks wore out quickly. Probably because there is so much weight from the VR6 over the front tires."

Love my little GTi

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Performance , reliability, economic."

Cons: "Could use a better sound system"

"This was my second car and i have trouble letting it go! i love everything about this car because it is fast, fun and comfortable at the same time."

Great car.....When it works.

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Reason: Unreliable

Pros: "Fun to drive, Looks, Options."

Cons: "Expensive!!!! Not very reliable."

"I had one of these for over two years. It was a great car, when it worked. I got it cheap because there was a few things wrong with it but wound up putting almost as much as I paid for it into it. With the VR6 motor it sounded great and ran strong. The 5 speed was great but not the best on gas. I loved the look of the car, inside and out and also for the year it had options some cars now still dont have. The only problem was mechanically. In the two years I had it I had to replace 4 wheel bearings, brake booster and master, shifter linkage, e-brake cables, serpentine belt and tensioner, both rear bar bushings, the ignition coil, hood latch, and I could keep going. Being a german car repair was not cheap either. All in all I loved it when it worked and went broke when it didnt."