2000 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 260 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

2003 GTI

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Stylish, fun, fast, exciting, good mpgs"

Cons: "All your friends ask to drive your car!!!"

"I love every aspect of this car. Best VW ever made in my opinion."

I love this car, this car has made my life!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, amazing"

Cons: "awkward cup holder positioning haha"

"Had alot of problems when i first got car, but needed some simple maintenance and some love and shes reliable and handsdown the best car ive had. Ive come to realize volkswagen are reliable, you just cant neglect doing maintenance like some other car brands, hit your oil changes on time and you wont have a problem. Car is very comfortable, its fast, good gas mileage if your not hitting the boost from the turbo, if you are then expect to burn quite a bit. not as great on gas as other 4 cylinders, but definitely one of the fastest cars on the road a given times. I love it. wont ever sell mine"

Maintenance Upgrades = Fantastic daily driver!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, but upgrade the ECU for more power!"

Cons: "Heavy for a small car, expensive, turbo issues."

"I leased this car new in 2003 and have loved every mile I've driven it. I made sure it had all of the extras (leather, moon roof, premium sound, cold weather package, etc.) and it was worth every penny. My only serious gripe has been about the turbo. The stock turbo gives the car 180 HP, but is a bit laggy. And actually, mine failed at around 75K miles. Ironically, this was also just after I paid it off, having purchased it off the original lease. Fortunately, I bought an extended warrantee and had it fixed for under a $700. Another minor gripe is the interior. Many parts are PVC plastic, coated with a rubbery finish. After 7-8 years mine started peeling in several places and I've had to buy replacements. Since 2010 I've made some long-overdue upgrades that make the car SO much better: iPod integration, ECU chip upgrade (now pushing 210 HP), much better tires. I also made some easy cosmetic tweaks such as swapping the rear wiper for the sleeker Mark 5 version, getting a shorter antenna mast and swapping the front parking light lenses from amber to crystal. If I would have had the money I would have done all of the above sooner. I love the Long Beach style wheels it came with but would like to get them refurbished and powder coated. I've also purchased glass headlight replacement lenses, but I'm waiting for summer (and a trip to the detail shop) before installing them. I will probably keep this car for another 100K if I can. It's been garaged since new, and I just can't justify a car payment for anything that would compare to it. A 2013 GTI R, or BMW M3 is tempting, but why spend the money? My car is still fun, practical and paid for."

I LOVE MY GTI!!!

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "FAST,FUN,RELIABLE,GREAT ON GAS!!!"

Cons: "Expensive replacement parts and suspension build."

"I have loved my car since the day i got it. It has a few upgrades on her and shes a rocket!!!! I broke a few things on it and they were spendy but i will tell you that if you are worried about spending money on this car DONT BUY ONE because they are very pricey for alot of things like my $200 in dash cup holder... SO I LOVE MY CAR but there not cheap."

Looks good...

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, nice on the eye's"

Cons: "Expensive when things break, and they will break"

"I have had this car for almost 5 years now. The car in it's prime was amazing. It was quick for a little 4 cylinder. It looked nice and had awesome features. Almost immediately after the warranty expired things changed. All of the material in the car has become unglued due to the Florida heat. I had to get the roof and door pannels fixed. At 60k miles the turbo started to give me issues. I was able to drive if for a few months before oil began to leak from the turbo. In the end I had to rebuild the turbo. The car looks awesome, but once that warranty expires you're in for some trouble."

great until you need to do basic maintanence.

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "fuel eco. fun to drive"

Cons: "expensive to have work done"

"Ive had this car now for about 5 years and I enjoy it very much for my basic daily driver.... It has been very dependable so far. The goods: quick- excellent if you do alot of city driving and need to adjel :) good fuel millage- I average 30-32mpg. Fun- the factory recaro seats form to all drivers with many adjustments, and are also heated makes you form to the car making you want to speed all the time lol... The bads: Absolutly the worst car in the winter even with snow tires and EPS ( the brakes pulse in such a way to keep your car out of a skid) more than once it almost got me into an accident. Expensive- very expensive to have ANY type of work done and I do mean any and all! figure double."

Absurdly Great Car for the money

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

"Great engine. Ride height low enough to be sporty, high enough not to scrape every driveway in town. Pros - Engine, Handling, Seats, Stereo, Visibility, Utility, Fun to Drive, Drives like a much more expensive car Cons - adequate gas mileage, every plastic latch has broken and been replaced, clutch and flywheel lasted less than 50k miles"

Owned this car for 10 good years

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, great touring car"

Cons: "They don't build this body anymore..."

"This has been a great car. Only issue with it was a power window safety device about a year into my ownership. Dealer recall handled that and it's worked perfectly in the subsequent years since 2003 - and I still own the car. Mileage declined a bit around 100K miles, had some tuneup work done by dealership and now mileage is even better than when the car was new. I guess they reprogrammed the chip or something when they put new plugs and stuff on it. Rubber hoses started to deteriorate at age 10 years so just replaced those too. Ran autocross with car for a year or two and even that hasn't hurt this German jewel! What a value this car has been... I love my heated seats too! Also, I put a hitch on to tow a light trailer with 500 pound moto- no problems. Zero, zip! Great car.. buy one!"

Best German sport aconomic vehicle out there!!

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "Horse power and style"

Cons: "little space in the back"

"This car has it all....If you like Power,speed, looks and economy then this is your car. I've owned VW all my life and have no complains on none of them, but this one is a step up for VW performance. It has a unique interior design that makes you fill like in a drift/race car and once you start your trip it is so smooth. The turbo charged engine asks nothing to the power of an 8 cylinder and the 6th gear leaves everybody on the freeway with their mouth open! I think Blue Book should bump up the value....just a thought..lol"

Best car I've ever driven!

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "fast good on gas. very good looking."

Cons: "none."

"Wow this car is an amazing little 4 cyl very very powerful and fun. great handling. has a great monsoon sound system. People always want to race me with their little Hondas but they cant handle it haha. this is a great car i love it."

See if you qualify for