2000 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 262 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Greatest car i have ever driven

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pros: "quick, safe, decent looking"

Cons: "no cup holders"

"This is by-far the greatest vehicle i have ever owned. it's quick, great on gas, and easy to modify. Not only do you get a great car, but you should also know that you get to be a part of a VW community who is always willing to help and better your vehicle and driving capabilities."

I especially love the heated seats!

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, very comfy seats"

Cons: "gas mileage could be better"

"My 2005 GTI has been a good vehicle. It is comfortable and fun to drive. It is quite fast and handles well. I would be more enthusiastic if I had not owned a Honda CRX Si previously. The GTI is both faster and more comfortable but the Honda due to its lighter weight was much more fun. And it got 30 MPG. The GTI regularly turns in 20 MPG which is not bad for a performance car but again I was spoiled by the Honda. I bought it used with 35,000 miles on it and it now is close to 100,000. I have replaced the tires, battery and brakes but I consider that to be routine maintenance. I also had to replace the catalytic converter not long ago. I have never had to do that on any other car but I figure once you are over 90,000 miles pretty much anything can and will break. I will be doing the timing chain when I bring it in for servicing again. But although this is an expensive repair it is part of routine maintenance. All in all it is a very good budget sports car that is well disguised. The earlier models do not have any flashy red badges so they look like a regular car (unless you pay attention to the larger wide tires.) I have gotten out of a ticket once or twice by incredulously looking at the policeman who had clocked me and saying "In a Volkswagen Golf? Are you sure that thing is working properly?" If I did not miss my CRX (hands down the greatest most fun car I have ever driven) my ratings would be much higher"

Dub love

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pros: "Hot hatch handles on rails!"

Cons: "neglect maint. and it will punish you!"

"Take care of her and she will take care of you. I've seen these roll up to 600K YES SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES ON THE ORIGINAL ENGINE!"

Best car of 36 that I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"Done regular service and still running with original engine (heads/values); transmission and clutch - only replaced water pumps; serpentine belts, brake pads and air filters. Utterly, the most reliable car we've owned - with a big plus on the entertainment side - good and comfortable driver."

It was the best

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Great car"

Cons: "Needs trany work"

"Until some hit me needs trany work. It's all ready out. Has new transaxle new rear end and front end has no hood must sell"